Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    --

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammyted1)
    1. Is Freshers' compulsory, or can one start at the beginning of lectures? What is the arrangement regarding that week?

I should quite like to go and make acquaintances, although I am not the clubbing type and I feel meeting people in that sort of environment is a bit like playing squash in the dark - are there others who will prefer to just have a drink in a pub somewhere?

2. Is Shackleton decent? Is it prone to the lager louts who will bang on your door at 3am, for example.

3. What % of privately educated students are there at the University?

4. One of my character faults is that I am a bit of an intellectual snob (to a certain level) - are there many people who couldn't tell you whether Islam is a religion or a country, or whether Auschwitz was a ski resort in the Alps or a concentration camp? This is a daft question, although at my school, these questions were asked by people in my year...

5. How would you rate the University as a whole?

hi...freshers is not compulsory..HOWEVER...it is highly recommended as this is the time when you get things such as your uni ID card and go to the freshers fair, the societies fair, job hunting fair etc. all are worthwhile going to in my opinion. Also, regarding the clubnights..not everyone goes on them...my advice would be to not buy a freshers pack...join your accommodations facebook group and either message on there to see who is not going out or knock on doors (highly recommended) don't forget these are just nighttime events..daytime gives you chance to get to know your flatmates better and go and explore the uni and birmingham as there is so much to see (im going into my second year and i was still finding my way round at the end of last term, finding new places). I know a few people who didn't come for freshers and they regretted it as they didn't seem to know as many people as others who went...and some evenings aren't clubnights anyway...they may have pizza n cider get together at the accommodation for example.

unfortunately i can't tell you anything about shackleton as i was in Beeches last yr and this yr coming as well...and i don't know the % of privately educated students.

I'm sure there will be people who don't know those sort of things...even though Uni of Birmingham has high entry grades generally doesn't determine whether students have good general knowledge.

general rating: well teaching levels are exceptionally high across many schools...buildings are generally nice (obviously some more than others), societies and other social events are good, there are many of them and well organised. Also, not related to the university, the city centre is great. i may be biased but 10/10.

ReputationRep:
    1. Is Freshers' compulsory, or can one start at the beginning of lectures? What is the arrangement regarding that week?

I should quite like to go and make acquaintances, although I am not the clubbing type and I feel meeting people in that sort of environment is a bit like playing squash in the dark - are there others who will prefer to just have a drink in a pub somewhere?

2. Is Shackleton decent? Is it prone to the lager louts who will bang on your door at 3am, for example.

4. One of my character faults is that I am a bit of an intellectual snob (to a certain level) - are there many people who couldn't tell you whether Islam is a religion or a country, or whether Auschwitz was a ski resort in the Alps or a concentration camp? This is a daft question, although at my school, these questions were asked by people in my year...

Please don't go to birmingham

ReputationRep:
    Freshers is a good time to make friends even if you do not go to everything I would try. I missed freshers for other reasons and regretted it alot as it was very hard to make friends initially. I also hate clubs.

To be honest to get into university you have to have some brains so stupid questions are limited to late night drinking mainly! Basically do worry about it you will fit in.

What will you be reading?

Pros Birmingham,
    1) Nice campus University with nice good departments ane teaching
    2) Law and Geology are in a great location!
    3) Good University spirit and active guild (student union) which is being refurbed as we speak
    4) Excellent Library and computer provisions
    5) Student societys are active and varied and alot specific to courses so easy to meet people with similar intrests
    6) Active sports societies and excellent facilities
    7) Easy access (has its own station) to central Birmingham and SellyOak close by for general stuff e.g supermarkets etc
    8) Great arpproachble council service and niteline

Cons
    1) Can be a bit difficult living at home to commute etc though an excellent freshers off campus soc
    2 Accomodation in Selly Oak isn't fantastic although there are some nice places
    3) Cost of dorms (now the same everywhere to be honest)
    4) Maybe to big sometimes!

ReputationRep:

Hello Sammyted1,

Freshers is up to you although I would recommend it as it will help you to get to know other people and generally have a good time.

I wouldn't worry about people knocking on your door at god knows what hours - it is somewhat rare.

I would imagine there are quite few privately educated students, though I wouldn't let this put you off.

The university is full of 'intellectual snobs' like you describe yourself so I shouldn't see any problem.

The university consists of a very nice campus in a decent area with good facilities - I am sure you will enjoy it.

Have fun and may all your dreams come true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    jk1986...whats wrong with Birmingham...you should back up your point with reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think jk1986 might have some concerns about this part of Sammyted1's post, perhaps "I am a bit of an intellectual snob " ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insightful_Mandarin)
    Do you think jk1986 might have some concerns about this part of Sammyted1's post, perhaps "I am a bit of an intellectual snob " ?
    Haha hit the nail on the head, I'm actually going to Birmingham in September can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    :confused:
    explain why

ReputationRep:
    When does freshers week start?

ReputationRep:
    22nd September

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GregoBecks)
    22nd September
    it starts on a tuesday?? I thought it was the 21st..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    it starts on a tuesday?? I thought it was the 21st..
    I have to stop this. I keep thinking Monday is the 22nd.

It starts on Monday 21st September. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GregoBecks)
    I have to stop this. I keep thinking Monday is the 22nd.

It starts on Monday 21st September. :yes:
    hahah :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.