Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Couldn't some buildings in London do with a lick of paint and some renovation? watch

ReputationRep:
    As every one of the buildings you've mentioned is listed, the renovation/restoration would have to go through English Heritage. The organisation is astonishingly festidious and anal about what can be done to buildings under it's purview.

Any work would take years and years to plan, then more to enact. Putting it into perspective, York Minster has been constantly renovated/restored for the past 20 years.

There's still 70 years work left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    Yes, let's paint st pauls green.
    NO!!!

That'll just be like a SAW house where they torture people!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ykljdsfdg)
    Oh yea! Have you seen the building south of Euston on the southbound one way system!?

It's as if someone painted it black! I bet they don't have open days there!
    There are so many fugly, dirty UCL buildings, do you mean this one? http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=dray...,114.31,,0,9.8

It's the Economics department and I did have an open day there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetroll)
    This isn't your mum's patio, and we're talking about decades of pollution build-up. A 50 quid B&Q pressure washer isn't the thing.
    its called hyperbole - exageration for effect - i was trying to say it doesnt cost that much to clean them.

jeeeeeeeeeez

ReputationRep:
    What you should have done is build in a darker stone. Edinburgh, for example, used to be a smog-filled hovel just like London - but as the buildings got covered with soot, they just looked more distinguished. Case in point: the (Sir Walter) Scott Monument.

I'm not being entirely serious, of course. I like that London has so many white buildings and has a unique and interesting architectural heritage.

(Original post by EmJay)
    Centre Point needs to be knocked down, in my opinion. It's one of the ugliest buildings in London.
    Agreed. Alas, it is actually Grade-II listed.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly the way to keep the buildings in London clean is to institute a zero-emissions zone within the North Circular, which lets be honest isn't immediately practical now is it? I would love to see all vehicles powered either by hydrogen fuel cells or electric batteries, certainly within urban areas.

As to comparing London's historic buildings, which are mostly only a couple of hundred years older than those in the US, or sometimes even newer thanks to The Great Fire of 1666, and of course The Palace of Westminster burning down in IIRC the 1830's (so tHoP are only 150-odd years old). None of them are painted, its all natural stone, brick, etc... Compared to for example 'The White House', which is white because the Canadians burnt it down during the war of 1812, so they whitewashed the bricks to stop it looking like the burnt out shell that it really was...

So most US buildings are indeed painted, at least as far as I am aware. I'd quite like to visit Washington some time to see for myself though, but other than some big buildings that I've seen on the news and in films, largely getting blown up by aliens, etc... There isn't really all that much else to see...

ReputationRep:
    Basic renovation and a little freshening up would definately help. Nowadays, most of them from the inside are very modern even though they're hundreds of years old. I think the exteriors could definately do with some fresh coat of paint, get rid of the bird poop, moss and mud stains.

I love London (having lived here all my life) but to be honest when I've been to other capitals, aesthetically I've been left disappointed with London. Right now it's neither classical nor modern, it's just a horrible mix and match. Most capitals have one uniform theme set but London's layout isn't really all that great. There's some great classical archiecture, mixed with fantastic modern buildings like the Gerken and then there's some really hideous cheap concrete blocks between.

I think the only thing keeping London up there is the history, the culture, certainly its significance as a finance centre and the fact that it is the one and only London. However, I fear that in a few decades it will fall behind to other emerging capitals around the world :sad:

ReputationRep:
    The V&A needs some work on it, particularly the side running along Exhibition Road.

ReputationRep:
    Always about London isn't it?

Come up north and I'll show you some cities that really do need renovating.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because London is so impoverished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownpleasures)

This ^
    The nicest building in Grimsby would be regarded as an eyesore in London.

ReputationRep:
    This is another of those hideous buildings in the London - Guys Hospital. Hopefully, this one is not listed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eulerwaswrong)
    its called hyperbole - exageration for effect - i was trying to say it doesnt cost that much to clean them.
    Yes, thank you. And I was pointing out that it costs far, far more than you seem able to grasp. Far more.

jeeeeeeeeeez
    Quite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownpleasures)

London contains buildings of world renown. Northern cities, on the whole, not so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmJay)
    This is another of those hideous buildings in the London - Guys Hospital. Hopefully, this one is not listed.

Haha it's def ugly but guy's is meant to be the tallest hospital in the world so can't see it getting knocked down!

If you want ugly buildings try Croydon, practically every building near East Croydon is a concrete monstrosity!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    If you want ugly buildings try Croydon, practically every building near East Croydon is a concrete monstrosity!
    Lol, you have a point. The NLA Tower is especially horrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmJay)
    Lol, you have a point. The NLA Tower is especially horrible.
    lmao I work in it - 7th floor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    lmao I work in it - 7th floor
    Haha - honestly? I hope it's prettier inside than it is outside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmJay)
    Haha - honestly? I hope it's prettier inside than it is outside.
    Yeah its pretty hideous on the outside, have a brilliant view of the post office concrete from my window.
    To be fair its ok on the inside, decent views from the top floor, and its all open plan but just standard office space.

Renamed from "NLA tower" to "No. 1 Croydon" now which is a bit presumptuous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetroll)
    Yes, thank you. And I was pointing out that it costs far, far more than you seem able to grasp. Far more.

Quite.
    i have no facts, figures or experience - i was just guessing that it wouldnt cost that much to clean the external walls of a public building relative to the running of that building.

If you know otherwise please enlighten me - facts, figures links would be appreciated

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.