Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Leeds is going to be my top choice I think, other than that - Warwick? Durham?

For your fifth choice, I'd honestly put down somewhere that you really want to go to or somewhere that you're not fussed about.

ReputationRep:
    Well, al momento I'm thinking about Durham or Hull, I guess I could sniff out Birmingham. I just don't know whether I should be risky or not. I already have two universities where I'd really really like to go to. One of which would serve as the insurance (Bangor) and the other as a firm (Glasgow). Glasgow rates as number 6 in the UK, higher than Durham and Birmingham. I really want to go to Scotland and it looks great (both course and location), so the fifth would serve as a buffer but not too much of a s*** uni to waste the place.

ReputationRep:
    TBH I don't see having a safe or lower uni as your fifth choice (or even a totally out of reach uni) a waste of a place, if you've already decided that you want to go to Glasgow or Bangor, and presumably you'd be happy with the other two uni's you've picked if they didn't give you offers.

ReputationRep:
    Then the argument could be that if my fifth were to just "fill the gap" with a lower uni and I'm pretty sure that if Glasgow and Newcastle were'nt to offer me a place then Aberdeen and Bangor sure would, why not go for B'ham or Durham??
    I'm getting the hang of this

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, filling the gap works both ways - Either aim really high and see if you get anything, or take it as another safe option. Depends whether you'd like to go to a 'higher' uni if you got the chance, or if you're happy having Bangor and wherever as your top!

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.