Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any way to challenge a BT reconnection fee? watch

ReputationRep:
    I moved into my student house for the coming year last month, and naturally wanted to get the phone line and Internet service sorted out as soon as possible.

When we got to the property, the phone didn't work (some old piece of junk) so we bought a new one. We then discovered that the line was dead and there was no tone.

I rang BT and asked for my service to be transferred from the old house to the new one. They informed me that they couldn't find the address on the postal database (rubbish, as the house isn't new and the mail finds it just fine) so they would have to create an entry for the address and install a new line. £122.50 - ouch.

I grudgingly accepted and they said they would send an engineer out between 1 and 6 last Friday to install and test the line. Well, I was away Friday morning and only got back to the house at 1:30, to find a letter saying that they were going to call between 8 and 1. I was pretty angry but decided to test the phone anyway, and to my surprise there was a dial tone and I could ring out. I assumed that the landlord (the house adjoins the landlord's and shares a driveway) had let the engineer in and he'd done his thing.

I then went for a nap and missed a call on my mobile. Suddenly, the landline rang and I thought 'Who the hell would be calling this number already?' I picked it up and it was the BT engineer, who had tried calling my mobile and then rang the landline. He informed me that he was on his way and would be at the house soon.

'Wait a minute', I said, 'I thought you'd already been and gone because the line's working'. He replied that he hadn't been around and that, seeing as the line was working he didn't need to take a look at it, and that the reconnection must have been a simple exchange-side job (i.e. flick a switch). :facepalm2:

This week I got the bill for £122.50 from BT, which I think is an absolute joke as they had to do **** all. I rang them and queried it today and their obtuse response was 'It's a standard charge for a new line or reconnection'. I'm furious. Is there any way I can challenge this? I don't have that kind of money (the rent's eating it all up) and they're going to debit me on the 8th of August.

ReputationRep:
    That does indeed sound wrong as when I moved to my last place as there was a box there they just sent a signal and within minutes it worked no reconnection charge.

I did wriggle out of an actual connection charge I was supposed to pay a few years back because I acted innocent and they found no record of the engineer putting he installed a box on the notes.

Best bet is email the ceo office, each time I have had problems they have sorted it, even wiped a £100 bill once since they wrongfully added late payment charges.

ReputationRep:
    kind of a side point, but surely your landlord should be paying for the connection fee

ReputationRep:
    this is why virgin does so so well out of students, its works out so so so much cheaper than BT

by the time you've payed the connection fee which ussually you have to pay everytime you move into a new place since the person leaving should cancel it, and line rental, it works out much much cheaper to just go with virgin

ReputationRep:
    How do I get in contact with the head office?

Also, I don't think the landlord would be too keen on paying that. Do you say that because our house is attached to his property, or is it a more general thing?

ReputationRep:
    i'd probably cancel the debit (if you can) and then wait for them to contact you asking for the money by phone and then put the case that way.

i remember doing something similar with a phone bill a year or so ago - i didn't think the amount was right but they were having done of it, i cancelled their right to direct debits from my account and when they got it touch a week later i argued with a chap for a good 30 minutes won and that was the end of it

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried about having to pay this (absolutely ******* extortionate) connection fee. I'm moving into a new build probably next month and there's no way in hell I'm paying £120 to get BT to connect the line so I can use it for a few months (probably change to Sky TV/Broadband/Phone incl line rental after my year contract ends at the end of September).

They really are absolute cowboys.

ReputationRep:
    They were running an offer for free reconnection a while back. :hmmmm:

Thats when I joined.

If they say no join Virgin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    I'm worried about having to pay this (absolutely ******* extortionate) connection fee. I'm moving into a new build probably next month and there's no way in hell I'm paying £120 to get BT to connect the line so I can use it for a few months (probably change to Sky TV/Broadband/Phone incl line rental after my year contract ends at the end of September).

They really are absolute cowboys.
    Unfortunately that's about the only time when the connection fee is justified, in a new build house. It costs them something like £300-400 to cable from the street to new builds, so they're actually undercharging in such cases.

They recoup the cost from poor sods like me.

ReputationRep:
    I thought if there had previously been a line then you didn't have to pay, if it instantly switched on like you said then doesn't that indicate that there was in fact a line in place already?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    Unfortunately that's about the only time when the connection fee is justified, in a new build house. It costs them something like £300-400 to cable from the street to new builds, so they're actually undercharging in such cases.

They recoup the cost from poor sods like me.
    It's a massive block of 150+ flats, they've already been wired in, telephone points and everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    It's a massive block of 150+ flats, they've already been wired in, telephone points and everything.
    Yeah, from what I gather, BT does all the wiring from the street up to the entry point to the property. The developer installs the wiring inside each property but BT aren't paid anything - they charge the person moving in rather than the developer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    Yeah, from what I gather, BT does all the wiring from the street up to the entry point to the property. The developer installs the wiring inside each property but BT aren't paid anything - they charge the person moving in rather than the developer.

Seriously considering ditching BT and O2's Access package in favour of Sky's bundles which are not that unreasonable.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.