Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Positive Pregnancy Test - Freaking out! Watch

Long story short, on the pill and missed a couple by accident a few weeks ago, decided to take a test this morning and instantly came up positive (didn't think they even did that, I thought you had to always wait a couple minutes to get the result).

I've phoned my boyfriend and we're going to talk when I see him later but I'm planning on getting another test to make sure but I'm totally freaking out!!!

We've been joking lately that I was pregnant because I had been putting a bit of weight on around my stomach but I never thought it would be true!

What next? Doctors? and will they do blood tests and stuff right away because I'm not prepared for that.

ReputationRep:
    Hang on - instantly? Were you using the ones where the pink-ish bar moves across (which terrified the hell outta me) and then leaves nothing in the box (not pregnant), or does leave a line there? (pregnant)

Triple check the instructions and do more tests. I hate to be patronising but could the line that came up be the 'control' one?

If you did do it properly, or used one which actually comes up on the screen pregnant or not pregnant, it is highly likely you are. A trip to the GP is needed, and they may well do a blood test.

No I have did one before the exact same so I knew how to do it. It was a clear blue one. The line goes across horizontally as standard in the result box and if you're pregnant it comes up a line going vertical across the horizontal one to make a plus which it did right away this time.

ReputationRep:
    That could suggest your HGC levels are quite high and may be further along than you think. You will need to ring your doctors for an appointment asap, I was scheduled a midwife appointment first rather than a doctors appointment but that may depend on your area. My midwife calculated my due date based on the first day of my last period, I am not sure if it is the same principal for women using contraception as the pill break creates an artificial bleed.

You may need to go for a dating scan to determine how pregnant you are, try not to worry about your pregnancy test and wait for your appointment to discuss your options. You need to decide fairly quickly what action you would like to take, if you decide to keep the baby I recommend getting folic acid tablets now to help the baby as it can help prevent spina bifida.

ReputationRep:
    Buy another test, and if it shows up positive as well you need to get an appoinment with your GP asap. I know you'll be scared and might wanna wait, but I think you also know it's what has to be done, and waiting isn't going to change anything.
    Talk to your boyfriend, hopefully he'll be supportive, and could join you at the GP if that's what you want.
    Alternatively, if you don't want to make an appointment with your GP you could always go to your GUM clinic? They offer pregnancy tests.

ReputationRep:
    You need to know one way or another for peace of mind really, and to make a decision if it is positive.
    How about buying another home-test so you have time to take in whatever the result is and calm down, and go to the doctors even if it's negative to make sure sure either way.
    Whatever happens, you need the GP appointment urgently, even if just to find out you're not pregnant.
    However, false positives are quite rare. Good luck whatever happens.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a bit too late for "need to know one way or the other", girl you are pregnant. The reason they give 99% accuracy on them is because sometimes girls get a negative result when they are pregnant because of very low HGC levels, but there's no possible way you'd get a positive result you're not pregnant. It sounds like you got a very strong reaction too, you you may be a little more pregnant than you think you are.

Go to the doctors and have all the checks. I hope everything turns out OK for you.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget, if you're still on the pill, that can affect your reading, i was warned when i went on my pill that some pregnancy tests could show positive when i wasn't pregnant because of the change in hormones. But regardless, see your gp about it. (I have no idea what HGC is)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meandmyimaginaryfriend)
    Don't forget, if you're still on the pill, that can affect your reading, i was warned when i went on my pill that some pregnancy tests could show positive when i wasn't pregnant because of the change in hormones. But regardless, see your gp about it. (I have no idea what HGC is)
    NO! That is wrong.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You need to see your doctor because the sooner you find out for sure, the sooner you can start thinking about what you want to do. However scary it is, it isn't going to go away, so you need to be proactive about it.

ReputationRep:
    You really need to get to a Dr and weigh up your options.

I have taken another test and the result was the same. I'm going to phone the doctor's first thing in the morning and my boyfriend has told me he will be 100% behind me.

What should I expect from this visit to the doctors? Just a test and the result or will their be more to it if it is confirmed?

ReputationRep:
    It's sunday tomorrow...

Sorry I meant Monday morning.

ReputationRep:
    I got pregnant once... I really want to post this as anonymous but it would have helped me a lot more if I could have talked to someone first who had been through the same thing. So message me your email address and we can chat on msn? If you want to of course if not, good luck!!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What should I expect from this visit to the doctors? Just a test and the result or will their be more to it if it is confirmed?
    I'd pm you rather than posting on the thread but you're anonymous.

Depends whether or not you want to keep the baby I suppose. I have no idea what happens at the first doctor's appointment if you're NOT wanting to keep it.

If you are though, the first doctor's appointment is fairly straight forward. They'll do you a pregnancy test, then tell you you need to make an appointment with the midwife. That's it.

After my first pregnancy I never bothered making a doctor's appointment because it was pointless - for my subsequent pregnancies, I just straight away made one with the midwife, because that's all the doctor tells you to do anyway. The doctor's test is no more reliable than the ones you buy at the supermarket these days anyway, so I don't think there's any point in you going to the doctor, he'll only tell you that you're pregnant and that you need to see the midwife.

Once you get your first midwife appointment, you'll be asked to bring in a urine sample for her to check on the day. Once you get there, she'll give you an estimate of when your baby should be due, take your blood pressure, give you another urine sample pot to take home for next time, and basically just talk to you.

Your first scan (unless you're not keeping the baby, or if there are any health problems) won't be until you're 12 weeks pregnant. That will be a dating scan so that they can give you a more specific date of when your baby is due.

Think that's all you need to know really - if you need to know anything else send me a pm if you like. I'd rather not post on the thread again I'm trying to stay away from TSR. I'll answer pms though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.