Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A lad said that to my girlfriend about 7 months ago, I overheard it and it really got to me, because i've never been truely confident with my appearence.

I let it go and had forgotten all about it until tonight, my girlfriend got back from a party and someone had said to her "what do you see in him?".

This was from a lad I thought was sound and got on with.

Now not all girls are focussed on looks, but guys do judge other guys on them, but I can't stop it getting to me.

I'm happy with my gf, she's happy with me, so I guess this is just a rant.

I need to boost my confidence abit, anyone got any suggestions?

keep reminding yourself you're with her ..you have her! ignore them ..they'll just say anything to impress'' your gf as they want her:dontknow: be happy with yourself mate.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you should take it to heart. I mean if she's attractive of course guys are going to use lines like that because they know they don't have chance with her. Just remember..the jokes on them. I mean you're the one she likes and is going out with not them :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachykeen09)
    I don't think you should take it to heart. I mean if she's attractive of course guys are going to use lines like that because they know they don't have chance with her. Just remember..the jokes on them. I mean you're the one she likes and is going out with not them :yep:
    Said everything i was going to tbh. I used to get this a lot with one of my ex's, coolest, prettiest girl i ever did meet. People couldn't understand her dating a geeky looking asian dude. After a while it made me laugh, because i realised how sore they were that they weren't in my place. It's just jealousy.

ReputationRep:
    Not many guys will be able to take that and turn it into a compliment, but the positive side of the comment is that you have an awesome girlfriend that is sought after by others.

And she is yours! So try to feel a little more secure with yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    A lad said that to my girlfriend about 7 months ago, I overheard it and it really got to me, because i've never been truely confident with my appearence.

I let it go and had forgotten all about it until tonight, my girlfriend got back from a party and someone had said to her "what do you see in him?".

This was from a lad I thought was sound and got on with.

Now not all girls are focussed on looks, but guys do judge other guys on them, but I can't stop it getting to me.

I'm happy with my gf, she's happy with me, so I guess this is just a rant.

I need to boost my confidence abit, anyone got any suggestions?
    Allow your confidence to be boosted by the fact that you're with a girl and guys who say 'why are you with him?' tend to be vapid, vacuous white-knighting 'nice guys' who haven't got anything interesting to talk about to girls they meet regarding their own lives so instead become a sponge for a girls relationship problems/advice/speculation. In doing this, they become ultimately and irrevocably 'friend-zoned' and will probably end up, if they are not interesting enough never speaking to your girlfriend again, and if they are slightly interesting end up an emotional sponge-friend for your girlfriend when you aren't about; meaning you'll get to have a fun time with your girlfriend and when shes upset she'll go to one of her 'guy friends' to have the negativity absorbed.

Oh I weep for mankind. You've probably got nothing to worry about, and you have a girlfriend, so be confident.

ReputationRep:
    "Why are you with him?" can have two reasons behind it:

"Why are you with him cos he's butt ugly and you're beautiful?"

or

"Why are you with him, cos he's an utter prick?"

Yooooooou decide.

ReputationRep:
    They're most likely just jealous of you. Who cares what other guys think? Your girlfriend's opinion is the only one that matters.

ReputationRep:
    No one seems to have mentioned this yet... But why did she tell you what some guy at a party said?
    Seems like a really mean thing to do - a guy once said a similar thing to me but I never dreamt of telling my bf about it as I knew it would make him feel like crap. Are you sure your girlfriend isn't trying to make you feel insecure? It's possible she's a bit insecure about your relationship and is scared you'll leave her and therefore is letting you know other guys want her. I've done a similar thing and realised that was probably the subconscious drive behind it.

But yeah, your girlfriend's with you. Ignore everybody else (Easier said than done, I know). And next time your gf tells you something like that, just say "why did you tell me that?"

ReputationRep:
    lol she'll probably just shag someone else and not tell you about it, sometimes who someone is "with" doesn't matter. (Watch 'The Beach' with Leonardo DiCaprio)

ReputationRep:
    your gf loves you, this means she thinks you are worth it. If someone wants your gf, of course they'll say this.Do you care ? you are the one who has her. Just ignore them, or next time you see them, make fun of them cause you have the hot girl and what do they have? Just their jealousy. :yes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.