Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I stopped smoking a month ago, and this week started cycling along the canal for an hour a day (in the mornings).

I get up, have a wash and jump on my bike. I have food when I get back. I'm not overweight, but I'd like to tone my stomach. I know cycling won't do that alone, but I heard that its a really good cardio exercise. Because I work on a computer for 10 hours a day, cardio exercises are a must to keep the heart healthy.

But I'm puzzled about how I should eat. A lot of my money is tied up in other things, and I have a strict shopping budget. Currently these are the foods I am eating:

- Boiled Eggs
    - Toast
    - Marmite
    - Grilled Bacon (usually 1 medalion - the middle bit of back bacon with no fat)
    - Porridge
    - Sandwiches (ham, tuna, cheese)
    - Pot Noodle (no often)
    - Packet Noodles
    - Toast
    - Waffles
    - Chicken
    - Mince Meat
    - Vegtables (not eating as much as I should)

I could go on, I purposely missed out the snack foods, that I know are not good for you. I nibble biscuits throughout the day.

But, as long as I am exercising, and not eating *to much* of the bad foods, would it do me any hard? And can my fitness still improve?

Sorry for the long thread.

ReputationRep:
    fitness & health are different, maybe it's good genes but i've heard althletes of the past having bad diets,

try and find a way to buy more fruit & veg, less you'll be spending it later on doctor's bills, forgot we have nhs.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of energy nothing beats pasta. A cyclists food if there ever was one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramble)
    In terms of energy nothing beats pasta. A cyclists food if there ever was one.
    true story. I ride usually 1 or 2 hours a day and pasta is, in my experience, the best food for sustained energy. I'll usually eat something else right before the ride for a quick kick (fruit, some crackers and cheese, ect) but in terms of endurance, nothing beats pasta.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.