Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a semi-dilemma on my hands... I'm going to be applying for 2010 entry for Psychology at Glasgow, Bangor, Newcastle and Aberdeen, but I still need a 5th choice The typical offers are ABB, BBB, BBB and CCC...I know they're reasonably low and I should aim higher but I'm not too sure, they're still great unis. Newcastle would typically be AAA, but I have 3 sciences so that makes it BBB. I now need a 5th around ABB but I can't find one with suitable course content that I'd like. Any suggestions??? Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff! Their Social Sciences department is really good, and I'm not just saying that. Typical offers are AAA/AAB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Cardiff! Their Social Sciences department is really good, and I'm not just saying that. Typical offers are AAA/AAB.
    This person is not just saying that because I second it.

ReputationRep:
    Sussex asks for AAB-ABB and in my opinion, they have some really interesting looking courses. Might be better waiting til results day to decide though so you've got a clearer idea of what you're capable of and what to expect to get at A2. Royal Holloway also asks for AAB-ABB and would be a good choice. They have a very detailed guide to their course modules on their website.

What areas are you most interested in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meliae)
    Sussex asks for AAB-ABB and in my opinion, they have some really interesting looking courses. Might be better waiting til results day to decide though so you've got a clearer idea of what you're capable of and what to expect to get at A2. Royal Holloway also asks for AAB-ABB and would be a good choice. They have a very detailed guide to their course modules on their website.

What areas are you most interested in?
    I'm mainly interested in the neuroscientific explanations of behaviour, cognition and individual differences. It may sound like I should go for neuroscience instead, but I love psychology too much! I'm hopefully predicted A*ABB, but I may be able to swindle another A in there instead of one of the Bs if I get a B in Biology come 20th August...
    Then if that happens I'd be predicted A*AAB, pretty good in my opinion, good enough for maybe even Oxford, but I'm not keeping my hopes high.
    I'd love for that to happen, but if it doesn't I have to be prepared right?
    EDIT: A* (Italian), A (Psychology), B (Biology), B (Chemistry)

ReputationRep:
    can you get A* at A2 ?!

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at Leeds Uni? That was my top choice for a while.

ReputationRep:
    Another for Cardiff, because I desperately want to go there or Surrey if you'd rather be London way. They've both got placement years for experience.

ReputationRep:
    I'm AS, as you can imagine, but I did the full Italian A-level this year and I'm expecting an A* (and yes zoe_uwe, they are possible this year).
    As for Surry, it's too "London", I don't particularly want to be anywhere near London. That's why Royal Holloway is a no no.
    (Original post by Atrixa)
    Atrixa, how did you get an offer of BBB for Durham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxik_apple)
    I'm AS, as you can imagine, but I did the full Italian A-level this year and I'm expecting an A* (and yes zoe_uwe, they are possible this year).
    As for Surry, it's too "London", I don't particularly want to be anywhere near London. That's why Royal Holloway is a no no.
    Oh that's a shame. I know Godspeed Gehenna switched to Royal Holloway because the course there is more neurosciency. Why are you applying to places asking for Bs and Cs though with predicted grades like that? Bristol is very sciencey and York. I'm interested in pretty much the same areas as you and I really like Bristol's 3rd year modules. Bath puts its emphasis on social and health psychology which is why I'm not applying. Have a look at Sussex's Psychology with Cognitive Science course. I love the sound of that but I didn't want to give up one of my other choices.

I'm applying to Oxford (AAA), York (AAB), Bristol (AAA-AAB), Bangor (BBC) and Nottingham (AAB). Maybe have a look at those? Applying to 1 or 2 with lower entry requirements, 2 with what you're predicted or thereabouts, and one with a bit higher that you really like would be a good idea (as opposed to all 5 being lower).

(Atrixa got an offer of BBB because it's Applied Psychology at Queen's Campus which is a different course. The standard offer for Psychology at Durham is AAA.)

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's a shame. I know Godspeed Gehenna switched to Royal Holloway because the course there is more neurosciency. Why are you applying to places asking for Bs and Cs though with predicted grades like that? Bristol is very sciencey and York. I'm interested in pretty much the same areas as you and I really like Bristol's 3rd year modules. Bath puts its emphasis on social and health psychology which is why I'm not applying. Have a look at Sussex's Psychology with Cognitive Science course. I love the sound of that but I didn't want to give up one of my other choices.

