Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Anybody else doing MSc in Bioinformatics?

I'm staying at Mylne's Court, by the way.

ReputationRep:
    Hey..I would be starting this sep..do u have any idea if this course is better than the one in King's college,london? When was this course started in Edinburgh univ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prasundutta87)
    Hey..I would be starting this sep..do u have any idea if this course is better than the one in King's college,london? When was this course started in Edinburgh univ??
    Hi!

I'm afraid I don't know anything about King's College. But this course is pretty good, I think it was started in the beginning of 00's. Bio courses are taught mostly by biologists who are working in the various research institutes in Edinburgh, like the Stem Cell Research Institute. Don't forget that Dolly was cloned here .

Bioinformatics people take also a good number of machine learning courses which are pretty useful. But generally, you have eligible to choose any informatics course you want. Moreover, you can even change the title of your degree.

ReputationRep:
    Mike,

Do you know anyone doing MSc Informatics(Analytical & Scientific database) or MSc Computer Science(Analytical & Scientific database) specilization of study?

Can you provide few reference book to dig information about the following modules,
    BIO1 - Bioinformatics 1
    BIO2 - Bioinformatics 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oduvas)
    Mike,

Do you know anyone doing MSc Informatics(Analytical & Scientific database) or MSc Computer Science(Analytical & Scientific database) specilization of study?

Can you provide few reference book to dig information about the following modules,
    BIO1 - Bioinformatics 1
    BIO2 - Bioinformatics 2
    Hi,

There is a link to the Bioinformatics 1 page http://www.inf.ed.ac.uk/teaching/courses/2009/bio1.html - you can check the reading list in the bottom. Unfortunately, you can't access the page with lecture slides outside of the university network.

And this is Bio2 http://www.inf.ed.ac.uk/teaching/courses/2009/bio2.html you can even check lecture slides

ReputationRep:
    Mike,

Thanks a lot for that...

Sorry to bother u again...I need to know level of programming language and mathematical knowledge required for MSc Informatics course...

Do u know any one of ur friends currently graduating? if so pls send private message to me...

How many number of students enrolled for MSc Informatics or MSc BioInformatics each year?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.