Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Question: Is it worth saving up too buy the 'real macoy' rather then the high street version?

Is buying a designer piece an investment rather then say a waste off money?

Not that I could atm afford designer clothes, shoes ect

I don't know. I see this UK flag bag from chanel in this magazine and then see the primark version and I just think "that one is so much nicer and just think in the future it may still be worth something".

ReputationRep:
    It depends on a lot of things, really. For trendy, statement pieces, I say go for cheap options because they'll date. But, if it's a classic: something you know you'll be wearing for years, it's worth saving and paying that bit more so you know it will last. For example, some of the pieces I have from AllSaints have been in my wardrobe for two or three years now, and I still wear and love them. (Not designer, I know, but they're one of the most expensive high street stores.)

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the designer things look better than the high street things. They're also often much more durable. Plus have you seen the amount of time and effort that goes into making a louis vuitton handbag? It's worth the pricetag imo.

So as long as you're talking about designers like chanel, and D&, and not about brands like abercrombie, hollister, JW etc.

So I say, if you like it, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I don't really believe that you get what you pay for when it comes to designer. I used to be one of those people who used to buy a lot of clothes from Primark for dirt cheap that got wrecked really easily. Now I'd rather spend extra on things I wear a lot like jeans and simple tops because I know they'll last longer.

The trick is to identify the quality and decide if you can justify paying that much for it.

ReputationRep:
    Not only do designer clothes look better, they feel better, more comfortable. Basically, you get what you pay for. I would go as far as saying, you can tell how much a person is worth by what clothes they wear.

ReputationRep:
    But also you have to remember that designer goods have a massive mark-up which is mainly down to their name. So you can't really assume that just because something is expensive that it will last you forever. I know someone who got a designer handbag (I think it was either Chloe or Mulberry, or something equally expensive) and she had to return it after a couple of weeks because the colour was fading and bits were falling off it.

Saying that, it is my dream to own a Chanel 2.55, just because I think its really beautiful and timeless. Plus its the sort of thing you could probably sell in 50 years time and make a massive profit on.

ReputationRep:
    I would only buy designer bags and shoes. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I like the High Street for everything

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.