Turn on thread page Beta

plz plz plz,can sum 1 help me, i need 2 do a introduction on how the length of the wire affects the resistance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gurz)
    plz plz plz,can sum 1 help me, i need 2 do a introduction on how the length of the wire affects the resistance
    i learnt about this but i cant remember i will think about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gurz)

The main prediction I will make is that the results will be directly proportional because my preliminary results showed that volts were proportional to length. This is because when lengths doubles so does volts. I believe this will happen again on a larger scale. The length also maters, the longer the wire the more volts passing through.#

A fixed current of 1.00 amp passed through a wire of 40cm. The volts moved to measure the P.d across different parts of the wire for example 10cm, 20cm, 30cm and 40cm.

The volts were directly proportional to the length of wire. For example the length of wire was 20cm and volts as 1.48. When we did 40cm of wire the results were 2.96. Showing that 1.48 doubled as did the length of wire.

Let me know if any of this helps!! )

ReputationRep:
    resistivity = Resistance x Cross-sectional area / length

A bit of algebraic manipulation and

Resistance = resistivity x length /cross-sectional area

R = rho(<--greek letter) x L / A

From this you can see that the bigger the length the bigger the resistance, this is due to their being less pathways for the current to flow through the wire in a straight line.

hope this helps, other people feel free to criticise, this is AS physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munkeh)
    resistivity = Resistance x Cross-sectional area / length

A bit of algebraic manipulation and

Resistance = resistivity x length /cross-sectional area

R = rho(<--greek letter) x L / A

From this you can see that the bigger the length the bigger the resistance, this is due to their being less pathways for the current to flow through the wire in a straight line.

hope this helps, other people feel free to criticise, this is AS physics
    Yup, and rho is this: ρ (not a p mind, found in character map)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 30, 2003
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.