Turn on thread page Beta

Whole new life - should I, and where? watch

Ok, so i recently went through a really traumatising incident, involving a few members of my 'family', and the Police are involved, but it's hard to get hard evidence, so i think they're gonna get off. Anyway, I desperately need to get away from them, far away, as I'm terrified of them, and once the Police are no longer involved I know they will come after me again and hurt me. Where should i move to which would be safe and secure, but not too big a change, and not somewhere where nobody speaks english, or the culture is too drastically different?

I don't have a great deal of money, but I have a friend who can help me out for a while.

ReputationRep:
    It does depend how old you are, but if its really what you wanted and assuming how old you are, you can put yourself into care.

(Original post by dogie)
    It does depend how old you are, but if its really what you wanted and assuming how old you are, you can put yourself into care.
    I'm 18.

ReputationRep:
    Ireland.

Its cheap and no one will find you there if you dont want them too.

You dont need a visa or anything either

(Original post by stainluss)
    Ireland.

Oh, and also what precautions can i take to make sure I can;t be found? I know about being ex-directory and not being on the edited electoral register, but is there anything i'm forgetting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Oh, and also what precautions can i take to make sure I can;t be found? I know about being ex-directory and not being on the edited electoral register, but is there anything i'm forgetting?
    In Ireland, there is v. little else.

Especially rural areas/small towns!

Are you sure you're not being irrational? I'm really not trivilising your situation! But sometimes where things as drastic as what it sounds happened to you, your emotions do get the better of you.

If you have thought this through thoroughly, you could move anywhere. Absolutely anywhere. They wouldn't find out unless they told you, anyway. You are 18 now, an adult.

ReputationRep:
    If you're serious, go to somewhere like Ireland, get a job and do your best to try and emigrate somewhere amazing once you have some money and some skills to offer (like Australia). Nowhere better to reinvent yourself. Just remember that you are still young, most things can be worked out and even when you finish running the problems stay with you.

ReputationRep:
    Running away doesn't always solve the problem.

ReputationRep:
    its impossible for people to find other people even if they live in the same country if say the person changes there name, I think u should limit the distance u move away from home incase u have to get back or feel like coming back

ReputationRep:
    Australia/New Zealand are probabaly the the most similar, although visa's are a pain in the ass, and take time.

Ireland is also a good call.

If your really worried about being found, change your name, and generally give your address to as as few people as possible.

And to echo someone else above: are you SURE it's 100% necessary? Assuming your going alone, it seems drastic to wave goodbye to all your friends to move to another country on your own with no help?

ReputationRep:
    You need money and prospects wherever you're going, although if there's somewhere you have friends/relatives, that's a good place to start.

ReputationRep:
    Afghanistan

ReputationRep:
    sweden, ireland, holland, canada? good luck with whatever you do!

ReputationRep:
    OP is definitely a troll.

ReputationRep:
    Ireland.

Umm... Ireland is now the most expensive country in the EU.

I know because I'm half Irish and have family there...

ReputationRep:
    In Ireland, there is v. little else.

Especially rural areas/small towns!
    Er, no jobs going in Ireland either. My cousin hasn't had one for months, and one other just lost his job. Everyone is losing their jobs now in rural areas, my gran tells my mum all this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    Umm... Ireland is now the most expensive country in the EU.

I know because I'm half Irish and have family there...
    It isn't that bad in rural areas like villages in Donegal, only in the main cities like Dublin and Cork.
    Although I heard the minimum wage is above nine euro!
    It would still be pretty desperate to find a job though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by project_natal)
    It isn't that bad in rural areas like villages in Donegal, only in the main cities like Dublin and Cork.
    Although I heard the minimum wage is above nine euro!
    It would still be pretty desperate to find a job though.
    It's very bad in the rural area of Killenaule, Tipperary... everyone seems to be losing their jobs in factories, secruity guards, greyhound sites... and end up working for family instead... much worse then Reading (got a p/t job at Mc Donalds recently).

However, my cousin who now lives in Dublin still has her job as a secretry, and my mum's friend in Cork as a nurse...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    It's very bad in the rural area of Killenaule, Tipperary... everyone seems to be losing their jobs in factories, secruity guards, greyhound sites... and end up working for family instead... much worse then Reading (got a p/t job at Mc Donalds recently).

However, my cousin who now lives in Dublin still has her job as a secretry, and my mum's friend in Cork as a nurse...
    I was talking about how expensive the places where. The job market is very bad, most of my familly from Donegal have lost their jobs. Most people in Ireland rely on tourism.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.