Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    2001 Renault Clio 1.2L (my profile pic ) - £1600 + £750 for fully comp insurance as a named driver :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    I would recommend a banger on the basis that most people have 'little bumps' in their first year of driving, and while they don't matter much on a Peugeot 106, you'd be furious if they were on, say, a brand new Corsa. I haven't had any bumps, but if I had, that would by justification for having a 'wee banger'.
    And I'd recommend a newer car because if you have 'big bump' in a 'wee banger' then you're going to wish you hadn't gone for the cheap crap car. Put a price on your life and then think about that when buying a car.

(Original post by GQ.)
    So it is possible then to get a perfectly decent car for about £500-£800? I need to get a cheap car by christmas time. Better start saving!
    Depends on opinion of what you call 'decent', experience and money. I'd say there's not a chance in hell of getting a good car for that amount because I can't get in old cars after I had a crash whereas if you want speed and don't care about the safety then you probably can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahRos)
    And I'd recommend a newer car because if you have 'big bump' in a 'wee banger' then you're going to wish you hadn't gone for the cheap crap car. Put a price on your life and then think about that when buying a car.

Depends on opinion of what you call 'decent', experience and money. I'd say there's not a chance in hell of getting a good car for that amount because I can't get in old cars after I had a crash whereas if you want speed and don't care about the safety then you probably can.

I just want a car thats reliable and can get me from A to B. I was looking on autotrader and there were some peugeot 106's and citreon saxo's for about £400-£700. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    £1300 +£700 insurance which is ok i guess. Got a 1.4 Fiat 3 days ago and the money i earned came from my signature :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GQ.)
    I just want a car thats reliable and can get me from A to B. I was looking on autotrader and there were some peugeot 106's and citreon saxo's for about £400-£700. What do you think?
    The two you've mentioned are the ones the policeman dealing with my crash told me were the worst. I know you're going for reliability but just please not one of those! lol I can't really say if the price is worth it because I've only really had dealings with newer cars. The lower end of that i.e. 400, seems more reasonable than the higher end but then it depends on engine size and mod's. If you want a big engine then you'll have to fork out whereas I don't want big engine so I will always pay slightly less.

ReputationRep:
    First car cost me just under £2000 just over 3 years ago and insurance was £800 as a named driver.

I now pay £725 in my own name on an Ibiza Cupra Turbo which is a group 15 car and is 245bhp after the work ive done.
    Insurance will depend a lot on your location, also put your mum or dad (whoever has most experience) on the policy as it will reduce it loads!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahRos)
    The two you've mentioned are the ones the policeman dealing with my crash told me were the worst. I know you're going for reliability but just please not one of those! lol I can't really say if the price is worth it because I've only really had dealings with newer cars. The lower end of that i.e. 400, seems more reasonable than the higher end but then it depends on engine size and mod's. If you want a big engine then you'll have to fork out whereas I don't want big engine so I will always pay slightly less.

I dont want a big engine as am not fussed about racing and things. What about an old ford fiesta?

I really can't afford anymore than £700 on a car though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GQ.)
    I dont want a big engine as am not fussed about racing and things. What about an old ford fiesta?

I really can't afford anymore than £700 on a car though.
    Well like I said, I don't really know what's good or bad. I know a friend who got an old fiesta for 500 but if I were you I'd shop around before you rush into something and regret it. Find out the history of the car too, it might have been a loads of knocks and it basically loads of old parts all thrown together so just make sure you're getting the best for your money.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest you can get a nice car between £500-1000 depending on how well you shop around. It's only a first car and you don't need to go out and buy something expensive because this car will be the one that takes the bumps, knocks and scratches. In addition, if it's cheap then you can insure Third party, fire and theft because, should you have an accident that is your fault, your car will not cost much to replace and you will have the savings on insurance (as opposed to fully comp)

ReputationRep:
    4500 for car, insurance was 800 in first year, dropped to 400 in second, I was 21 when I got the car.

ReputationRep:
    It's weird how insurance works. I was quoted £3500 (third party fire & theft) for a P reg 1.4 Fiesta Ghia when I passed my test in May 2008. Obviously that was way too expensive so I went on my mums policy as a named driver.

However, a few days ago after having a few months over a years experience, I got quoted on a 2004 Ford Galaxy 2.3 for £2800, fully comp :|.

This is without any no claims bonus.

My new quote for the fiesta is £1600 Third Party Fire & Theft. Random.

Anyway back to answering the question lol.

At least £1000 is probably a good bet, for a car that's a good runner and has done most of it's devaluing. You won't regret paying that little bit extra.

ReputationRep:
    car cost just over £16,000 and my insurance is just under £4,000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elynnor1811)
    car cost just over £16,000 and my insurance is just under £4,000
    Wow... lol. Did you get a loan out to pay for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samalama)
    Wow... lol. Did you get a loan out to pay for it?
    no my parents pay for it. my insurance will go down once i do pass plus though, thank god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elynnor1811)
    no my parents pay for it. my insurance will go down once i do pass plus though, thank god.
    Lol I was gonna say... :eek:

What car have you got out of pure interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    Mine is £750 (goes up to £850 when I pass my test) - I am male, 17 and drive a 1.4L peugeot 206.
    Yours goes UP when you pass your test?
    Mine was 800 to start, then went down to 700 and i think it's about 450 this year with 2 years no claims
    on a 1.2 corsa 2005/6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B6ENH)
    Mine was 800 to start, then went down to 700 and i think it's about 450 this year with 2 years no claims
    on a 1.2 corsa 2005/6
    Mine went up when I passed as well. Only by about £100 though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B6ENH)
    on a 1.2 corsa 2005/6
    Yes most do since you wont have an adult with you so they think the 17 year olds will go out fast and crash

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.