Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

January 2010 exams? Should I worry now? [adivce needed from current sixth-formers] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter's sidekick)
    Near enough the same as you. I have to get A/A* in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, English Literature and English Language. So you're going for a grammar school, too? The pressure is immense! I'm scared!
    Me too!
    But I'm sure we'll both be fine :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    An A/A* in the subjects I want to do at A-level, as well as two other A/A*s and at least a B in an MFL and Maths.
    So I suppose that's about 5 or 6 A/A*s and the rest can be Bs. It's not too hard, but I'm still worried. Very worried!

What about you?
    Wow, my 6th form only asks for B's in the subjects we are taking for a level, and it's a grammar school.

Not a great one to be honest, but a good solid school.

I need 45 points to get back in (just under a B)
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Hi all, I'm a current year 11 student awaiting the 'infamous' transition from G.C.S.E to A-level in September.

I've chosen to study the following subjects at AS-level:
    - Biology
    - Chemistry
    - Mathematics
    - English Literature, or Psychology.

Which, of the subjects I've chosen, am I likely to have to prepare for
    an examination in January 2010?

I truly believe mental preperation, maybe constructing a simple timetable, would be the way forward at this point so that the stress does not get too much for me. (well after I find out which sixth-form I'm going to) - sorry for the ambiguity that this temperament may present; my grades truly do reflect the sixth-form, so I can't give you any examination boards. I'm merely looking for advice based on the examinations you've had at the beginning of the year in January. The reason I worry is because I got really stressed out when I was undergoing the multitude of exams presented by G.C.S.Es, so I'm trying to, in a sense, abate that stress now by going into the 'AS-Level' with a clear mind and determination to no let the education system get the better of me this time.:yes:

Thanks in advance. Gloria
    dude, Chilax!!!!!!! Enjoy your summmer, worry about this in september!!!!

If you do any exams its almost 99% likely to be one per subject if that.

and then it may still be your desicion! I'd advise doing them in jan, but be prepared to spend the majority of the xmas holls revising!

And if you're really worried, the best thing to do is to work hard throughout the first term, make sure you do all your homework (i'm ***** at doing homework :redface:) and revise topics as you finish them/ as you go along.

but SERIOUSLY

ENJOY YOUR SUMMER AND RELAX!!!!!!! you'll work better if you give yourself a chance to relax. ok?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roosel4)
    Wow, my 6th form only asks for B's in the subjects we are taking for a level, and it's a grammar school.

Not a great one to be honest, but a good solid school.

I need 45 points to get back in (just under a B)
    At least you don't have to worry as much. I do think A/A* is a bit excessive; it just adds unnecessary pressure. :mad:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Probably all of them.

ReputationRep:
    Your being silly! Take it easy for the summer. I am expecting good a-levels. The jump from GCSE to A-Level is hyped up as long as you do put in even a little effort you will be fine.

Don't overthink! You have plenty of time in the future.

ReputationRep:
    enjoy your summer.

ReputationRep:
    do English Lit and you'll be doing the same subjects as me

I say chillax a bit. Start planning late october, revising november, hard core revision over christmas & then you'll be sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously girlfriend, don't worry! You are not alnoe, trust meh, i was like that last year! I did german, chemistry, philosophy and bio. I was ******** myself, thinking should I start beforehand???? I didn't. Trust meh! FOr the first month, you just go over gcse's. i had a friend who started beforehand, trust me, she screwed up really badly. she went in, saying woot i'm gonna be queen and came out egged and floured. not literally, but she struggles as she learnt the wrong stuff and got so confused. avoid this. i cannot emphasise it enough, spend the holidays happy. because trust me, sounds like you wanna do law or med or sumfink. you are not going to get a holiday for a few years. now that i started a2, i dropped philosophy. the questions about evil and all that crap, seriously, i don't care.

i get my results on 20th Aug. and i'm guessing i did bad, so RETAKES, here i come!

so put your feet out. walk around the house with shoes on. sleep in until 2 or 3 inthe afternoon. because it's better to do it now, than ever!

what grades you predicted? trust meh, my advice is that if you can choose between eng lit and psych., go for english lit. the amount of little things in psychology have SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much crap you need to know, and half of the things are pointless. bio's harder than chem. it's like gcse is a lie. i mean, there's a nucleus within a nucleus, and photosynthesis is WAAAAAY more complicated than you think. i love german! i think it sounds beautiful!

so smile, keep your books closed. and sleep. x:yes:

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: No.

