Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I got ABC at a-level and have just finished my first year at manchester uni. I want to get into investment banking and plan on doing a masters at a top 10 after I graduate.

I feel like with my a-levels I dont really have a chance, even if i get a first and a good masters. I feel I would have a much better choice if I got another a-level, and actually worked hard and got an A.

So.....is there anyway I could get an a-level in maths within a year? I already have as-level maths but only a C. Anyone got any advice?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you get a first and go on to a masters in a relevant area then I really don't think you need to.

That said if you can fit in around 150 hours of work plus some revision I think it would be perfectly doable.

Why did you only get C in AS maths?
    You could do the A2 exams in January and add them to your existing AS but I'd say getting an A that way would be very very difficult.

You could sit AS in units January under the new specifiucation with little more than some focused revision using past papers and then take your A2 units during the following January exams. I'd think you'd want to avoid May/June exams as there may be clashes with your degree efforts?

I'd recommend getting a distance learning package with some support for A2, I tried it with just text books and made no progress until I signed up with NEC. (http://www.nec.ac.uk/courses/product...tegory_id=3305)

ReputationRep:
    At my school, I wasn't allowed to do Maths wih the three sciences because of the way the columns were when I initially came to pick my subjects. So I didn't do Maths... but I have considered doing it at uni and then thought it might be a distraction, plus I've been wanting to get away from a-levels anyway...

Looks like were in the same boat...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    Why did you only get C in AS maths?
    Well for a start I didnt get on with the teacher, but I think thats a rubbish excuse. Honestly I didnt work hard enough.

Another option would be to resit some A2 history modules at my old school, and get my C up to an A I'm doing history with economics at uni so I reckon I could easily get an A, it just might be hard if the syllabus has changed since June 2008 with OCR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giorgio1712)
    Another option would be to resit some A2 history modules at my old school, and get my C up to an A I'm doing history with economics at uni so I reckon I could easily get an A, it just might be hard if the syllabus has changed since June 2008 with OCR?
    Sounds realistic. Last chance for A2 resits under the old specification is January 2010, call your old exams officer in Sept and see if they'll enter you.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I've just finished doing AS Biology alongside uni, while I was on placement four days a week. It was only one evening a week at a local college, although I did have to use lunch breaks to work on my coursework etc.
    I actually enjoyed doing it, learning something different exercised my brain a bit :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, thanks for the help, will probably do that. Got such an easy timetable this semester will have loads of time to revise!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.