Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wish I'd looked at this site before I applied.

I wish I had not applied to Durham (rejected me on GCSE marks).

I wish I had not applied to Edinburgh (rejected for the same reason as Durham, and even worse fell in love with the place. To rub salt on the wounds they only told me two days after the deadline).

I wish I had not had mental difficulties when I was 15 which I suspected really buggered up my GCSE's, and that the UCAS form was a little more flexible on it. (It was a disorder, not an illness).

I wish I had not gone to the public school I attended because I suspect it was held against me by some places when applying.

I wish I did not live in London.

I wish more universities interviewed so I could display the background knowledge that I had accumulated through a great deal of reading. Sadly for Durham and Edinburgh it was worth jack. A* in Latin would have been more helpful.

I wish some magic fairy had made it possible for me to submit more documentation about myself in the admissions process (e.g. final report, library back catalogue).

I wish I can move on from my rejections but I adore academia and each one feels like a quantification of my academic worth, and erego my actual worth. I want to but I keep dwelling on it when trying to sleep and at other quiet moments.

On the other hand I am onto the course which is the best for me and should provide an excellent basis for postgraduate work. It was also one I warmed towards over the course of my GAP Year.

ReputationRep:
    I wish i hadnt applied to Hull.... should have looked around before i applied, and applied to Berks instead.
    Hindsight is an amazing thing

ReputationRep:
    Warwick
    Bristol
    SOAS
    Edinburgh
    St.Andrews
    UCL/Durham (back in my time it was 6 applications..both of these rejected me first time round so doesnt really matter :p:)

id apply to these if i had to again...first time round i applied to

oxford (rejected)
    lse (rejected)
    warwick (offer)
    ucl (rejected)
    durham (rejected)
    nottingham (offer)

at the end of the day i got into the best university i could have with my grades so im very happy (and im loving the Uni so all is good) but had i not gotten the grades i would really not have been happy going to Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    this post is meant to be for people to say their regrets?

ReputationRep:
    I regret...

...oh wait.

ReputationRep:
    bumped up this thread when unable to sleep and in a very depressive mood. Actually looking very forward to uni.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I wish I'd looked around more.

I wish I'd set my sights higher.

I wish I'd gone further away :p:

But I know that if I had, I would never have met Tom. So it's all worthwhile in the end.

ReputationRep:
    i have no regrets, i got into cambridge!! sorry

ReputationRep:
    I made my choices now I live with them. Regrets don't get you anywhere.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Rob1000)

I wish some magic fairy had made it possible for me to submit more documentation about myself in the admissions process (e.g. final report, library back catalogue).
    You do know that it's perfect possible to send extra information about yourself directly to the Admissions Tutor/Administrator/whatever of the relevant departments of the unis you applied to, if you have extra info that appear after your UCAS form has been sent off or that couldn't be sent off as part of the UCAS form? I got my Grade 8 Violin after my UCAS had been sent off and I was gonna post photocopies of the certificate and mark sheet off to unis that hadn't already made me an offer :yes:

Guess it's too late for that now but it wouldn't have required a magic fairy to make all that stuff known

My regret: confirming my insurance place on UCAS without seeing it, then seeing it and realising I didn't wanna go there. So nearly ended up going there as well :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather not regret things but.... damn edinburgh rejecting me! They didnt give a reason though so at least i didn't know what to actually regret (i.e. not good enough grades, not good enough ps etc) ;D

ReputationRep:
    exactly not point to really regret..

ReputationRep:
    I regret nothing. Dwelling is poisonous.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.