Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Dark (Medium Tanned) Skin ugly? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KiraMayz)
    Hey everyone,

I was just wondering whether you think dark skin looks ugly. I've always wanted yellow/lightly-tanned skin, and I've thought of suicide to get rid of my dark skin

Also, has anyone tried skin whitening creams. From what I've read, they're not worth it, but I don't know??
    Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    No dark skin is not ugly.

Can I ask if you're asian? I know how in asian culture dark skin is sometimes seen as ugly, no one will want to marry you etc. But to be honest that's all a load of ******** driven by the media and the older generation. I'm quite dark, but I get enough attention to know that in reality most people don't care about the colour of my skin.

Also dark skin tends to age better. Embrace what you have. Oh and don't use skin lightening cream - the difference it will make will be minimal and certainly not worth the damage it will do to you in the long term (i.e premature ageing of the skin).

ReputationRep:
    Its traggic that society has made women and men feel like this.
    I think you need to see this video:-
    http://www.mwza.com/tyra-banks-show-...ng-their-skin/

ReputationRep:
    I hear having no skin is so hot right now. Besides, killing yourself over it won't rid you of it, you'll just be plastered over the newspapers and then everyone can see what you despise so much.

ReputationRep:
    if it's natural then it looks lovely, it's only when people try to fake it that it becomes ugly.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think everyone should attack the OP because this person sounds like they have serious issues and this could of stemmed from others bullying them because they "do not have a pretty skin colour"
    OP i do not think lightening your skin is going to make you feel any better you just need to have confidence in yourself.

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by that_time)
    No dark skin is not ugly.

Can I ask if you're asian? I know how in asian culture dark skin is sometimes seen as ugly, no one will want to marry you etc. But to be honest that's all a load of ******** driven by the media and the older generation. I'm quite dark, but I get enough attention to know that in reality most people don't care about the colour of my skin.

Also dark skin tends to age better. Embrace what you have. Oh and don't use skin lightening cream - the difference it will make will be minimal and certainly not worth the damage it will do to you in the long term (i.e premature ageing of the skin).
    Yes I am Asian. I'm nepalese-Indian. It's not that I don't like tanned skin. I just wish it was a few shades lighter, so that my skin is a more "bronze" colour. :mad2: :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    arent you heard of dark and lovely from that shampoo advert

Don't be ashamed because of your skin colour. I am black and wouldn't change my skin colour for the world.

ReputationRep:
    If you think that having a darker skin is enough for suicide, then I can't imagine what you would do if you had something serious like cancer.

You're being stupid, ignorant and childish. You clearly don't have any idea of what it is like to live with a real problem or disease.

ReputationRep:
    hmm.....I suppose tanned skin goes well with straight black hair. Unfortunately mine is wavy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.