Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I've never really got the hang of applying eyeliner and just left it off. I think it does look good on some people but I don't think the thick, dramatic style suits my personality or general attitude (which is...casual I suppose)

I think this looks pretty crap actually:-

But then I think I'd quite like to create this sort of look with the eyes:-

I think she's got a little bit of eyeliner on at least...

Anyway what's the best product to use if you're a bit **** at applying and you want to create a fairly subtle, neat look (tools as well as the actual colouring)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    A regular pencil smudged into the lashes will create that look just fine.

EDIT: Also she's probably only wearing mascara on her top lashes - I do that sort of look as part of my everyday makeup, and eyeliner on the top lashed makes it look too 'evening'-like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fjarskafinn)
    A regular pencil smudged into the lashes will create that look just fine.

EDIT: Also she's probably only wearing mascara on her top lashes - I do that sort of look as part of my everyday makeup, and eyeliner on the top lashed makes it look too 'evening'-like.
    No I think she's definitely wearing mascara on top and bottom. Anyway ignoring the mascara whenever I've tried to apply with a pencil it looks crap..I can't get it close to the lashes like that there's always a gap. is there something else you can use?

ReputationRep:
    put it on the rims of your eyes?

ReputationRep:
    if u want to get it to look like you have eyeliner on but cant get it quite right, wet the end of a cotton bud and rub itin black or dark eyeshadow and then rub it on your eye lid as close to the lashes as u can then smudge away any excess with ur ring finger as its more gentle than all the others. hope it works )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarylAnne)
    if u want to get it to look like you have eyeliner on but cant get it quite right, wet the end of a cotton bud and rub itin black or dark eyeshadow and then rub it on your eye lid as close to the lashes as u can then smudge away any excess with ur ring finger as its more gentle than all the others. hope it works )

Ok I'll try this.

I've found with a pencil that it takes quite a lot of effort to actually get it onto the eyelid, there was quite a lot of resistance and it wasn't a very smooth process. But the one time i tried liquid that was completely disastrous...just smudged everywhere.
    Is there something inbetween pencil or liquid? Or is there perhaps a pencil brand which is very easy to apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cats_have_teats)
    Ok I'll try this.

I've found with a pencil that it takes quite a lot of effort to actually get it onto the eyelid, there was quite a lot of resistance and it wasn't a very smooth process. But the one time i tried liquid that was completely disastrous...just smudged everywhere.
    Is there something inbetween pencil or liquid? Or is there perhaps a pencil brand which is very easy to apply?
    Your pencil may have been too cold, so it takes a lot of effort. I use Collection 2000 - the cheapy brand at Superdrug - as I think it's pretty good. You need to make sure it's warm enough though, or it won't work! Just leave it sat in the sun or something.

As for liquid, it takes a while to get used to, but it's just a case of practising. Just have a lot of cotton buds to hand, and then you can just erase your mistakes pretty easily

ReputationRep:
    You do get felt tip eyeliners but I haven't yet found a brand that I'm happy with. I had a Max Factor one and it was terrible. Maybe someone else here knows a decent one.

ReputationRep:
    buy gosh velvet touch eyeliner. it's fantastic. you will no have trouble whatsoever. it also smudges where you want it to and doesn't smudge during the day.

ReputationRep:
    i put mine on the radiator for bout 30 secs if its not working right, it goes really soft but is easier than liquid x

ReputationRep:
    It might be more accurate if you make sure your pencil is sharp. I think it just takes repeat after repeat of doing it, to get it right. Also, for a more natural look you could use a brown eyeliner or a dark slate grey, instead of black?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noémie)
    buy gosh velvet touch eyeliner. it's fantastic. you will no have trouble whatsoever. it also smudges where you want it to and doesn't smudge during the day.
    I just read the product review and it says you can't use it on the moist ledge on the lower eyelid... other than that it sounds quite good.

Actually can you use any eyeliners on that moist bit? Probably a bit dodgy for your eyes isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    i use black eyeshadow as eyeliner, it gives the effect on the first two pics. i just use a black eyeshadow (my fave is MAC carbon) and a fine eyeshadow brush, then apply it the same way you do with pencil eyeliner.

ReputationRep:
    I just read the product review and it says you can't use it on the moist ledge on the lower eyelid... other than that it sounds quite good.

Actually can you use any eyeliners on that moist bit? Probably a bit dodgy for your eyes isn't it?
    Apparently not Pretty much any eyeliner you apply there will wear off after a little while and into your eye so it's not going to do your eye any good.

ReputationRep:
    Ok well thanks everyone for the tips. The problem is in the shops they don't let you try on the eyeliners Grrr.

Anyway I think I'll probably go with GOSH and try the radiator trick if it fails to apply easily.

ReputationRep:
    For a more natural, subtle look definitely go for brown eyeliner instead of black. It will be much less harsh looking. There are like gel eyeliners, I think there's one in avon that is gel although I may be mistaken. It's in a pot, and you use a special angled brush to apply it. However, my friend has it and I'd say it's much more tricky than both pencil and liquid. Just persevere with pencil eyeliner and you'll get there eventually. It does get easier with practise! Just apply it as close to your lashes as possible and don't worry about the thickness of the line. Try to do it in one sweeping motion rather than hesitating and doing it bit by bit. Once you've got a line that's close to your lashes, you can use your finger to basically "move" the eyeliner up closer to your lash line. Obviously you're not actually moving it, but this way you will wipe away the thickness of the line and be left with the thin, subtle line near your lashes. It's better than wiping it sideways because then it will smudge everywhere and the line won't have a smooth, even finish. Okay, it's really hard to follow what I'm saying because I'm not wording it very clearly, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MySweetheartTheDrunk)
    For a more natural, subtle look definitely go for brown eyeliner instead of black. It will be much less harsh looking. There are like gel eyeliners, I think there's one in avon that is gel although I may be mistaken. It's in a pot, and you use a special angled brush to apply it. However, my friend has it and I'd say it's much more tricky than both pencil and liquid. Just persevere with pencil eyeliner and you'll get there eventually. It does get easier with practise! Just apply it as close to your lashes as possible and don't worry about the thickness of the line. Try to do it in one sweeping motion rather than hesitating and doing it bit by bit. Once you've got a line that's close to your lashes, you can use your finger to basically "move" the eyeliner up closer to your lash line. Obviously you're not actually moving it, but this way you will wipe away the thickness of the line and be left with the thin, subtle line near your lashes. It's better than wiping it sideways because then it will smudge everywhere and the line won't have a smooth, even finish. Okay, it's really hard to follow what I'm saying because I'm not wording it very clearly, sorry!
    I definitely agree with this since, you want to do your eye make-up like the last picture and she's definitely wearing brown mascara

ReputationRep:
    Ok I'll try this.

a pencil brand which is very easy to apply is http://www.superdrug.com/invt/284858 - they do LOADS of colours
    I have lots of them :ninja:
    It's like a creamy kind of formula (most of them) and smudges very easily when you apply it, but you have to be quick because it won;t let you smudge it after a while :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MySweetheartTheDrunk)
    Forgive the crudeness of my MS Paint diagram (below). But are you suggesting that I should motion the eyeliner down towards the lash line (same as on the left eye in the picture) rather than smudging it in acrossways (same as on the right eye in the picture)?

(click to enlarge)

ReputationRep:

I've used it on the moist bit of my lowerlid :ninja: (:facepalm: to me)
    It didn't mess my eyes up or anything - :hide:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.