Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    It is :yep: I'm such a geek (but geeks are cool so it's ok :ninja:)

I dunno, the prospect of discovering/inventing such things is really exciting, but none of it will be the work of a single person. That's not really how science works. Each research group makes their own little step forward and the chance of working on something truly ground breaking is slim. You won't be the person who discovers wormholes; you're more likely to be the person who confirms someone else's already well trodden observations of a small adjustment to some random theory. That's my view anyway.

I got sent a text the other day telling me that physicists have managed to split the electron. Naturally I was all "lolwutnowai" so I found the reference and the original paper in Science which the media had used to write their story. It's attached. From the abstract I know that the claim of "splitting the electron" isn't really accurate and it's mildly interesting, but I could read the whole thing, understand quite a lot of it in fairness, but still not care. I dunno; I hope I'm not putting you off :tongue:
    Stargate is awesome I'm quite sad they stopped Atlantis. I was quite getting into that. Hopefully Universe should be good...

Well I live in hope that one day the plans to build a working Stargate miraculously appear on my desk:cool:

Hmm that article is quite interesting. I can't say that I understand most of it, but I managed to pick out the general gist that some systems can have spin and charge propagating at different velocities. I don't really understand how that works though:confused: I'm sure someone will find some way of using this to create a new form of electronics that uses spin as well charge or some other kind of crazy technology. Like I said before I don't think I can be put off physics :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suneilr)
    Stargate is awesome I'm quite sad they stopped Atlantis. I was quite getting into that. Hopefully Universe should be good...

Well I live in hope that one day the plans to build a working Stargate miraculously appear on my desk:cool:

Hmm that article is quite interesting. I can't say that I understand most of it, but I managed to pick out the general gist that some systems can have spin and charge propagating at different velocities. I don't really understand how that works though:confused: I'm sure someone will find some way of using this to create a new form of electronics that uses spin as well charge or some other kind of crazy technology. Like I said before I don't think I can be put off physics :o:
    Well, I hope you can maintain your enthusiasm. The world needs more physicists like you, who actually care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Well, I hope you can maintain your enthusiasm. The world needs more physicists like you, who actually care
    It's not my enthusiasm that'll be the problem. I intend to work in the defence industry though so I doubt I'll be making much difference. Although hopefully I'll get to see/work on some amazing new technologies (ie Area 51 style:rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    It's not my enthusiasm that'll be the problem. I intend to work in the defence industry though so I doubt I'll be making much difference. Although hopefully I'll get to see/work on some amazing new technologies (ie Area 51 style:rolleyes: )
    Qinetiq, BAE, Detica etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Qinetiq, BAE, Detica etc?
    :yes: That's the plan anyway. Ultimately I'd love to have my own defence company. Apparently BAE made a net profit of £1.7 billion in 2008. I want that kind of money lol...

ReputationRep:
    :yes: That's the plan anyway. Ultimately I'd love to have my own defence company. Apparently BAE made a net profit of £1.7 billion in 2008. I want that kind of money lol...
    You have no ethical problems with your work being used to help kill people? It's a point worth considering, even if it does sound hippy. I would never work for MBDA, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    You have no ethical problems with your work being used to help kill people? It's a point worth considering, even if it does sound hippy. I would never work for MBDA, for example.
    I don't actually. The technology already exists. If I can create systems that will protect the UK/ our armed forces from danger I see that as a good thing. Also with missile technology if I can make it more accurate etc so that instead of accidently blowing up some school it hits the target it was actually aimed at, again I have no problem with that. It's not like the technologies are specifically being designed to target and kill as many innocent people as possible.

Sorry for the rant, it's just the number of times people have asked me whether I have a problem with creating weapons to kill innocent people is starting to frustrate me a little:o:

Besides most of the interesting ie advanced technologies are frequently developed within the military. I'd love to be working on some cutting edge technology even if I have to work for the military rather than work on some less interesting research elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually. The technology already exists. If I can create systems that will protect the UK/ our armed forces from danger I see that as a good thing. Also with missile technology if I can make it more accurate etc so that instead of accidently blowing up some school it hits the target it was actually aimed at, again I have no problem with that. It's not like the technologies are specifically being designed to target and kill as many innocent people as possible.

Sorry for the rant, it's just the number of times people have asked me whether I have a problem with creating weapons to kill innocent people is starting to frustrate me a little:o:

Besides most of the interesting ie advanced technologies are frequently developed within the military. I'd love to be working on some cutting edge technology even if I have to work for the military rather than work on some less interesting research elsewhere.
    Haha I wasn't trying to get you to reconsider your evil ways! It's possible they'd ask you that at interview, and it's important to make sure you don't go down the wrong path. Your reasons for going into it are perfectly valid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Haha I wasn't trying to get you to reconsider your evil ways! It's possible they'd ask you that at interview, and it's important to make sure you don't go down the wrong path. Your reasons for going into it are perfectly valid
    :hmmm: That's true. Yeah I'm pretty set on this as my career choice. Some of the technologies really are quite impressive. Qinetiq successfully demonstrated an automated landing system for STOVL fighter jets onto carriers which is quite amazing as it has to take into account the rolling motion of the ship etc.
    linky

ReputationRep:
    :hmmm: That's true. Yeah I'm pretty set on this as my career choice. Some of the technologies really are quite impressive. Qinetiq successfully demonstrated an automated landing system for STOVL fighter jets onto carriers which is quite amazing as it has to take into account the rolling motion of the ship etc.
    linky
    Wow very impressive. Good luck then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Wow very impressive. Good luck then!
    I was quite impressed when they showed that vid at the Qinetiq careers fair. Thanks

Oops I've just realised this is the second thread we've hijacked....

ReputationRep:

What if it's aimed at a school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TableChair)
    What if it's aimed at a school?
    I'm pretty sure that the UK and the countries we're allowed to sell weapons to, don't go about deliberately targeting schools unless they've got good reason.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that the UK and the countries we're allowed to sell weapons to, don't go about deliberately targeting schools unless they've got good reason.
    The UK probably don't, but we, as with most western countries, have a pretty dodgy history with regards to selling weapons.

ReputationRep:
    I was quite impressed when they showed that vid at the Qinetiq careers fair. Thanks

Oops I've just realised this is the second thread we've hijacked....
    Thread hijacking is the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TableChair)
    The UK probably don't, but we, as with most western countries, have a pretty dodgy history with regards to selling weapons.
    If we're already selling them weapons it doesn't really make a difference whether they have access to more accurate missiles. I honestly don't really have any ethical problems with working in the defence industry. This isn't some idealistic fantasy, but the real world where the defence industry , like it or not, does exist and is required.

ReputationRep:
    If we're already selling them weapons it doesn't really make a difference whether they have access to more accurate missiles. I honestly don't really have any ethical problems with working in the defence industry. This isn't some idealistic fantasy, but the real world where the defence industry , like it or not, does exist and is required.
    Apologies for opening this can of worms :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    Apologies for opening this can of worms :tongue:
    Hehe you are a troublemaker aren't you?:p:

ReputationRep:
    Hehe you are a troublemaker aren't you?:p:
    :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.