Turn on thread page Beta

This generation in 30-40 years time watch

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a lot of threads on TSR about how people hate this generation and I agree.
    But besides discussing how we hate all the drinking and posing to look cool on facebook, fake tan and trying to act like the "bozo's" on TV who most people think are cool I was wondering what the effects of the media will have on this generation will be like when they're all 40 and 50 as I don't think the adults of the future will act like the adults of today because our lifestyles are different.
    Because the media have put a lot of emphasis on beauty and looking young/cool many women today think they need to wear a bucket of make up and guys need to have a sixpack to be attractive and happy in life. I can see looking into the future when all these people are 50 years old the girls are still going to be wearing mini skirts out in town with loads of make up and old men are going to be trying to chat up young women not realising that they don't have "it" anymore.

Also its likely that the youth of today will become depresed as I think that people care more about their looks these days and as they age they feel like they lost their "self worth". The fashion, beauty and media companies will just move on to targetting the youth of the future and forget about this generation and in order for all of the future adults to retain their self worth and be "cool" and young they will then copy the trends that are meant for the youth of the future which will probably then make that generation think that our generation are a bunch of idiots.

The things that young people do today are slowly become a way of life, not just a fad that wears off with age.

ReputationRep:
    The media has always put emphasis on beauty and looking good hasn't it?
    I think people will go on with their lives and everything will just be normal - because it will be just that, normal. What we're used to.

ReputationRep:
    No I think its steadily getting worse, you can see how more women dye their hair and put on more make up and in the future we are going to see 50 year old women in mini skirts and 50 year old men going to night clubs full of young people trying to fit in.

ReputationRep:
    This generation will die youngest, it's cool to get smashed every weekend. Loads of people are fat too.

At least we don't have to worry about the pension crisis.

ReputationRep:
    Well thanks, i feel much better about the future now!

ReputationRep:
    James Anderson got a 5er.

ReputationRep:
    No, medical research actually suggests that a higher percentage of people within our generation will actually live to be 120. Because of the improvements in healthcare we will not experience a higher rate of youth deaths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katieloula)
    No, medical research actually suggests that a higher percentage of people within our generation will actually live to be 120. Because of the improvements in healthcare we will not experience a higher rate of youth deaths.
    Isn't that the maximum that they think the human body can live for? It isn't likely everyone will reach that age because of lifestyles, diets and genes.

ReputationRep:
    People thought that the 60's generation would still be taking a load of mindbending drugs and wearing flowery clothes... it didn't happen.

People will get bored of the reality machine, the materialism etc and things will change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vilage_idoit)
    This generation will die youngest, it's cool to get smashed every weekend. Loads of people are fat too.

At least we don't have to worry about the pension crisis.
    I agree with this. I don't think we'll live as long as our parents and probably our grandparent's generation if we carry on the way we are. But then again, they didn't have some of the many adavnces in medicine we'll have.

ReputationRep:
    Rapping Grandpas.

ReputationRep:
    interesting topic, though no one has so far brought up the subject of old age pensioner stabbings. What? You think they'll stop? These idiots will still be carrying knives around at 40/50/60 years old, if theyve not been killed already. This country is falling so fast, its just going to get worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown?)
    Isn't that the maximum that they think the human body can live for? It isn't likely everyone will reach that age because of lifestyles, diets and genes.
    No, a friend who's a medical student told me this report was done and we'll see more people of this generation living to be 120 and older because of enhanced medicines/treatments etc.

ReputationRep:
    Living to 120 would be immense.

I'm thinking 70 would be a bonus tbh,

ReputationRep:
    Binge drinking, obesity, smoking, knife crime, STIs..... it's a wonder we've survived this long really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RezM)
    James Anderson got a 5er.
    Did you see Bopara's dropped catch though? Sigh.

Anyway, yeah there is more access to the idealised view of how people 'should' look, and so more influence, but there's also more obesity than ever in this generation. You're always going to get older women trying to act younger than they are and so applying too much make up - that happens now. But then again, you're always gonna get people who grow old gracefully. I don't think the former is going to be as prevalent as you say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wig)
    People thought that the 60's generation would still be taking a load of mindbending drugs and wearing flowery clothes... it didn't happen.

People will get bored of the reality machine, the materialism etc and things will change.
    I don't see the consumer lifestyle ending anytime soon I think its a way of life thats been building up slowly for decades whereas subcultures such as hippies may come and go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelephant)
    Binge drinking, obesity, smoking, knife crime, STIs..... it's a wonder we've survived this long really
    When has that not been the case?

P.S. Its annoying that every generation has a few idiots that think everything is getting worse.

most of the generation wont be alive by then :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Look at our parents generation and all the punk rockers they were and now look at them. I think we will be the same as them but with more tech knowledge and with much bigger issues to deal with. The majority mature like all generations have before them but with different things such as more beauty products.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.