Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Dad's a recovering alcoholic-fallen off the wagon. watch

Announcements

Ok I'm gonna try to get this as short as possible. Basically my dad suffers from bad depression and from Christmsn until about May his drinking got out of hand. He would get up at about 2pm and drink until about 3 or 4am. He wasn't aggressive or anything it he was just pretty pathetic to be honest. Now my mum did absolutely everything she could to stop him drinking but nothing worked.

It eventually all came to head when he wa admitted to hospital after collasping, he was undernorished and dehydrated. When he got out he immediately started drinking again so my mum threw down the gauntlet and said 'Get help or I'm leaving.' So he went to a rehab facility for six week, got all the help he could need, had therapy and everything and he did really well.

So he got out about three weeks ago and had been doing really well, my mum was soo happy saying it was like having her husband back etc. But last night and I was going downstairs as my my dad was going to bed and I could just tell from the way he acted he was drunk, I've seen it enough times to know. I went into the living room and found the glass he was drinking from whixh still had a bit of vodka and coke i it. Considering we have a completelty dry house now it's obvious he'd got vodka from somewhere.

So, finall, my question is what do I do? do i tell my mum? It'll completely break her heart to know he's drinking again. Or will I confront him myself? I know I'll find it really hard to keep my temper I'm getting angry now even thinking about it.
    So advice please this is a ****** situation

ReputationRep:
    This might just be a one of thing. Everyone is allowed to get drunk some times. If it keeps happening talk to him about it, see if he'll go back to the hospital thing.

He's an alcoholic there can't be any one offs once he starts he won't be able to stop.

ReputationRep:
    My Dad was in a similar situation to this OP. He drank almost solidly for about 3 weeks day and night. He got so bad that he developed cirrohsis of the liver ( sorry that isnt spelt correctly), his body began to fill up with water so we called the doctor. My Dad spent 8 weeks in total in hospital drying out. He was so ill that the doctor said he wouldnt last the night.....by some sort of miracle he did. Once he was released from the hospital he was almost back to usual and he didnt touch a drop after that.

I really do think you should tell your Mum about this, yes I know she will be angry but she needs to know.

You can PM me if you want to talk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pickford)
    This might just be a one of thing. Everyone is allowed to get drunk some times. If it keeps happening talk to him about it, see if he'll go back to the hospital thing.
    As the OP has said an alcoholic isnt someone that can just choose when or where they drink and how often, so its a little silly to post this.

OP i think you need to tell your mum as sheis going to find out at some point anyway, if you dad is drinking again. He needs to still get some help, the person that is most likely going to be able to persuade him is your mum and you combined by talking to him about it, you on your own you may struggle. At least as a team you can help one another and support each other, trying to deal with it on your own is going to be hard.

ReputationRep:
    Tell your mum.

ReputationRep:
    Tell your mum.

I understand what you are going through OP, as my dad is also an alcoholic ( sober for 4 years). If you ever want to talk, im always here. I just remember how lonely and isolated i felt when my dad was at his worst . I know how hard it is living and growing up woth an alcoholic parent.
    I hope for your dads, and both yours and your mums sake that he gets the help he needs.
    In the end, after years and years of problem, my mum threw my dad out, and said he could only come back once he could prove that he was sober. He lost everything for a while, but it did kick start him into his alcohol recovery, which he still attends now ( AA meetings).

x

ReputationRep:
    Tell your mom. The worst thing you can do is enable an alcoholic, and by turning a blind eye, that's essentially what you're doing. Every drunk has a bottom, and it's better they reach it sooner than later, so they don't waste any more years and cause any more harm to themselves and their families.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.