Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Leeds is going to be my top choice I think, other than that - Warwick? Durham?

For your fifth choice, I'd honestly put down somewhere that you really want to go to or somewhere that you're not fussed about.

ReputationRep:
    Well, al momento I'm thinking about Durham or Hull, I guess I could sniff out Birmingham. I just don't know whether I should be risky or not. I already have two universities where I'd really really like to go to. One of which would serve as the insurance (Bangor) and the other as a firm (Glasgow). Glasgow rates as number 6 in the UK, higher than Durham and Birmingham. I really want to go to Scotland and it looks great (both course and location), so the fifth would serve as a buffer but not too much of a s*** uni to waste the place.

ReputationRep:
    TBH I don't see having a safe or lower uni as your fifth choice (or even a totally out of reach uni) a waste of a place, if you've already decided that you want to go to Glasgow or Bangor, and presumably you'd be happy with the other two uni's you've picked if they didn't give you offers.

ReputationRep:
    Then the argument could be that if my fifth were to just "fill the gap" with a lower uni and I'm pretty sure that if Glasgow and Newcastle were'nt to offer me a place then Aberdeen and Bangor sure would, why not go for B'ham or Durham??
    I'm getting the hang of this

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, filling the gap works both ways - Either aim really high and see if you get anything, or take it as another safe option. Depends whether you'd like to go to a 'higher' uni if you got the chance, or if you're happy having Bangor and wherever as your top!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.