Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    That would be friggin awesome, actually. Just think... interference creates more and more CAKES.
    It would certainly convince me to go to more lectures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pulkpull)
    It would certainly convince me to go to more lectures
    Oh God yes. That said, I didn't find lectures useful during the entirety of my degree, and probably didn't learn a single thing from them. I learned everything from notes and books in my own time... Everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Oh God yes. That said, I didn't find lectures useful during the entirety of my degree, and probably didn't learn a single thing from them. I learned everything from notes and books in my own time... Everything.
    That's very reassuring. I attempted to do that for a couple of modules this year and found it much easier than trying to comprehend it from the lectures!

ReputationRep:
    That's very reassuring. I attempted to do that for a couple of modules this year and found it much easier than trying to comprehend it from the lectures!
    Did they tell you the infamous quote?

"The point of a lecture is to get the information from the lecturer's notes to the student's notes without passing through the brains of either." (or something :tongue:)

I still went to get the notes, but meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Did they tell you the infamous quote?

"The point of a lecture is to get the information from the lecturer's notes to the student's notes without passing through the brains of either." (or something :tongue:)

I still went to get the notes, but meh.
    Yes we did! I can't remember who said it though, it was sometime in the first term... Parry?

We had the privilege of a dyslexic friend who got the notes printed for him! Beautifully hand-written notes for all

ReputationRep:
    Yes we did! I can't remember who said it though, it was sometime in the first term... Parry?

We had the privilege of a dyslexic friend who got the notes printed for him! Beautifully hand-written notes for all
    :zomg: So unfair.

Sounds like the kind of joke Parry would make.

"The Mathematicians write it down!" [/welsh accent]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    That's what I've done for the last 2 years. Good to know it still works in third year Have you finished your degree then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suneilr)
    That's what I've done for the last 2 years. Good to know it still works in third year Have you finished your degree then?
    :yep:

One more time, just because I can and it's awesome...

I'm not leaving though, I'm just doing an MSc which will make use of the those dodgy white portacabins across from Blackett...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)

One more time, just because I can and it's awesome...

I'm not leaving though, I'm just doing an MSc which will make use of the those dodgy white portacabins across from Blackett...
    Ooh nice. What MSc are you doing? Or are you the general physics one? I never actually realised what those portacabins were for...

ReputationRep:
    Ooh nice. What MSc are you doing? Or are you the general physics one? I never actually realised what those portacabins were for...
    Environmental Technology (it's one of the least sciencey ones at Imperial ) And yeah, there are classrooms in them. It's a tad pathetic really, but there you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Environmental Technology (it's one of the least sciencey ones at Imperial ) And yeah, there are classrooms in them. It's a tad pathetic really, but there you go.
    Bah does that even count as science?:p:

ReputationRep:
    Bah does that even count as science?:p:
    Barely Law, economics, ecology, policy, statistics, pollution, forms of energy...

:coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Barely Law, economics, ecology, policy, statistics, pollution, forms of energy...

:coma:
    That sounds like so much fun....:no: :p:
    Why didn't you do something interesting ie real physics?:cool:

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like so much fun....:no: :p:
    Why didn't you do something interesting ie real physics?:cool:
    I'm now quite bored with physics and I don't want to go into physics as a career. It's dull, and the life of a researcher is not a good one. I want to do something useful with my life :tongue:

I really wish a life in physics were a decent one - I'd love to be able to have that life, it's really alluring, but physicists just aren't appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    I'm now quite bored with physics and I don't want to go into physics as a career. It's dull, and the life of a researcher is not a good one. I want to do something useful with my life :tongue:

I really wish a life in physics were a decent one - I'd love to be able to have that life, it's really alluring, but physicists just aren't appreciated.
    :eek: I don't think I could ever get bored of physics. Although I have decided to give up on theoretical physics for better career prospects