ReputationRep:
    OP- you definitley don't need to worry now. I did one exam in January- Psychology- and although I told myself I would start looking at it in October, in reality I didn't start revising til the Christmas hols. I did about 2/3 hours a day for about 1 1/2 weeks and got an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janet9)
    Seriously girlfriend, don't worry! You are not alnoe, trust meh, i was like that last year! I did german, chemistry, philosophy and bio. I was ******** myself, thinking should I start beforehand???? I didn't. Trust meh! FOr the first month, you just go over gcse's. i had a friend who started beforehand, trust me, she screwed up really badly. she went in, saying woot i'm gonna be queen and came out egged and floured. not literally, but she struggles as she learnt the wrong stuff and got so confused. avoid this. i cannot emphasise it enough, spend the holidays happy. because trust me, sounds like you wanna do law or med or sumfink. you are not going to get a holiday for a few years. now that i started a2, i dropped philosophy. the questions about evil and all that crap, seriously, i don't care.

i get my results on 20th Aug. and i'm guessing i did bad, so RETAKES, here i come!

so put your feet out. walk around the house with shoes on. sleep in until 2 or 3 inthe afternoon. because it's better to do it now, than ever!

what grades you predicted? trust meh, my advice is that if you can choose between eng lit and psych., go for english lit. the amount of little things in psychology have SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much crap you need to know, and half of the things are pointless. bio's harder than chem. it's like gcse is a lie. i mean, there's a nucleus within a nucleus, and photosynthesis is WAAAAAY more complicated than you think. i love german! i think it sounds beautiful!

so smile, keep your books closed. and sleep. x:yes:
    hahaha. THanks for that....really detailed account of what I should expect =]...it was very...enlightening

In answer to your question, my predicted grades are mostly A's with the exception of 1 or 2 B's. I'm hoping to exceeds these prections though, as I feel I've worked extremely hard, no thanks to my comprehensive school whom continue to fail to see the potential in its high achievers. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm a current year 11 student awaiting the 'infamous' transition from G.C.S.E to A-level in September.

I've chosen to study the following subjects at AS-level:
    - Biology
    - Chemistry
    - Mathematics
    - English Literature, or Psychology.

Which, of the subjects I've chosen, am I likely to have to prepare for
    an examination in January 2010?

I truly believe mental preperation, maybe constructing a simple timetable, would be the way forward at this point so that the stress does not get too much for me. (well after I find out which sixth-form I'm going to) - sorry for the ambiguity that this temperament may present; my grades truly do reflect the sixth-form, so I can't give you any examination boards. I'm merely looking for advice based on the examinations you've had at the beginning of the year in January. The reason I worry is because I got really stressed out when I was undergoing the multitude of exams presented by G.C.S.Es, so I'm trying to, in a sense, abate that stress now by going into the 'AS-Level' with a clear mind and determination to no let the education system get the better of me this time.:yes:

Thanks in advance. Gloria
    In the same position as you , I've got the same first three options as you and have been told there are january exams for all three So you could very well have too.

For chem and bio, I got the 'headstart to bio (/chem) CGP' books. The teachers at the college recomended them, so maybe you could try them too? It will be especially useful if like me you didn't do triple science, as there are some topics you won't know that they cover.

For maths we go given a bridging the gap type booklet, but tbh most of it was what we did in our last GCSE exam - surds, factorising and stuff. If you're really worried maybe get the spec. and go over some stuff?

Hope that helps Good luck with your results, 25 days :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't start now tbh at all! Enjoy the summer doing nothing while you can!

In your first year you are unlikely to have many january exams anyway and if you did any preparation for them now you would either forget about when they come around or it would be incorrect because you won't have any idea on what you're studying etc.

ReputationRep:
    Read over all your work from class after you've done it to make sure you understand it. And this will help you remember it. Then start revising in mid-November or maybe a bit earlier.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.