Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok...so I have a job at a local cafe but am moving to South America in 3 weeks.

I have had this planned for quite some time and let my work know 6 months ago that this would be happening. Now, my school exams have finished I have been working 40 hour weeks with no breaks since April, and no holiday pay either.

Basically Ive had enough and need a rest and time to prepare before I go. They are nice bosses but I feel a lil used tbh, I get £4 an hour and sometimes Im the ONLY waitress on, serving the entire cafe whilst they rake in the money.

So I finally told them yesterday that Ill be finishing soon and they are demanding that I work til next SUnday! No holiday pay!!!

HONESTLY PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINION/ADVICE.

ReputationRep:
    Complain to ofcom or something, it's not normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karunesh)
    Complain to ofcom or something, it's not normal.
    Ofcom are going to going to do jizz all about it. Ofcom is the communications watchdog :/

ReputationRep:
    ofcom haha. sounds like you are to be honest! under 18s shud legally have a break every 4 hrs so u shud b gettin that!

ReputationRep:
    The basics of holiday rights

There is a minimum right to paid holiday, but your employer may offer more than this. The main things you should know about holiday rights are that:

* you are entitled to a minimum of 5.6 weeks paid annual leave (28 days for someone working five days a week)
    * part-time workers are entitled to the same level of holiday pro rata (so 5.6 times your usual working week, eg 22.4 days for someone working four days a week)
    * you start building up holiday as soon as you start work
    * your employer can control when you take your holiday
    * you get paid your normal pay for your holiday
    * when you finish a job, you get paid for any holiday you have not taken
    * bank and public holidays can be included in your minimum entitlement
    * you continue to be entitled to your holiday leave throughout your ordinary and additional maternity leave and paternity and adoption leave

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ys/DG_10029788
    You are entitled to receive any holiday pay you haven't used when you leave if you employer fails to allow you to use up your entitlement.

Unless your contract specifies otherwise the generally accepted amount of notice you have to give before leaving is around one week. So if you told your employer yesterday it's understandable they want you to work until next week.

I recommend speaking to your local citizens advice bureau, your employer doesn't sound like they're being entirely fair especially with regards to breaks http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't agreed to a contract with your employer there is probably very little you can do!

(Original post by Belkin)
    If you haven't agreed to a contract with your employer there is probably very little you can do!
    This.

If you didn't sign a contract with your employer, they can get you doing what ever they heck they want you to do!!!

Also working without a break is breaking the working law - working time directive and all that jizz explains what you are entitled to (break wise).

To get further advice - Citizens Advice Bureau :yep:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belkin)
    ofcom haha. sounds like you are to be honest! under 18s shud legally have a break every 4 hrs so u shud b gettin that!
    I think the OP meant breaks as in days off. Hoping so anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfers_Paradise*09*)
    I think the OP meant breaks as in days off. Hoping so anyway!
    No, lunch breaks, tea breaks...whatever you call them. Basically, Ill have a 10 hour shift and won't be allowed to sit down once. AND i get evils If I get a glass of water . I WANT OUT!!!! .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    This.

If you didn't sign a contract with your employer, they can get you doing what ever they heck they want you to do!!!

Also working without a break is breaking the working law - working time directive and all that jizz explains what you are entitled to (break wise).

To get further advice - Citizens Advice Bureau :yep:.
    Yeah, but since I didn't sign a contract and have NO FEAR of being sacked. Then really, I can do anything I want to do as well noi?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    You are entitled to receive any holiday pay you haven't used when you leave if you employer fails to allow you to use up your entitlement.

Unless your contract specifies otherwise the generally accepted amount of notice you have to give before leaving is around one week. So if you told your employer yesterday it's understandable they want you to work until next week.

I recommend speaking to your local citizens advice bureau, your employer doesn't sound like they're being entirely fair especially with regards to breaks http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/
    Thank-you. So if I was working 40 + hour weeks I should have been getting PAID holidays!? Ppffffft! Thats it, Im going in tomorrow morning and telling her I will work "today and tomorrow" and if she argues I will just make a point that I haven't been given breaks or paid holidays.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    All I can really mention on, if you said 6 months ago you were leaving, was it written down and filed?
    I know from experience it takes more than notice verbally, has to be in some form of letter etc.

As for the breaks you should be entitled to them, longer ones if you're under 18.

I'd definately speak to the citizen advice bureau, because I doubt a café would have a workers union sort of thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShortyGetLow)
    All I can really mention on, if you said 6 months ago you were leaving, was it written down and filed?
    I know from experience it takes more than notice verbally, has to be in some form of letter etc.

As for the breaks you should be entitled to them, longer ones if you're under 18.

I'd definitely speak to the citizen advice bureau, because I doubt a café would have a workers union sort of thing?
    No, but tbh, its all cash in hand and nothing is written down. She never asked for a written notice and when I said 6 monthws ago that I was leaving she accepted it and started going about finding a replacement. Its not as if they are AT ALL short of staff. She has plenty of waitresses who feel they aren't being given enough hours. WHy? Because she's giving them all to me as Im cheaper to employ but do the same level of work.

But do you think its reasonable for me to say to her that I will only work today and tomorrow??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exeteroredinburgh)
    No, but tbh, its all cash in hand and nothing is written down. She never asked for a written notice and when I said 6 monthws ago that I was leaving she accepted it and started going about finding a replacement. Its not as if they are AT ALL short of staff. She has plenty of waitresses who feel they aren't being given enough hours. WHy? Because she's giving them all to me as Im cheaper to employ but do the same level of work.

But do you think its reasonable for me to say to her that I will only work today and tomorrow??
    If there is no contract then just collect your money one day and don't go back...

ReputationRep:

Yes, they can't make you work there :P You can leave whenever you want. Just don't expect a dazzling reference :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waheyyyy)
    If there is no contract then just collect your money one day and don't go back...
    Okdoki! That is what Im gonna do!! Weeeeelllll, actually ive been paid today so could really just not go in tomorrow....hmmm. She is gonna be one mighty annoyed mo' fo'!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    Yes, they can't make you work there :P You can leave whenever you want. Just don't expect a dazzling reference :P
    Well luckily I don't really think ill ever need a refrence from them

ReputationRep:

Definately, Im assuming your hours aren't contracted? Just say your busy & need a break etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShortyGetLow)
    definitely, Im assuming your hours aren't contracted? Just say your busy & need a break etc
    LOL....I did and she kinda went off the head saying that I had a "verbal contract" and that I was now gonna get NO breaks and NO days off etc etc until I finish completely and then told me I had to work for the next 10 days!!!! And today she kept saying that she was "too good" to me.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Tell her to stick her job.

I'm also fairly sure she's breaking the law.

Edit: Here we go, taken from the DirectGov website:
    "If you suspect your employer of not paying tax or National Insurance contributions on your wages you can report them in confidence using the Tax Evasion Hotline on 0800 788 887."

Also have a look at this CAB Advice Sheet:
    http://www.citizensadvice.co.uk/Docu...0(English).pdf

Your employer is almost certainly breaking the law in numerous ways.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.