Turn on thread page Beta

Hopeful applicants, how do you deal with poop, vomit and being spat at and punched? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surely_unsure)
    Hopeful applicants, how do you deal with poop, vomit and being spat at and punched?
    poop and vomit - Kid brother nothing phases me after babysitting him god knows how many times even when he had a stomach bug for a week and my parents were away.

Spat at - Just clean it off your self quickly and report it

Punched - i do a martial art so used to it im afraid - try to avoid it if possible if they keep coming at you, their going to say hello to the floor or my foot.

ReputationRep:
    Aaaand this is why work experience as a care assistant should be mandatory, I experienced all 4 today and for the sweet sweet pay of £6.40 an hour :rolleyes:

Please bear in mind that you are just as likely, if not moreso, to be kicked and punched by an 80 year old woman with dementia as a 16 year old drunk and by god it can still hurt.

ReputationRep:
    Hopeful applicants, how do you deal with poop, vomit and being spat at and punched?
    Blimey - medical school admissions have got a little bit more harsh than when I were a lass. They're covering applicants with body fluids and kicking the living daylights out of them now, are they?

I'm guessing most have never been covered in the aforementioned substances or punched in their lives to know how they cope with it.

ReputationRep:
    You have to watch out for the 5 P's:

Piss
    Pus
    Puke
    Poo
    Professors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueRoses)
    Aaaand this is why work experience as a care assistant should be mandatory, I experienced all 4 today and for the sweet sweet pay of £6.40 an hour :rolleyes:

Please bear in mind that you are just as likely, if not moreso, to be kicked and punched by an 80 year old woman with dementia as a 16 year old drunk and by god it can still hurt.
    Exactly this, haha I love my job, at get paid 10p more p/h :rolleyes: :p:

I got told by one lady that I was her favourite carer, then two seconds later she was swiping at me for appying cream between her legs (red raw and almost bleeding). Poor thing, I do feel sorry for them

ReputationRep:
    Always have a code to theatre changing rooms handy. If worst happens and you do get covered with bodily fluids you have an easy access to a shower and set of clean scrubs.

Attend a course on dealing with aggression if offered. It amazes me sometimes how many people think that shouting back at an angry patient/relative is a good and safe way to deal with a situation.

Saying all that in the past 4 years on the wards (as a student and HCA) I got covered in nasty stuff only 3 times (I don't count baby vomit) and was attacked by a patient twice (with no injury to myself).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    what year are you in? Im sure you must have come across with a little bit of poop or someone feeling sick, and a little bit coming up

phlegm gets to me...and very smelly runny poo, still makes me gag a bit, especially someone coughing up phlegm and you're panicing to find the pot, and the person expects you to hold it under them..and they cough on your hand, and even though you have gloves on you can still feel it running down, ugh im gagging at the thought
    I don't mind phlegm, more poop and I suppose vaginal bleeding/STI sores!

ReputationRep:
    The only bodily function that makes me retch is haematemesis. It's just... urgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    The only bodily function that makes me retch is haematemesis. It's just... urgh.
    More so than malaena?

ReputationRep:
    You just refuse treatment for the latter two. The first two come with the job unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    How much poo is around these days for medic students to deal with? I never really thought about this. Vomit, blood and phlegm I can deal with but smelly poo ewww. I feel sick reading this thread haha.

ReputationRep:
    when i was working as a trainee bms - i had to spend 3 weeks working in 'the poo room'! it was not nice! lots of poo samples to deal with (and the runny, mucous-y, green poos with ?C Diff had to be split and sent to another hospital - it often involved scissors!!). worse still - the guy i was working in there with didnt have a sense of smell and so didnt bother with having the window open.

other than that - im not a big fan of pee - but i can cope with it, blood is fine for me, vomit isnt very nice but i can cope with that too. never been punched by a patient but i train in karate so i have been punched before.

Sputum on the other hand - not nice! cant even look at it. euch!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comp_Genius)
    You just refuse treatment for the latter two. The first two come with the job unfortunately.
    You can't really refuse if the patient has a severe learning disability mixed in with challenging behaviour or maybe an austic.

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd chip in on this purely for the violence thing.

Apparently, Dentists are up on the "hit list" so to speak either due to active or passive aggression.

I have the best way to deal with it -

I'm not doing this just to get slapped around by some fanny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    More so than malaena?
    Never had the pleasure of dealing with it

Just you watch, next time I go into a hospital it'll be the first thing I come across :rolleyes:

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.