ReputationRep:
    :eek: I don't think I could ever get bored of physics. Although I have decided to give up on theoretical physics for better career prospects
    Really? I still find it really interesting, but somehow pointless. I know I'm not intelligent enough to grasp the concepts (or the maths) or the "understanding the nature of the universe" physics, but there seems to be a lot of really pointless rubbish. Maybe I'm just not suited to learning and more suited to researching (my 3rd year project was by far the highest mark I got in the degree :tongue:) A ladder leaning against a ladder slips; work out the horizontal component of the final velocity before it comes to rest. No thanks :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Really? I still find it really interesting, but somehow pointless. I know I'm not intelligent enough to grasp the concepts (or the maths) or the "understanding the nature of the universe" physics, but there seems to be a lot of really pointless rubbish. Maybe I'm just not suited to learning and more suited to researching (my 3rd year project was by far the highest mark I got in the degree :tongue:) A ladder leaning against a ladder slips; work out the horizontal component of the final velocity before it comes to rest. No thanks :tongue:
    Waahhhh I don't think I could ever find physics pointless. Well not unless it was all revealed to be a massive lie :rolleyes: Yeah the concepts and maths does seem quite hard but the whole "nature of the universe" stuff is what I'm really interested in. Maybe I've just watched too much sci-fi which has given me unrealistic expectations of physics:o:

What if the ladder was going to fall on you? It could save your life being able to calculate its horizontal velocity:p: Well probably not but the point still stands:p:

ReputationRep:
    Waahhhh I don't think I could ever find physics pointless. Well not unless it was all revealed to be a massive lie :rolleyes: Yeah the concepts and maths does seem quite hard but the whole "nature of the universe" stuff is what I'm really interested in. Maybe I've just watched too much sci-fi which has given me unrealistic expectations of physics:o:

What if the ladder was going to fall on you? It could save your life being able to calculate its horizontal velocity:p: Well probably not but the point still stands:p:
    All the sci fi I watched lead me to the horrible conclusion that real physics will never be as exciting as that. I'm extremely interested in the nature of the universe stuff, the "meaning of life stuff" (hope you get the reference :tongue:) I'm happy that I have the physics degree, I can read research and know that if I put my mind to it, I have a hope of understanding those advanced topics at some point in my life if I really want to.

I don't particularly care what electrons do in low temperature superconducting fluids in an oscillating magnetic whilst having Bach played at them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    All the sci fi I watched lead me to the horrible conclusion that real physics will never be as exciting as that. I'm extremely interested in the nature of the universe stuff, the "meaning of life stuff" (hope you get the reference :tongue:) I'm happy that I have the physics degree, I can read research and know that if I put my mind to it, I have a hope of understanding those advanced topics at some point in my life if I really want to.

I don't particularly care what electrons do in low temperature superconducting fluids in an oscillating magnetic whilst having Bach played at them.
    I came to the opposite conclusion somehow. I'm sure one day we'll discover hyperspace, wormholes and all the other cool sci-fi stuff Is that a reference to Stargate? It sounds like something from there but it's been a while since I watched it :dontknow:

I actually fins that kind of stuff quite interesting. Or I think I would if I knew enough about it to actually understand it

ReputationRep:
    I came to the opposite conclusion somehow. I'm sure one day we'll discover hyperspace, wormholes and all the other cool sci-fi stuff Is that a reference to Stargate? It sounds like something from there but it's been a while since I watched it :dontknow:

I actually fins that kind of stuff quite interesting. Or I think I would if I knew enough about it to actually understand it
    It is :yep: I'm such a geek (but geeks are cool so it's ok :ninja:)

I dunno, the prospect of discovering/inventing such things is really exciting, but none of it will be the work of a single person. That's not really how science works. Each research group makes their own little step forward and the chance of working on something truly ground breaking is slim. You won't be the person who discovers wormholes; you're more likely to be the person who confirms someone else's already well trodden observations of a small adjustment to some random theory. That's my view anyway.

I got sent a text the other day telling me that physicists have managed to split the electron. Naturally I was all "lolwutnowai" so I found the reference and the original paper in Science which the media had used to write their story. It's attached. From the abstract I know that the claim of "splitting the electron" isn't really accurate and it's mildly interesting, but I could read the whole thing, understand quite a lot of it in fairness, but still not care. I dunno; I hope I'm not putting you off :tongue:
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf 597.pdf (421.1 KB, 166 views)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 2, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.