Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Each to their own I say. Some people are virgins and really don't want to be, some people are virgins because they choose to be.

I've seen youre posts on these threads lol. I wonder why there are so many virgin themed threads lately, must be mating season or something...

Anyway, I'm 18 and also a virgin (don't judge me for staying anon) and I'm not happy. I'm not one of these that wants to "get it over with and out of the way". It's just that I actually want to do it, but haven't met the right person. I feel ready and willing, but don't just wanna shag any old sod for the sake of it lol. I'm sure many are the same, but there are some who lose it because they think that they ought to. Sad really, but understandable

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind if people decide to lose their virginity for the experience. I also don't mind if people decide to give virginity a significance. I think it is something that means something to different people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    Another poor analogy: sex isn't illegal. :rolleyes
    Fair point but then you get the occasional minor complaining he/she is a virgin and underage sex is illegal.
    I'm a virgin and I've not slated non-virgins or virgins. Unless by "slating virgins" you mean, "not agreeing that virgins are better people than non-virgins". I have no problem with virgins, I am one. I have a problem with virgins who think they're better than non-virgins :dontknow:
    It's not about being better, it's about preserving your chastity for a time until when your mature enough to make decisions. Losing your virginity is a decision people take, and in the case of virgins, you have people who are because they havent had a choice and others who have kept self-control.

I see many threads and people here saying that they were used, cheated on or regretted losing their virginity so early. Im actually not on anyones side here, just pointing things out.

And as for the experience of having sex, what's the rush?

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree wtih saying 'wait until its with someone you love'. Why do people say that. It's not like it matters. If you have sex with a friend whats gonna happen? It's not going to give you an STD. Sex is Sex have it with who you want when you want.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by magiichands)
    I decided not to post this anonymous, this is really a rant thread and I think I need to voice my opinions, ok so here it goes:
    Recently there are many threads saying:
    Ow my I am virgin I want to get laid
    or something along those lines
    now me a virgin myself(and I have many oportunities of getting laid but I chose not to) look at these threads and think : What is going on? Is the word Virgin the new curse word or something.
    As one of the last threads said: VIRGIN is something to be proud of,
    and may I just ask you what do you gain when you are no longer a virgin?
    Nothing, you get no massive card saying WELL DONE YOU LOST YOUR VIRGINITY or like some medal, but the way people have acting on this thread it is just so appaling.

Now!!!!!! for the people who are not virgins but are with a boyfriend or girlfriend they LOVE! then thats fine, I am totally for that.When you find the right person, and you know it is your time then Go ahead I think that is alright!

But what annoys me is these people who are 16 and want to loose their virginity so fast , like it is swine flu or something, really it shows you have no common sense and you want to be part of the crowd !

When you meet a person in the night club and you loose it to them, they wont care because you dont know them, it is not special and you always have that everlasting memory of that not so happy time.

So for ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE DESPERATE to loose their virginity by they go to uni or they turn 16 !
    I think you need rethink what you want.

sorry this is kinda a rant thread, but it had to be said
    Not everyone wants imagines it to be special or worthy of a medal. Some just want to have sex as soon as possible and don't need it to be special in order for it to be a 'happy' time. Some of us feel much better being nonvirgins than virgins and would never go back to being a virgin.

I also don't see how virginity is something to be proud of. I'd actually laugh at any self-righteous **** that thought he was better than us because he was less experienced in important life things than us. Being a virgin doesn't make you cooler, a nicer person, a better academic, more attractive to the opposite sex (perhaps not if you're a female, but if you're a male then you'll most certainly see a lot more opportunities open up if you're a non virgin).

Some people will make fun of you for being a virgin although they shouldn't as that's just childish but I don't see what's cool about a backlash against non virgins either.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with most of the points you made, but I do think you gain from having sex. Could be negative or positive, but I think its an essential lesson to learn, and a glimpse of what true intimacy is like/could be like. I know that personally, after having sex with my boyfriend, I became a lot more confident in all areas of my life and just generally more open with my sexuality. Its not just sex, even if you regret it after you've learnt more about yourself.

I lost mine 3 years ago to a boy I'm getting engaged to. To me it's been the perfect way to do it. I bled loads and it hurt but he knew how to handle it because he knew me, he knew what would make things less awkward/make me feel better. He also gave a **** that it was painful and let me take my time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    But unless they're having sex with someone considerably older than them, it's not a crime that anyone will be punished for, even a little bit.
    As long as the drugs are class C drugs and your friend's are taking them, it's not a crime that you should be punished for to do drugs.. :rolleyes:
    Why are they any different? Other than the person who hasn't had the opportunity would be miffed about it. I don't see why "keeping self control" makes someone more virtuous than someone who hasn't had the chance to. Either you place your value on virginity itself, in which case they're both as admirable as each other, or you set it on the person's happiness, in which case most non-virgins are just as admirable as those who are happy waiting.
    We're comparing people that lose the self control against people who keep the self control, I think that answers your question. As I'm saying I'm not against or in favour of neither, Im just stating facts.

