Turn on thread page Beta

Which is the best option? watch

ReputationRep:
    Which would you choose, and which do you think would be a better option for enrolling on the BVC and gaining a pupilage?

LLB at poor/mediocre university.
    +
    LLM at above average to good university.

Or

BA or BSC at above average to good university.
    +
    GDL.

Or

LLB at poor/mediocre university and taking your chances.
    -
    Cost of LLM/GDL and taking an extra year out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)

Or

+
    GDL.
    Preferably good, not average university

+ excellent grades at school

+ excellent grades at degree/prizes etc

+ good extra-currics (eg mooting etc)

Worth reading some of the recent threads on the BVC etc and Simon Myerson's blog. The competitiveness at the Bar is phenomenal.

ReputationRep:
    Or

+
    GDL.

Or
    Out of the 3, that's probably your best option.

I second what Chalks says about making sure you are going into this with your eyes open.

ReputationRep:
    The quality of the University is by far and away the most important thing.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hijack the thread op.

(Original post by Simon Myerson QC)
    How specifically do they measure the quality of university? Do they keep old league tables from the years the applicants would have been applying, or is it just done using a broad idea of how good a certain uni is? If they are using the league tables, do they use the law specific ones or the overall ones? Would say Durham and Bristol be seen as equivalent even thought they don’t tie on the league tables? And both better than Exeter and Cardiff or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittten)
    How specifically do they measure the quality of university? Do they keep old league tables from the years the applicants would have been applying, or is it just done using a broad idea of how good a certain uni is? If they are using the league tables, do they use the law specific ones or the overall ones? Would say Durham and Bristol be seen as equivalent even thought they don’t tie on the league tables? And both better than Exeter and Cardiff or something?
    I don't think they really look at league tables. Firms/Chambers will have their own ideas about what are good universities (based on their general reputations and the quality of trainees/pupils who have come from those universities in the past) and at most places this will consist of the usual suspects (Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, KCL, Durham, Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham, Manchester), although different places may have different preferences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simon Myerson QC)
    Your view in past posts that I have seen on this forum seemed to put more emphasis on the degree classification.

Please note that the above scenario would be aimed at the provisional bar.

ReputationRep:
    Your view in past posts that I have seen on this forum seemed to put more emphasis on the degree classification.

Please note that the above scenario would be aimed at the provisional bar.
    Your original post merely referred to the quality of the university (plus options afterwards.) Clearly getting a good grade is important.

ReputationRep:
    I Hope SM QC will forgive me if I put words in his mouth, but by 'far the most important thing' it would seem he was comparing it to the other options you listed, i.e. "LLB" or "Take a Chance".

In your initial question you didn't ask about degree classification. Had you asked between "degree classification" "LLB" "GDL" or "take a chance", the first would seem the most important.

I have no doubt he will correct me if I am wrong with this!

I have noticed in applying to chambers on circuit that they do want you to have a connection to the area. Whilst Oxbridge would speak for itself, it you wanted to work in the North West, going to Manchester or Liverpool would therefore help you more than going to a London university.

ReputationRep:
    With regards to reputation, does anyone know what various firms think of York Uni? I'd always thought it was considered quite a good uni, and it tends to do reasonably well in the various league tables, but people never seem to mention it when they're talking about the "respected universities" :confused: I know they've only recently starting offering law degrees, but I'm currently studying a non-law degree at York, and planning to do the GDL, so I was wondering whether my university will help/hinder TC applications?

ReputationRep:
    With regards to reputation, does anyone know what various firms think of York Uni? I'd always thought it was considered quite a good uni, and it tends to do reasonably well in the various league tables, but people never seem to mention it when they're talking about the "respected universities" I know they've only recently starting offering law degrees, but I'm currently studying a non-law degree at York, and planning to do the GDL, so I was wondering whether my university will help/hinder TC applications?
    I just graduated from York. I didn't apply for TCs last year in the end, as I was late deciding on law, many firms closed applications early and I felt I'd be in a stronger position for 2012 with my degree result.

Judging by firms attending the York law fair (MC, SC, a few US like Cleary, nationals and regionals), I don't think having a York degree will hold you back. However, at City firm open days there were many more people from Oxbridge than from any other single Top 10/Top 20 uni.

In the end, if your academics are consistently good, you have interesting ECs/work experience, and can sell yourself at application form/interview stage, you have as good a chance as the next person.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.