Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey i was wondering if any of you guys had tried online dating? I want to try it but i'm slighty embarressed about it and i'm scared people who know me might see it. Is it worth just jumping in and giving it a go? Just because i'm not meeting people when i'm out anymore or getting dates. What are your experiences of it?

ReputationRep:
    Hey i have never done it and hey people i know that have are all rather old! I dunno maybe just me but have never come across someone young that goes on them.

ReputationRep:
    Name a place, time and ill be there...its a date!

I've done it a fair few times and it's definitely some of the best relationships I've had. The thing is, with online dating, you get to know their personality more because they're not actually there in front of you all the time. I would suggest meeting up with them before actually 'going out', though.

A lot of my friends add randomers on facebook which are quite close to where we live, and then when they're out they go and say hi to them. You already know a bit about them, so you have something to start talking to them about and you can make a great impression that way. Then shiz'll flow much easier.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, just i don't want people to think i'm weird if i do this, yet the same people moan at me for being single! it can't hurt to try i guess

ReputationRep:
    I've tried it and it was a disaster. I found I became far more fussy on dating sites, because on some of them you can do detailed searches where you choose people's ages, hair colour, height, interests, etc etc. Whereas out in the real world you meet people and then discover their interests and so on later on. I've also ended up getting lots of sick/disturbing messages from people, or people messaging me that are completely not my type. I've met one guy from a dating site and even that was a disaster.

ReputationRep:
    Well you don't have to tell people.

(Original post by SuicideCommando)
    I've done it a fair few times and it's definitely some of the best relationships I've had. The thing is, with online dating, you get to know their personality more because they're not actually there in front of you all the time. I would suggest meeting up with them before actually 'going out', though.

A lot of my friends add randomers on facebook which are quite close to where we live, and then when they're out they go and say hi to them. You already know a bit about them, so you have something to start talking to them about and you can make a great impression that way. Then shiz'll flow much easier.
    Wat dis foo sed.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think you are probably better off starting in other places first! Have you asked people if they have any friends they could introduce you to and things like that?
    Quite alot of the people on online dating sites are a bit dodgy and may not be looking for the same things as you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    Quite alot of the people on online dating sites are a bit dodgy and may not be looking for the same things as you.
    How on earth have you came to this conclusion? Theres no way you could substantiate it, that's just your personal opinion.

Op - If you're willing to give it a try, then by all means go for it.

To anyone saying online dating is full of 'dodgy' people, I think you're all way off. Its far far far easier to go to a bar and pull a load of drunk chicks then it is to spend literally weeks building up an online relationship with someone which then turns into real life meetings. TBH, I very much doubt its even worth the time of people only 'in it for one thing'.

ReputationRep:
    Well you'll only know if you try it so why not go for it. I'd say meet up with someone in person before you actually start "dating" though! And make sure you meet in a public place and all that

I haven't personally, but I wouldn't judge anyone who has as it's their choice and if they meet someone they really care for on there then good on them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.