Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Im looking into getting my first car (passed my test 2yrs ago) and was wondering how much people spent on their first car? And how much was the insurance?

Thanks,
    GQ.

ReputationRep:
    Um Five Thousand including insurance. . .

ReputationRep:
    3k + insurance which was 900

ReputationRep:
    £750 (bargain really), £800 insurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahRos)
    3k + insurance which was 900
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    £750 (bargain really), £800 insurance
    its shocking to see these insurance prices
    tell me your both over 25 years old

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    They are female...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    I was 17 and it was 940/950 ish but I did have a 1ltr cos I didn't need or want power and I'm female so that brings it down more. Two years later, I've had a crash and it's likely to go right up when I'm not too scared to try again so I'll even ut to the normal amount.
    The other car is a lot cheaper though so that might affect that insurance price.

ReputationRep:
    £100, old Toyota Carina but very reliable. The guy I got it from was going to take it to the scrap yard but I saved it.

ReputationRep:
    £2000 for car, £750 for insurance. I was 17

ReputationRep:
    My car was £1100. I've yet to buy the insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Mine was brand new

ReputationRep:
    Car (a lovely ford KA) was £1100, the insurance was £740 when i was 17, a few months after I passed (check insurance with Tescos, they're really good!)

ReputationRep:
    Would I be able to get a reliable car for under £1000? Also would my age have any affect on my insurance. I'm 20.

ReputationRep:
    I paid 1200 for a 2001 peugeot 206 glx 1.4 which is very reliable (so far) I am 17 and TPF&T insurance was 750.

ReputationRep:
    Im intersted but how does someone who is 17 afford a car? have you been saving (and how)or has your parents paid for it ?

ReputationRep:
    Mine is going to cost me about £2k, insurance £250 fully comp just me.
    Been driving nearly 3 years, 3 penalty points for a defective tyre, training right now for my IAM test.
    Renault Clio 1.5 diesel, 5 door, 51 reg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    Been driving nearly 3 years, 3 penalty points for a defective tyre
    Whaaaaat? You can get points for having bad tyres? :eek3: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    If there's something wrong with the tread e.g. camber showing, or the tread depth is too thin, then they are defective and dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    Uh, yes. If your tyres have a tread of below 1.6mm in any part of the tyre in the central 3/4, you can be given 3 points on your licence and a fine of £60. PER TYRE. So if you passed your test a year ago and you're caught with two bald tyres, say bye-bye to your licence.

ReputationRep:
    I knew the legal depth was 1.6mm but I never knew you could get points for it, I just thought it was a fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.