Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    last edited

ReputationRep:
    It is possible. There are not really any advantages if you dont like the course you can switch!

Basically it is sorted internally once you get there. Change between Universities is done through clearing. e.g. you can be released into clearing even if the university was your first choice.

It also depends what course you want to change to e.g to switch to a very popular subject may be difficult as they have no spare places for that year hence you will have to defer the year. You will also have to meet the grade requirements usually and have the compulsory subjects.

You can also change after a year or even two. Student finance has to be contacted to be aware of the course change and if you plan on doing additional years.

It is possible, not advisible unless you really dont like the course and quite difficult to sort all the admin out.

hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by python38)
    Is it possible to do so? If so, how, and what are the advantages and disadvantages?

(I'm only even applying to university this autumn, but I'm just curious, because I read on the Student Finance site it was possible to do so.)

Thanks.
    After accepting Natural Sciences at Nottingham as my firm I emailed them and changed it to Physics and Philosophy. Basically yes it is possible and i did it relatively easily.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to write in a posh accent on here, luvvy. We're all chavs at heart.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=python38]So, say one had finished the a three-year maths course (and decided they wanted to study a three-year law course instead); if they managed to apply to change their course successfully, would they have to start from the beginning of the course they wanted to switch to (if that makes sense)?
    QUOTE]

Basically no because you would have graduated or been in your final year. if you did not graduate then possibly yes but it is a waste of 3 years and they would be unlikely to veto the change.

You would also have to start law fron stratch unless you did a law conversion course which are 1 year I think however I know nothing about them.

Basically if you are to do Maths and you want to do law it will be hard to change because of the popularity of Law. But you a defer entry till next year. You could also do a year of maths and switch but you will pay 4 years loan for effectivly a 3 year degree.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=python38]
    (Original post by epoch)

Sorry, I typed it out wrong (I really need some sleep, lol). I meant, suppose one were just a few years through their maths course - but you've already answered that. So the only way one could change one's course and not have to pay extra loans is to change before starting it, and even then it might be hard to do so if one wanted to study a popular subject?
    Yes but if you get to you University of choice e.g for Maths and want to switch to law in your first week you may find its full.

If you don't do the year defer (in conversation with the University) you will not pay 3 years but they request you go through the UCAS process again

If you do a year in any subject you will have to pay it back regardless if you change course

edit Btw I have no idea why TSR is saying that is my post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by python38)
    So, say one had finished the a three-year maths course (and decided they wanted to study a three-year law course instead); if they managed to apply to change their course successfully, would they have to start from the beginning of the course they wanted to switch to (if that makes sense)?

My bad, I don't write like that on purpose. I'm just very fussy about grammar and so on, and I guess this affects the "tone" of my writing.
    Why would you restart if you finished the course. I'm lost sorry :confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.