Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

January 2010 exams? Should I worry now? [adivce needed from current sixth-formers] watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm a current year 11 student awaiting the 'infamous' transition from G.C.S.E to A-level in September.

I've chosen to study the following subjects at AS-level:
    - Biology
    - Chemistry
    - Mathematics
    - English Literature, or Psychology.

Which, of the subjects I've chosen, am I likely to have to prepare for
    an examination in January 2010?

I truly believe mental preperation, maybe constructing a simple timetable, would be the way forward at this point so that the stress does not get too much for me. (well after I find out which sixth-form I'm going to) - sorry for the ambiguity that this temperament may present; my grades truly do reflect the sixth-form, so I can't give you any examination boards. I'm merely looking for advice based on the examinations you've had at the beginning of the year in January. The reason I worry is because I got really stressed out when I was undergoing the multitude of exams presented by G.C.S.Es, so I'm trying to, in a sense, abate that stress now by going into the 'AS-Level' with a clear mind and determination to no let the education system get the better of me this time.:yes:

Thanks in advance. Gloria

ReputationRep:
    You don't even know whether you're studying english lit/psychology, enjoy your holidays.
    Next holidays you have will be stressful as you're wating for results, and hoping to make the grades so you can apply to a good uni. And some people prepare for A2's in the hols, so enjoy these holidays as much as you can.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry although I went into a blind panic at around about November. Just have a look at it all, read a couple of the first chapters and go on from there -_- (that was sarcasm )

Don't let it ruin your holiday. Go out enjoy yourself and relax...

ReputationRep:
    WHAT?! No!

NO NO NO!!

You probably won't even have many module exams, especially if you're doing sciences and English lit - I didn't have any January AS modules in them, even though there were 3 modules per subject for me.

Enjoy your summer, don't even THINK about what you're going to be studying! You haven't even met your teachers or been introduced to the course yet!

ReputationRep:
    urm chill out! this is the only time you will until a-levels begin! you dont need any extra-prep you dont need to get stressed about it cos everyone else is starting a-fresh aswell. seriously you'll get through it finnnnnnne

ReputationRep:
    I'd wait until you at least figure out which sixth form you are going to, know what courses you are doing, and can talk to your subject tutors and find out whether or not you will have any January exams. I know at my sixth form, they purposely do not put any Y12s in for January modules, since the jump is large and therefore people generally perform better after having a year to learn The only ones who do, are the Further Maths students, since it's the only way of fitting everything in.

Enjoy your summer though (: It's a much better plan, than worrying about January modules for the entire summer!

ReputationRep:
    Naah just enjoy your last few weeks of freedom before you begin your AS levels.

ReputationRep:
    You will probably have modular exams, but you don't need to do preperation now, you're on your summer holidays.

Trust me, Ive been there, and got some good grades out of it (good enough to get into one of the best departments of chemistry in the country), you don't need to start on the books until the start of november at the earliest.

Just enjoy your hols, it's the only break where you'll have nothing to worry about until you've finished A-levels. Plus (Im not putting you down here), you can't do anything until you've got your GCSE results, as you may not be able to proceed with the courses you've chosen.

ReputationRep:
    I did find that the January modules crept up a bit quickly, but as long as you're aware of them now there's nothing to worry about. Generally speaking, the workload for these modules is only slightly harder than GCSE, so as long as you get a couple of weeks revision beforehand you'll be fine. Now enjoy your summer!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a current sixth former, and I suggest you say bah humbugs to work, go eat some nice cake and enjoy the cold British summer <3

Seriously, the transition isn't as bad as people make it out to be D:

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy your holidays.

You may have a maths module, maybe C1. :dontknow:

Just make sure your notes are concise and revise as you go along, if you don't want to panic in January. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter's sidekick)
    Hi all, I'm a current year 11 student awaiting the 'infamous' transition from G.C.S.E to A-level in September.

I've chosen to study the following subjects at AS-level:
    - Biology
    - Chemistry
    - Mathematics
    - English Literature, or Psychology.

Which, of the subjects I've chosen, am I likely to have to prepare for
    an examination in January 2010?

I truly believe mental preperation, maybe constructing a simple timetable, would be the way forward at this point so that the stress does not get too much for me. (well after I find out which sixth-form I'm going to) - sorry for the ambiguity that this temperament may present; my grades truly do reflect the sixth-form, so I can't give you any examination boards. I'm merely looking for advice based on the examinations you've had at the beginning of the year in January. The reason I worry is because I got really stressed out when I was undergoing the multitude of exams presented by G.C.S.Es, so I'm trying to, in a sense, abate that stress now by going into the 'AS-Level' with a clear mind and determination to no let the education system get the better of me this time.:yes:

Thanks in advance. Gloria
    I share your problem. *highfive*

ReputationRep:
    HAHAHA *High fives back*

What subjects are you going to be studying at A-level?

(Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    I share your problem. *highfive*

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that! You've really put my mind at ease. HAHAHA. I think I'll enjoy the summer holiday while it lasts, then start to configure the work load upon actually starting sixth-form! :woo:

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR KIND WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT !!

Where would I be without TSR? HAHAHA. Probably someone sitting in a dark corner somewhere looking at the books of AS-level sciences/maths and shuddering at the mere prospect of remembering it all :p: . HAHAHA. You lot rawk!

(Original post by beffnee)
    I'd wait until you at least figure out which sixth form you are going to, know what courses you are doing, and can talk to your subject tutors and find out whether or not you will have any January exams. I know at my sixth form, they purposely do not put any Y12s in for January modules, since the jump is large and therefore people generally perform better after having a year to learn The only ones who do, are the Further Maths students, since it's the only way of fitting everything in.

Enjoy your summer though (: It's a much better plan, than worrying about January modules for the entire summer!

ReputationRep:
    HAHAHA *High fives back*

What subjects are you going to be studying at A-level?

French, History, English Literature and hopefully Government & politics, although I might be doing Biology. But my grades will determine which sixth form I go to, so I'm really nervous about results! *eek*

ReputationRep:
    you are joking right?

Have a holiday....

ReputationRep:
    What grades do you need to get in order to get into your chosen sixth-form/s?

French, History, English Literature and hopefully Government & politics, although I might be doing Biology. But my grades will determine which sixth form I go to, so I'm really nervous about results! *eek*

ReputationRep:
    What grades do you need to get in order to get into your chosen sixth-form/s?
    An A/A* in the subjects I want to do at A-level, as well as two other A/A*s and at least a B in an MFL and Maths.
    So I suppose that's about 5 or 6 A/A*s and the rest can be Bs. It's not too hard, but I'm still worried. Very worried!

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    An A/A* in the subjects I want to do at A-level, as well as two other A/A*s and at least a B in an MFL and Maths.
    So I suppose that's about 5 or 6 A/A*s and the rest can be Bs. It's not too hard, but I'm still worried. Very worried!

What about you?
    Near enough the same as you. I have to get A/A* in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, English Literature and English Language. So you're going for a grammar school, too? The pressure is immense! I'm scared!

ReputationRep:
    Near enough the same as you. I have to get A/A* in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, English Literature and English Language. So you're going for a grammar school, too? The pressure is immense! I'm scared!
    That's quite a hefty ask to be honest, my college asked for

Chem and Biol: At least a C in double science (I got an AA)
    French: At least a B in French
    Comp: At least a C in Maths and a C in ICT

And as I say, I didn't do too badly, and I got what I wanted out of it all.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.