Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I have just graduated with a 2.2 in psychology and was hoping to do my masters this year- but most MAs are looking 2.1s . My longterm goal is to become a neuropsychologist or something related, but i need to get onto a MA to rebuke my 2.2- but most MAs in Psychology are looking 2.1s- I find this bizzare!:mad::woo:
    Anyone been in the same position as me or give me advice on how i can go forward?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    I got a 2.2 aswell for Biomedical science but Im satisfied as I dont want to carry on with education, time for a job!

There maybe some places (rare) who'll take you in for an MA or else, I would think you can't actually do one.

ReputationRep:
    My impression of the postgrad system is that they discourage people from applying purely for the reason of rebuking their bad undergrad degree, which is why entry onto them is usually to the same standard as entry onto any graduate scheme.
    Not to mention that PG's are extremely hard work, that require great academic ability, so most uni's will expect a 2:1 as proof that you will be able to handle the coursework and understand the concepts covered.
    Also, from reading the Postgrad threads, it is also my understanding that an MA will not replace a poor performance in UG - employers will still refer to your UG result.

ReputationRep:
    I got offered places on both of the two masters courses I applied for, and I was on a low 2.2 level at the end of second year when I applied. The majority of unis do ask for a 2.1 for masters, but there are a few who will take people with a 2.2, even some in the top 10, so it is worth having a good look, and not giving up. It probably would have helped to have applied a bit sooner, as you are leaving it a bit last minute now for October start.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look round by all means, but you might also want to consider a graduate diploma for this year then re-applying for a masters next year?

ReputationRep:
    It's quite normal actually. The competition to get onto a post grad course in psychology is quite fierce. Asking for 2:1 is just a way of filtering, since they already have too many people with 2:1s applying...

ReputationRep:
    You have probably left it way to late this year regardless of your degree result. I would guess anywhere half decent for phycology is already full up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AATTMM)
    Have a look round by all means, but you might also want to consider a graduate diploma for this year then re-applying for a masters next year?
    Yup i am taking a year out ll! :eek3: i need a break, but am going to spend that year working productively getting experience in the field (most of it will be voluntary) and travelling for a bit!
    What is a graduate diploma? never heard of it before!
    Cheers Kels

ReputationRep:
    Well I got a 2.2 in archaeology and went on to study an MSc in water and environmental management.

I was accepted by Birmingham, Brighton, Salford and UCLan. (I did apply to every single institution offering the similar course....). That's the beauty of the MSc - there's no application limit!

Look at it this way if the courses are over-applied for you're going to have to show them a reason why they should pick you over a 2.1 graduate. A 2.2 is usually a sign of lack of commitment or personal conflict/problems (if you did work very hard and still got a 2.2 I would suggest a rethink about whether academia is really for you).

It's not impossible. You want to take a year out so you can easily get some work experience, even just voluntary social care work is probably good enough for psychology. (EDIT - actually I have no idea about this but you probably do)

Work experience is the key and a hell of a lot of charisma. GO TO EVERY SINGLE OPEN DAY. Speak to the course leaders and charm those boffins. They will remember you honestly. Do your research about the course be overly keen and geeky about the institution, they will lap it up.

Another tip, don't just send off the paper application and forget about it. Call up each and every university and ask the admissions people what they're looking for (you should do this NOW so that you can plan your work experience around what they say). After you've sent off the application nearer the time then ring up the course leader (after the open day) and speak to them about it. If you get your name and application in their faces then you're more likely to get in. Remember that you can be honest with these people they're going to know you got a 2.2 so no point hiding that, ask the admission staff how you can improve your application with this in mind.

Oh I did also have two VERY good references. (I had to ask them for so many copies as well!) When you do the work experience be as good as you possibly can so that you get good references. If you end up volunteering with difficult people (unlikely but you know for whatever reason) then switch so you can make sure you get a good reference. The references are really crucial.

ReputationRep:
    My friend got a 2.2 in geography and did a masters afterwards. even though they say 2.1, they might accept 2.2 if they like you at the interview.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, you can't really compare it with other courses. Like I said, psychology is very bottlenecked in the post-grad department. Getting onto a course usually requires a couple of years of graduate experience alone, AND a 2:1. Now, nothing is impossible (especially if you give a good impression), but just a fair warning that they're less likely to budge than other courses that demand a 2:1.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with cats, get as much work experience as you can and show enthusiasm and commitment by using every opportunity you have to go to open days and talk to the people in charge of the course. A lower grade just means you have you be a bit more creative, it's not the end of the world. It is possible to blag (for want of a better word) your way onto a course.

ReputationRep:
    Try Aberdeen, a very good University but which does accept 2.2's I believe.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    There are some universities you accept a 2:2 for some of their courses, especially if you have a lot of relevant experience.
    Contact some unis and ask if they would consider you, or what you could do to help your chances.
    How far away from a 2:1 were you?

ReputationRep:
    i know people who finished now and had a 2.2 degree and they will go for MA in university of Bristol and University of Manchester.... so send applications and i am sure that someone will take you..

good luck .. !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kels488)
    Hi!
    I have just graduated with a 2.2 in psychology and was hoping to do my masters this year- but most MAs are looking 2.1s . My longterm goal is to become a neuropsychologist or something related, but i need to get onto a MA to rebuke my 2.2- but most MAs in Psychology are looking 2.1s- I find this bizzare!:mad::woo:
    Anyone been in the same position as me or give me advice on how i can go forward?
    thanks
    Why did you get a 2.2?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you go abroad? In continental Europe, you'll have more chance to be accepted in a good uni, since they might not be too familiar with the grading system. In some countries there are even no grade requirements (Belgium,...)

ReputationRep:
    People take 2.2s far too bad on here!!
    It's not the end of the world!! Geez!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Why did you get a 2.2?
    That's what i was given! lol!:woo:!, but i was 1.5% away:eek:, i was also diagnosed with Dyslexia in April of this year, which i found a great weight lifted of my shoulders, and everything started to fall into place, had i had the help that i deserved i 100% feel that i could have got a 2.1!, and i wasn't that far off it either lol!:o:...but its going to be another struggle to get onto the MA, and even then i don't know if i can get onto the Doctorate in Psychology??:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kels488)
    That's what i was given! lol!:woo:!, but i was 1.5% away:eek:, i was also diagnosed with Dyslexia in April of this year, which i found a great weight lifted of my shoulders, and everything started to fall into place, had i had the help that i deserved i 100% feel that i could have got a 2.1!, and i wasn't that far off it either lol!:o:...but its going to be another struggle to get onto the MA, and even then i don't know if i can get onto the Doctorate in Psychology??:confused:
    If that's the case I would include a photocopy of the final mark breakdown in all your applications (some universities ask for this and some don't, but you may as well include it across the board). Apply everywhere.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.