Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    About 6k, 2005 Toyota Yaris, about 30,000 on the clock if I remember rightly, Insurance was about £1000 with me as a named driver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buttercup_26)
    Car (a lovely ford KA) was £1100, the insurance was £740 when i was 17, a few months after I passed (check insurance with Tescos, they're really good!)
    3.2k for a VW polo 2003 1.2 and with Tesco aswell (they are truly good clubcard points and a no claims bonus at 17!) My insurance was 700 as a 17 year old boy

ReputationRep:
    iv recently paid £1100 for an 01 fiat punto... with about £850 insurance (provisional) with me as the named driver.

ReputationRep:
    Car budget is £3000 ish.

Insurance will be a horrific £2000 or thereabouts.

ReputationRep:
    Car was 850 with 850 insurance

ReputationRep:
    £1100 for 1.1 litre Corsa 1999 *thumbs up*
    Insurance was £1080, I was 17, but I live in NI and our insurance is dearer than England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seleneybob)
    Im intersted but how does someone who is 17 afford a car? have you been saving (and how)or has your parents paid for it ?
    Life savings, and a job. Some parents may chip in. Personally, i'm life savings and a little bit of help from Student Finance come September :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seleneybob)
    Im intersted but how does someone who is 17 afford a car? have you been saving (and how)or has your parents paid for it ?
    Grandad bought it and parents paid for insurance
    53 plate ford Ka (Bought in 2007) 3k
    insurance 1.1k when i was learning didnt keep the car that long after test so dont no whar it would have gone down to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samalama)
    Have you ever had experience with the insurance, say, an accident? Our fiesta was smacked into onto a dual carriageway and the guy who drove into us said it was our fault (which is clearly a lie because we would've had to of been driving sideways lol) and Quinn Direct took ages to get our compensation... I'd hate to think what they'd be like on an accident where the fault wasn't so obvious...
    That's why it is very very important to get the details like the phone numbers of as many people as you can who witnessed it, that way the insurance can find out what happened from them.

With no witnesses, no proof and both parties claiming the other responsible then its liked to be a 50/50 split.

ReputationRep:
    £700 car, insurance £500 (named driver)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    That's why it is very very important to get the details like the phone numbers of as many people as you can who witnessed it, that way the insurance can find out what happened from them.

With no witnesses, no proof and both parties claiming the other responsible then its liked to be a 50/50 split.
    We had all that lol, he just out right denied it because he didn't want to lose his no claims. Basically he was an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samalama)
    We had all that lol, he just out right denied it because he didn't want to lose his no claims. Basically he was an idiot.
    What happened in the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    What happened in the end?
    Well as the evidence made it so obvious that he was at fault it was agreed by both Insurance companies. We got £995 (which is what the car was worth before the accident) and kept the car.

This took over a month though.

The guy also then tried to lie that his wife was in the car and that she was a wittness. In truth, there were two people involve, my mum, and him; there were no passengers. Some people make you think eh lol.

ReputationRep:
    Car was £895 (1998 Ford Ka, runs beautifully, starts every time and in pretty good condition!), insurance £712 with admiral (17 year old female with provisional license at the time, went up by £63 when I passed)

ReputationRep:
    Car brought for £500, spent quite a bit more than that totally restoring it with my dad, first insurance policy from the day I turned 17, fully comp was £700, next year was £420 and this year £300.

ReputationRep:
    3900 pound. No idea how much the insurance was, I'm on my families business insurance. (The only reason I paid that much was because the car was just too good to miss - 07 reg Citeron C3 with only 14k miles on it, nothing the matter with it). My original limit was 2.5k.

ReputationRep:
    £5989, 08 plate fiesta mk6 which only had 4.5k miles on the clock. I'm 20, at first i was sharing my mums car until a few weeks ago.

Figured it would be cheaper as a named driver so £400 only

ReputationRep:
    So it is possible then to get a perfectly decent car for about £500-£800? I need to get a cheap car by christmas time. Better start saving!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbee)
    Car budget is £3000 ish.

Insurance will be a horrific £2000 or thereabouts.
    If you buy like a 1.2 I'm sure it'll be cheaper than £2000. A girl I know got insurance on a 1.6 Astra at 17 for under £2000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GQ.)
    So it is possible then to get a perfectly decent car for about £500-£800? I need to get a cheap car by christmas time. Better start saving!
    Not a perfectly decent one, no. Mine was an old car and was going to be sold for £995. My uncle was selling it and he's very honest, but he let us have it for the money he spent on it so he didn't make a profit or a loss. lol.

You should be looking at 1992 - 1998 Fiestas if you want to get an alright car for that money.

You should stretch a little bit more though

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.