I'm applying to Oxford (AAA), York (AAB), Bristol (AAA-AAB), Bangor (BBC) and Nottingham (AAB). Maybe have a look at those? Applying to 1 or 2 with lower entry requirements, 2 with what you're predicted or thereabouts, and one with a bit higher that you really like would be a good idea (as opposed to all 5 being lower).

(Atrixa got an offer of BBB because it's Applied Psychology at Queen's Campus which is a different course. The standard offer for Psychology at Durham is AAA.)
    Ahhhhh I don't know =(
    I know I'm predicted ABB, possibly AAB. If you include the Italian then it's A*(or A)ABB or AAAB but I'm just not willing to risk it... I guess I'll have a better idea come results day, if I do actually get a B in Biology then I can be a bit more realistic. I really like the idea of Durham, I'll check out the Applied Psychology, and Sussex. I'm just SOO confused!!!!
    I don't even have GCSEs because I came over from Italy (I'm English) to do A-levels, without any prior formal qualifications so I'm taking Maths and English this November, but some unis might get a little uncomfortable with that. Otherwise they'll understand because I simply can't be the only one with them....

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and I'm applying to Bangor, (I thought it was BBB? Different course?) and Glasgow which I LOVE the look!!

ReputationRep:
    Wish they had A* when I did A-Levels, pah. Warwick for Psych? Biased here maybe though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoe_uwe)
    can you get A* at A2 ?!
    Yes, for the 2008 A-Level cycle and onwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nhala)
    Wish they had A* when I did A-Levels, pah. Warwick for Psych? Biased here maybe though.
    Warwick require BBBb for students with 2 or more sciences, which I have. However, the little tiny "b" would come from Maths, in which I expect to fail. Some people just don't have the ability or patience! Unless they'd accept an A in the full Italian A level?

ReputationRep:
    aim high toxic apple. high high high for the sky

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and I'm applying to Bangor, (I thought it was BBB? Different course?) and Glasgow which I LOVE the look!!
    At the open day they said BBC for psychology. However, if you're predicted higher than that (such as AAA), they say they like to give higher offers to 'recognise potential'. I assume if you missed an offer like that though, they'd let you in anyway but that's just speculation.

Ahhhhh I don't know =(
    I know I'm predicted ABB, possibly AAB. If you include the Italian then it's A*(or A)ABB or AAAB but I'm just not willing to risk it... I guess I'll have a better idea come results day, if I do actually get a B in Biology then I can be a bit more realistic. I really like the idea of Durham, I'll check out the Applied Psychology, and Sussex. I'm just SOO confused!!!!
    I don't even have GCSEs because I came over from Italy (I'm English) to do A-levels, without any prior formal qualifications so I'm taking Maths and English this November, but some unis might get a little uncomfortable with that. Otherwise they'll understand because I simply can't be the only one with them....
    Oh, so you speak fluent Italian? I didn't realise that. In that case they might not accept your A level in it. You could email universities and ask if they'd count it if there's any with higher requirements you'd like to apply to? Don't rule out the unis asking AAA-ABB so easily, especially as you don't even have your results yet.

As for Durham, don't forget that Applied Psychology is at the Stockton campus rather than in Durham city. Unis should understand about your lack of GCSEs but again, best to email them and check.

By the way, if you have questions about psychology courses, you'd have better luck in the forum specifically for them as they'd be more likely to be seen by people actually doing psychology.

ReputationRep:
    At the open day they said BBC for psychology. However, if you're predicted higher than that (such as AAA), they say they like to give higher offers to 'recognise potential'. I assume if you missed an offer like that though, they'd let you in anyway but that's just speculation.

Oh, so you speak fluent Italian? I didn't realise that. In that case they might not accept your A level in it. You could email universities and ask if they'd count it if there's any with higher requirements you'd like to apply to? Don't rule out the unis asking AAA-ABB so easily, especially as you don't even have your results yet.

As for Durham, don't forget that Applied Psychology is at the Stockton campus rather than in Durham city. Unis should understand about your lack of GCSEs but again, best to email them and check.

