Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I just phoned Royal Holloway founders reception (as recommended by their students union). This was because i had phoned the open day guy 3 days in a row only to be put to answer phone. The first 2 days I didn't leave a message, and today (the 3rd day) I left a message, and then i considered that because I had only got to voice mail 3 times in the past three days that the guy was on holiday or something. Which is why I rang the union who recommended I ring reception.

The problem is, as soon as I explained to the receptionist, she was almost shouting at me telling me to wait for a reply. I explained the logic that he seemed to be on holiday or whatever, and could I ask if she knew anything about confirmations, and she continued to shout at me and call me impatient.

I'm a really calm and patient/approachable person so I feel completely blown away, and slightly down/upset I've been shouted at like that. I feel really bad in fact. I don't know what I'm saying.... is that the norm for staff there? I know I don't want to tar everyone with the same brush but the union were a bit like that too

Ahhh can anyone tell me is this is what everyone is like and im quite worried about going there now

ReputationRep:
    Bump.. please.

ReputationRep:
    Aww sorry, don't let it put you off dear, you can understand what it must be like to answer the phone constantly. Dont let it get to you and certainly dont overanalyse it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karunesh)
    Aww sorry, don't let it put you off dear, you can understand what it must be like to answer the phone constantly. Dont let it get to you and certainly dont overanalyse it!
    Okies,

Yeh, I guess I just wasnt expecting a full on attack down the phone Oh well, indeed, I should see it like you have just explained. I wont let it put me off x

thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I have mixed opinions from my first year. Most of the staff seem friendly and have been able to help me, for instance, when their was a problem with my student loan going through the accommodation people were friendly are extended the deadline by a few days. On the other hand when I had some friends staying over one night security seemed determined to inconvenience us. This was at a busy time of year for Royal Holloway, like it is for them now, so basically the staff at Royal Holloway are human and she may have been in a bad mood, or you may just have been unlucky with who you talked too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodknight)
    Honestly, I have mixed opinions from my first year. Most of the staff seem friendly and have been able to help me, for instance, when their was a problem with my student loan going through the accommodation people were friendly are extended the deadline by a few days. On the other hand when I had some friends staying over one night security seemed determined to inconvenience us. This was at a busy time of year for Royal Holloway, like it is for them now, so basically the staff at Royal Holloway are human and she may have been in a bad mood, or you may just have been unlucky with who you talked too.
    thanks, I think I must have just taken it badly, and people are human as you said. The rest of the people sound alright as you described xx

ReputationRep:
    Don't be upset, you didn't do anything wrong!

Many universities employ temporary staff to deal with all the admissions queries etc over the summer - you could have just got hold of an angry temp, which of course may not be representative of the uni as a whole...

ReputationRep:
    You should come to queen mary, we've got a brilliant angry examinations officer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali_)
    Don't be upset, you didn't do anything wrong!

Many universities employ temporary staff to deal with all the admissions queries etc over the summer - you could have just got hold of an angry temp, which of course may not be representative of the uni as a whole...
    Ahh this may be it, because she sounded like she didn't have a clue too And I didn't really think of it like that! I didn't do anything wrong!

Thank-you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    You should come to queen mary, we've got a brilliant angry examinations officer.
    Urgh I mean it's hardly appropriate to be an angry exams officer is it? I mean regarding the fact that they are probably dealing with worried/anxious people!

and thanks great to hear from the coolest lesbian !

ReputationRep:
    complain!!
    anonymously..if you can..lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    Urgh I mean it's hardly appropriate to be an angry exams officer is it? I mean regarding the fact that they are probably dealing with worried/anxious people!

and thanks great to hear from the coolest lesbian !
    Lol, she's brilliant. Told us we weren't worthy of degrees from UoL because we couldn't follow basic instructions (we tried to leave when all the papers had been collected at the end of an exam )

And you're welcome sometimes you will find complete vultures and goblins working in universities, there's some horrid people xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    Lol, she's brilliant. Told us we weren't worthy of degrees from UoL because we couldn't follow basic instructions (we tried to leave when all the papers had been collected at the end of an exam )

And you're welcome sometimes you will find complete vultures and goblins working in universities, there's some horrid people xD
    Hahaha if you put it like that then it's a much more lighthearthed subject than I originally perceived it to be. And of course you're worth? What uni did they go to I wonder? Hmmmm?

x

ReputationRep:
    You have to admit though, that you are impatient - you bumped this thread before even an hour, let alone a day had gone by

ReputationRep:
    The guys at reception get a pretty tough time. A friend of mine works there and he is a really nice guy. You probably caught her on a bad moment.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bowdeni)
    The guys at reception get a pretty tough time. A friend of mine works there and he is a really nice guy. You probably caught her on a bad moment.

Kk that's good to know xx

ReputationRep:
    did she have a new zealand accent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    did she have a new zealand accent?
    I dont think so, if she did then it certainly wasnt obvious x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.