The Student Room Group

Dissertation research proposal

Right,

I have been sent some ethical approval form that I have had since 25th June (yes I know, a long time) and part of the form has asked me to attach a research proposal. I have done as much as I can, however im stuck on the part where its asking for ''Background''. Now im guessing it is asking me for background info on the topic, but I don't know whether to be brief or go into thorough detail. My tutor has said just fill out as much as you can - as this is still the thinking stage of the project.

Can someone who has either done a dissertation or is clued up on all this, give me some ideas of what the heck im meant to be doing exactly.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
DancinBallerina
Right,

I have been sent some ethical approval form that I have had since 25th June (yes I know, a long time) and part of the form has asked me to attach a research proposal. I have done as much as I can, however im stuck on the part where its asking for ''Background''. Now im guessing it is asking me for background info on the topic, but I don't know whether to be brief or go into thorough detail. My tutor has said just fill out as much as you can - as this is still the thinking stage of the project.

Can someone who has either done a dissertation or is clued up on all this, give me some ideas of what the heck im meant to be doing exactly.

Thanks in advance :smile:

The proposal is basically getting your thoughts down on paper and starting to shape your dissertation. I'm unsure what sort of background they're looking for, but for my proposal I had to fill out a title, abstract, overall aims, research objectives, justification, preliminary literature review, proposed methods and proposed study area.

My guess would be that they are looking for a sort of literature review, and maybe combining that with a justification for the project.

Latest

Trending

Trending