At 18, the age of most people on here, they've been waiting quite a while, to be honest. If they want to have sex, why should they delay it longer than they want to, just to make some moral guardian happy? "What's the rush?" is just a reason people use when they can't think of any other logical reason for someone not to do something.
    The purpose of life isnt sex! One of the 7 deadly sins - lust,
    They shouldnt delay it but should they be having sex with some random person just to lose the 'virgin' tag is my concern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    True enough, but at the end of the day, some people really want to lose theirs, as if it's something amazing regardless of context. Go you for being content being a virgin, it's a tough decision to make when everyone else is saying how they don't want to be one, but at the end of the day, people will always want to become nonvirgins, mostly ASAP :p:
    I don't think it's anything to do with not being a virgin, but to experience something which is supposedly amazing. Sex is a good thing, after all :yep: If I were a virgin any older than university age, say, I'd feel I were missing out on an important part of life - intimacy and closeness (and frankly pleasure) with someone else.

That could just be me.

f(and I have many oportunities of getting laid but I chose not to)
    I this is a big factor. Why are you proud not to have experienced this?

I've been made to feel like crap (and I still do) about still being a virgin.

ReputationRep:
    Virginity isn't anything to be proud or ashamed of. It's like been proud or ashamed of still having milk teeth. I really don't understand why people put their virginity on a pedestal like it's some amazing feat of endurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hathlan)
    Why the devil is being a virgin something to be proud of? Damn, that's such ****. It is neither something to be proud of or ashamed of. It's not a virtue, neither is it a negative quality. It just means you haven't had sex. It doesn't make you a better or worse person.
    I'll second this motion.

ReputationRep:
    OP, go have sex and you'll see what the fuss is about

ReputationRep:
    Just for the record since no one knows me here, Im a non-virgin, I lost my virginity to a prostitute in soho and if it makes you virgins feel better ... it was nothing special.

ReputationRep:
    Karunesh you're giving some really stupid analogies... Let me go through them:
    (Original post by Karunesh)
    Don't you want to experience bungee jumping while your at it? you get to lose your fear of heights while your at it..
    I'd LOVE to go bungee jumping! :yes:
    Another analogy if you please .. getting high is pleasureful, would you take drugs?

Another, If your a good person, you'll go to heaven when your dead, why wait? why not now?

Anorexia is an eating disorder .. and food is a necessity, sex is not.
    Yes, I would. You seem to have a bit of a generalisation here though, not all drugs are the same. Nicotine is a drug, paracetamol is a drug. They're a tad different from stuff such as Cocaine, and heroine.
    As long as the drugs are class C drugs and your friend's are taking them, it's not a crime that you should be punished for to do drugs.. :rolleyes:

We're comparing people that lose the self control against people who keep the self control, I think that answers your question. As I'm saying I'm not against or in favour of neither, Im just stating facts.

The purpose of life isnt sex! One of the 7 deadly sins - lust,
    They shouldnt delay it but should they be having sex with some random person just to lose the 'virgin' tag is my concern.
    Oh come on. You don't judge how dangerous substances are by the class they're in? Cannabis has loads of proven, extremely useful healing properties, and has been proved to be safer than both tobacco and alcohol. LSD is basically harmless, and that's class A. Pure ecstacy, that hasn't been cut with anything, is around the same level of safety as LSD. Ketamine, on the other hand, is only class C and is much more dangerous than all the class C's/B's, and nearly as dangerous as cocaine/heroine.

And please don't bring the seven deadly sins into it, you're contradicting yourself, bringing religion into it, and it makes you look like a fanatic.

ReputationRep:
    I decided not to post this anonymous, this is really a rant thread and I think I need to voice my opinions, ok so here it goes:
    now me a virgin myself(and I have many oportunities of getting laid but I chose not to) look at these threads and think : What is going on? Is the word Virgin the new curse word or something.
    Nothing, you get no massive card saying WELL DONE YOU LOST YOUR VIRGINITY or like some medal, but the way people have acting on this thread it is just so appaling.

Now!!!!!! for the people who are not virgins but are with a boyfriend or girlfriend they LOVE! then thats fine, I am totally for that.When you find the right person, and you know it is your time then Go ahead I think that is alright!

But what annoys me is these people who are 16 and want to loose their virginity so fast , like it is swine flu or something, really it shows you have no common sense and you want to be part of the crowd !

When you meet a person in the night club and you loose it to them, they wont care because you dont know them, it is not special and you always have that everlasting memory of that not so happy time.

So for ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE DESPERATE to loose their virginity by they go to uni or they turn 16 !

Some people want to experience sex and don't see it as something special tat needs to be saved. It's not really upto you to lecture these people. The first half of your post I agree with.

ReputationRep:

I agree it deffinetely should not be a race, I guess some people do just want to fit in and have the preconception that everyone at University has 'done it' and therefore they don't want to be the only one.

This of course is a massively unture, at University you meet people from all kinds of background and I've found more of my friends here at University are infact virgins and some of them are a lot older!

N

ReputationRep:
    Pipe down, why is it any of your business what anyone else wants to do. If someone wants to lose their virginity out of a relationship, it's not going to affect you in anyway.
    Unlike you, I have a problem with people who like to moan and whinge about things that do not concern them rather than people who want to lose their virginity fast.

ReputationRep:

:woo: hear! hear!
    i totally agree with yooh..

i dont feel tht i hv to sleep with someone jus because..
    i believe when yooh find the right person and the time is right and you're comfortable then.. thats for me!

and jus bcz we are virgins doesnt me we hvnt had the chance not to be..
    we jus dnt wna be part of the crowd who want kudos for having sex how many times in how many different places..

Jheez.. glad thts off my chest

Kudos to the thread starter:yes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.