Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    No, you're stating opinions whether you mean to or not. "self control" is a load of crap. The concept of "self control" is only admirable when there's a reason to exercise that self control. I'd admire someone who had the self control not to smoke, because it's bad for their health. I'd admire someone who had the self control not to punch a guy who was annoying them, because violence is wrong. I wouldn't admire the self control of someone who had abstained from sky diving, I'd be indifferent. Things like "self control" are only admirable if there's a reason for abstaining for something.
    Would you admire an underage boy for taking responsibility of being a dad and ruining the life of an underage girl all thanks to not using/misusing contraception?

And if you believe that sex is just something that feels good and is enjoyable, then there's no reason to admire someone with "self control" over someone who apparently lacks it. So if you believe that people who are virgins have exercised self control enough for it to be remarked upon, then you're clearly taking sides.
    Once again I'm not taking sides, your showing a very pro-non-virgin charged attitude and Im not against that because if I do show any form of being against it all the tsr-ians here will neg rep me to hell. Once again, enjoyable or not, virgins havent experienced it.

I hate this concept of being a virgin, assumedly, we're all virgin to things we've never done so it shouldnt be specially named for sexual intercourse, but I digress and if it makes u feel better, u win!? i said at the beginning I'm not going to argue.
    (Original post by JoeTSR)
    Oh come on. You don't judge how dangerous substances are by the class they're in? Cannabis has loads of proven, extremely useful healing properties, and has been proved to be safer than both tobacco and alcohol. LSD is basically harmless, and that's class A. Pure ecstacy, that hasn't been cut with anything, is around the same level of safety as LSD. Ketamine, on the other hand, is only class C and is much more dangerous than all the class C's/B's, and nearly as dangerous as cocaine/heroine.
    No I dont but illegal means illegal..

ReputationRep:
    i dont care if you're a virgin or not but dont judge other people

sex is fun and im going to enjoy myself :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karunesh)
    Would you admire an underage boy for taking responsibility of being a dad and ruining the life of an underage girl all thanks to not using/misusing contraception?

Once again I'm not taking sides, your showing a very pro-non-virgin charged attitude and Im not against that because if I do show any form of being against it all the tsr-ians here will neg rep me to hell. Once again, enjoyable or not, virgins havent experienced it.

I hate this concept of being a virgin, assumedly, we're all virgin to things we've never done so it shouldnt be specially named for sexual intercourse, but I digress and if it makes u feel better, u win!? i said at the beginning I'm not going to argue.

No I dont but illegal means illegal..
    So something's a bad idea purely because of its legality?

ReputationRep:
    Yep-yep-yep-yep :O take a break! I said I dont want to argue .. find something better to do; next time, read my entire post before replying. (I dont want to debate/argue)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karunesh)
    Yep-yep-yep-yep :O take a break! I said I dont want to argue .. find something better to do; next time, read my entire post before replying. (I dont want to debate/argue)
    But you were at first... Sounds like you now can't think of anything to come back with, and are refusing to admit you lost the debate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    I don't think it's anything to do with not being a virgin, but to experience something which is supposedly amazing. Sex is a good thing, after all :yep: If I were a virgin any older than university age, say, I'd feel I were missing out on an important part of life - intimacy and closeness (and frankly pleasure) with someone else.

That could just be me.
    I did not understand this, and, unlike you, although I do agree sex is an important part of a relationship, I quite honestly enjoy being single and if I reached 20, stayed single and a virgin, I wouldn't care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    I did not understand this, and, unlike you, although I do agree sex is an important part of a relationship, I quite honestly enjoy being single and if I reached 20, stayed single and a virgin, I wouldn't care.
    I just mean that being a virgin at 20 probably means I'd never have been in a long term relationship, and at the point I'd feel I'd be missing out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    I just mean that being a virgin at 20 probably means I'd never have been in a long term relationship, and at the point I'd feel I'd be missing out.
    ... Or you were religious, or had like, a micropenis :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    ... Or you were religious, or had like, a micropenis :ahee:
    You promised you'd never mention that :getmecoat:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i think as long as you dont regret it, then it doesnt matter when, where or with whom you did it :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeTSR)
    Karunesh you're giving some really stupid analogies... Let me go through them:

I'd LOVE to go bungee jumping! :yes:

Yes, I would. You seem to have a bit of a generalisation here though, not all drugs are the same. Nicotine is a drug, paracetamol is a drug. They're a tad different from stuff such as Cocaine, and heroine.

Oh come on. You don't judge how dangerous substances are by the class they're in? Cannabis has loads of proven, extremely useful healing properties, and has been proved to be safer than both tobacco and alcohol. LSD is basically harmless, and that's class A. Pure ecstacy, that hasn't been cut with anything, is around the same level of safety as LSD. Ketamine, on the other hand, is only class C and is much more dangerous than all the class C's/B's, and nearly as dangerous as cocaine/heroine.

And please don't bring the seven deadly sins into it, you're contradicting yourself, bringing religion into it, and it makes you look like a fanatic.
    You're so right... in all truthfulness, if tobacco and alcohol were found today they would be Class A drugs and and if marijuana was found today it would be hailed as a miracle plant.

:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    Tobacco was acknowledged as being seriously detrimental to the health in 1962 by a Surgeon General's report. The Misuse Of Drugs Act, which started classifying drugs as Class A, B or C was passed in 1971. On what grounds can you possibly justify your claim that "tobacco would be a Class A drug these days", when the health implications of it have been known for the entire time classification has existed, yet it has never been classified at all, much less as Class A?
    Cannabis was made illegal in 1961.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hathlan)
    Why the devil is being a virgin something to be proud of? Damn, that's such ****. It is neither something to be proud of or ashamed of. It's not a virtue, neither is it a negative quality. It just means you haven't had sex. It doesn't make you a better or worse person.
    This. This is what I have been trying to say in most of these recent threads about virginity, you just articulated it far better than I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    Tobacco was acknowledged as being seriously detrimental to the health in 1962 by a Surgeon General's report. The Misuse Of Drugs Act, which started classifying drugs as Class A, B or C was passed in 1971. On what grounds can you possibly justify your claim that "tobacco would be a Class A drug these days", when the health implications of it have been known for the entire time classification has existed, yet it has never been classified at all, much less as Class A?
    What do you mean my grounds for it?

Cigarette smoking can be described with 2 ways, harmful and addictive. You get the same things form drugs like heroin and cocaine, but these are classified and toabcco isn't? Cigarette smoking is like the number 1 killer in comparison to alcohol, other illegal drugs, bad health etc.

That is why it should be classified, it's awful it is nothing more than somethin that is addictive and something that is bad for you.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be surprised if those virgins who are desperate to lose it are just simply horny and really want some sex, not because they are embarassed to be some sort of 'social outcast or weirdo'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiichands)
    I decided not to post this anonymous, this is really a rant thread and I think I need to voice my opinions, ok so here it goes:
    Recently there are many threads saying:
    Ow my I am virgin I want to get laid
    or something along those lines
    now me a virgin myself(and I have many oportunities of getting laid but I chose not to) look at these threads and think : What is going on? Is the word Virgin the new curse word or something.
    As one of the last threads said: VIRGIN is something to be proud of,
    and may I just ask you what do you gain when you are no longer a virgin?
    Nothing, you get no massive card saying WELL DONE YOU LOST YOUR VIRGINITY or like some medal, but the way people have acting on this thread it is just so appaling.

Now!!!!!! for the people who are not virgins but are with a boyfriend or girlfriend they LOVE! then thats fine, I am totally for that.When you find the right person, and you know it is your time then Go ahead I think that is alright!

But what annoys me is these people who are 16 and want to loose their virginity so fast , like it is swine flu or something, really it shows you have no common sense and you want to be part of the crowd !

When you meet a person in the night club and you loose it to them, they wont care because you dont know them, it is not special and you always have that everlasting memory of that not so happy time.

So for ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE DESPERATE to loose their virginity by they go to uni or they turn 16 !
    I think you need rethink what you want.

sorry this is kinda a rant thread, but it had to be said
    I sypmpathise with what you´re saying. There was a thread about a 15 year old that said she was in love with her boyfriend and wanted to have sex with him. Soon enough we'll be seeing threads asking if being a virgin at 8 is normal.
    The only thing that you might gain out of losing your virginity is the approval of those people that judge people based on whether they have had sex or not. Frankly, I don´t think it´s worth it for that.
    Having said that, I´m 17 and I´m still a virgin, which makes me feel like a bit of a social reject. But whatever. I´ve been rejected many times so getting a boyfriend isn´t number one on my list right now, and I doubt it will ever be one of my top priorities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    I wasn't debating the morals of whether tobacco or alcohol should be classified or not. Simply pointing out that JoeTSR is talking out of his arse with that particular statement. Neither tobacco nor alcohol are anywhere near dangerous to be classified as a Class A drug, and people who say so are clearly morons. Potentially they would be considered Class C, or B at the very most. So the standard brainless rhetoric that "if alcohol and tobacco were discovered today they'd be class A drugs" is wrong on both counts: it doesn't escape classification by merit of being a long-existing drug, and even if that were the case they would not qualify as Class A.

And you don't get the same thing from tobacco as you do from heroin or cocaine, that's a ridiculous statement. They're different types of addiction and different levels of harm. Heroin and cocaine are classified because they are highly addictive, and potentially instantly fatal, not to mention a lot more harmful a lot quicker than tobacco or alcohol. Nicotine addiction is more a social addiction than anything else. I've given up smoking. It was difficult, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't a patch on giving up heroin. I've yet to hear of anyone accidentally overdosing on nicotine one day, or someone dying the first time they have a cigarette. The damage done by smoking is caused by years of smoking, and some people never suffer any ill effects at all. The results of being a heroin or cocaine addict don't take long to manifest and are usually fatal sooner rather than later.
    I understand what you mean but put it this way...

Cigarettes cause more deaths than all other illegal drugs combined. I don't care whether it's not potentially instant deaths they are still deaths.

They'd have to be at least class B in our model because Cannabis is class b and for what reason? Cannabis should be legal in all fairness but that is another topic completely.

Also, I don't think tobacco and alcohol aren't classified because they have been round a long time, cannabis has been round thousands of years. Tobacco is legal because it is big money and they make alot of money through tax, similarly, with alcohol. As well as this, these are 2 drugs that do NOTHING for you. The relatively harmless drugs like magic mushrooms, LSD and cannabis are illegal, it's not a coincidence that these drugs also make people question things and think 'what the **** is going on here?'. Not a coincidence at all.

Cannabis was made illegal not because of harm or anything, it was made illegal because hemp was gonna be used for everything and cannabis is a naturally growing medicine, the pharmaceuticals would go out of business.

Anyway, in my books alcohol and tobacco = big big problems.

ReputationRep:
    its not losing the virginity that is cool, its having sex which is good

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.