By the way, if you have questions about psychology courses, you'd have better luck in the forum specifically for them as they'd be more likely to be seen by people actually doing psychology.
    I've tried the Psychology forum, they seem to busy as I never get many replies. Even if I do speak fluent Italian, it is still an achievement? I wasn't there my whole life (six years) and my parents aren't Italian... Just like the kids who take their Chinese exam, even though they're Chinese. Why would they bother if it's not even counted? And again, it's not my mother language. I studied Latin and Greek in Italy =) didn't need to say that lol. Oh, the recognising potential thing is BS! I'm not saying it's not true, it is! Just, it's sort of unfair if you ask me... what if applicants were considering Bangor as an insurance and they still offer AAB, thinking they'd offer BBC? Gosh, that'd be a bummer! Hmm, I still don't know. The Psychology with Crimonology course at Hull seems kinda catchy, I spoke with my Dad about it and realised it's something I've been interested in since I could understand those CSI programmes =P
    Durham, hmmmm? Hull?
    Ahhhhh
    Well, I guess I'll just have to e-mail Aberdeen, Glasgow, Newcastle and Bangor. *copy and paste*
    I've already emailed Bangor, after several attempts and still no replies I phoned them and said as long as I have GCSE Maths grade C they don't really care if I don't have any others if there's a decent explanation. I'll have the English one as well, both Maths and English expected to be As obviously =P
    Long reply, I'm sorry

ReputationRep:
    I've tried the Psychology forum, they seem to busy as I never get many replies. Even if I do speak fluent Italian, it is still an achievement? I wasn't there my whole life (six years) and my parents aren't Italian... Just like the kids who take their Chinese exam, even though they're Chinese. Why would they bother if it's not even counted? And again, it's not my mother language. I studied Latin and Greek in Italy =) didn't need to say that lol. Oh, the recognising potential thing is BS! I'm not saying it's not true, it is! Just, it's sort of unfair if you ask me... what if applicants were considering Bangor as an insurance and they still offer AAB, thinking they'd offer BBC? Gosh, that'd be a bummer! Hmm, I still don't know. The Psychology with Crimonology course at Hull seems kinda catchy, I spoke with my Dad about it and realised it's something I've been interested in since I could understand those CSI programmes =P
    Durham, hmmmm? Hull?
    Ahhhhh
    Well, I guess I'll just have to e-mail Aberdeen, Glasgow, Newcastle and Bangor. *copy and paste*
    I've already emailed Bangor, after several attempts and still no replies I phoned them and said as long as I have GCSE Maths grade C they don't really care if I don't have any others if there's a decent explanation. I'll have the English one as well, both Maths and English expected to be As obviously =P
    Long reply, I'm sorry
    Well, it's an achievement to have learnt fluent Italian, and the A level is concrete proof that you speak it. The A level is really intended for people who don't have knowledge of Italian above GCSE though. It's like if I went to France and was the best in an English class there. It's not meant for native speakers. On the other hand, you're not a native speaker and it isn't your mother tongue so perhaps in your case they'll count it.

I think perhaps Bangor don't want their offer to look too out of place amongst a set of AAA and AAB offers or perhaps it's to increase the chances of them being used as a firm not an insurance choice. It does only say 'slightly' higher. Perhaps ABB or BBB? I imagine they'd be lenient if you missed it anyway. Otherwise they'd be turning away some of their best applicants. It's a great department. At the open day, they blamed the area for why the best applicants didn't generally want to go there. Personally, I love the area (though I don't know if I'd like to go to uni there) but the overall rep of the uni puts me off. Still applying anyway and it's perfect as an insurance option, but I'm not convinced it'd be a good idea to choose it over somewhere like Oxford or York. Also, if I did I wouldn't have an insurance as it would be my lowest offer. Perhaps that's why Bangor want to push up their offer.

You should be fine with your lack of GCSEs. I really don't think anywhere can blame you for not having them, especially as you're taking maths and english. Those and science are the most important ones, and you've got science A levels so I can't see why there'd be a problem. Still, best be on the safe side.

ReputationRep:
    I have a semi-dilemma on my hands... I'm going to be applying for 2010 entry for Psychology at Glasgow, Bangor, Newcastle and Aberdeen, but I still need a 5th choice The typical offers are ABB, BBB, BBB and CCC...I know they're reasonably low and I should aim higher but I'm not too sure, they're still great unis. Newcastle would typically be AAA, but I have 3 sciences so that makes it BBB. I now need a 5th around ABB but I can't find one with suitable course content that I'd like. Any suggestions??? Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!
    I'm applying for Birmingham (AAB for you with the science) and Nottingham I think (also AAB).
    I loved B'ham at the open day and the psychology talk was brilliant- they're third in the country for research after Oxbridge
    Nottingham also offer a Psychology & Cognitive Neuroscience degree, if you're interested.

Edit: Ah screw, you wanted ABBs oh well, I can't believe you're not applying to Birmingham!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.