Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is acceptable in self-defence? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Flesh wounds should be acceptable in defense

ReputationRep:
    *Subscribes*
    Can somebody doing law please clarify exactly what you can do?

You can't kill somebody if they're attacking you with a knife, can you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorian gray)
    *Subscribes*

No, you are not allowed. I don't think the law permits one to take another's life, regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pouria91)
    kick in balls
    And if it's a woman?

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to kill in the name of self-defence, and the defence of your property.

If a person breaks into your house, you should be able to kill that person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Fair Britain?)
    And if it's a woman?
    Punch her Boobs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pouria91)
    Punch her Boobs
    Fair enough. :p:

ReputationRep:
    If someone enters your house with the express intent of taking your property you should be able to do what the bloody hell you like with them.

I'm fully prepared and will shoot someone who breaks into my house to protect my belongings and family.

ReputationRep:
    "Reasonableness" is a perfectly good standard.

(Original post by dorian gray)
    *Subscribes*

You can if it is reasonable. If you can find another option then you must take it. If you can run away, you must do that. If, however, in extreme circumstances the only way to effectively prevent your attacker from attacking you is to do something that might kill them, then that's fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Fair Britain?)
    I was watching 'Real Crime' yesterday on ITV1, with it being about the case of farmer Tony Martin, who killed a burgler who was in his house. Initially, Tony Martin was charged with murder, but later on appeal, this was reduced to manslaughter.
    I saw that too. Was very amused by the Texas situation where the state pays you $5,000 or something like that for shooting a convicted housebreaker on your property.

(Original post by Sam656)
    This country’s ridiculous, you catch someone breaking into your car, give them a hiding and you get done for assault lol.
    That's not ridiculous, it's not for you to be passing out punishment beatings to people..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I saw that too. Was very amused by the Texas situation where the state pays you $5,000 or something like that for shooting a convicted housebreaker on your property.
    Only in America. :p:

Nah, I was really surprised to hear that as well. Do you know whether by 'shooting' they mean killing?

ReputationRep:
    Try and put yourself in the shoes of the burglar or person committing the crime. Humans are naturally aggressive and territorial - even more so if they're taken by surprise, which is exactly what you'll be doing if you sneak into someone's house.

If I were entering into that situation, I'd be expecting to get seriously hurt, and I'd consider escaping with anything less than that an extreme stroke of luck.

It's common sense: provoke a snake and, chances are, it'll bite. How do you avoid being bitten? Don't go into the snake pit in the first place.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.