Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    in the title. I read somewhere that a prolonged period of slow economic growth is worse than a big recession in the short term then a recovery.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomTeeTom)
    in the title. I read somewhere that a prolonged period of slow economic growth is worse than a big recession in the short term then a recovery.

Thanks
    This should be in the academic forum.

ReputationRep:
    with all those qualifications in economics could you answer it for me please

ReputationRep:
    with all those qualifications in economics could you answer it for me please
    no: you are in the wrong forum.

ReputationRep:
    What a horrible typo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    no: you are in the wrong forum.
    so you wont answer because im in the wrong forum. You are an ass

ReputationRep:
    Because in a recession, you have spare capacity available for demand management policies to kickstart the economy. Recessions are generally caused by lack of demand.

In a period of slow economic growth, consumers and businesses often believe the economy is in recession when in actual fact it's not (economics is as much about expectations as it is about what's happening in the present). So they will cut back spending, cut jobs, cut wages and any demand management policies will result in unsustainable short term growth. This becomes a self-fulfilling process, much like a wage-price spiral.

That's my theory anyway...

ReputationRep:
    hmmm not sure it is a bad thing certainly very rapid growth is unsustainable like the rise and fall of japan during the 90's. Steady low growth should encourage investment and then as an extention of this a continuation and increase in said growth. However extremely low growth is a bad thing as productivity increases by around 2% each year meaning that unemployment can increase leading to a contraction in the economy.

ReputationRep:
    so you wont answer because im in the wrong forum. You are an ass
    Sorry you feel like that. But what other incentives are there to encourage you to post in the correct forum?

I read somewhere that a prolonged period of slow economic growth is worse than a big recession in the short term then a recovery.
    Only the original source can say why they think that: we can only be 2nd best. However argument it was making could be:
    with 2nd option situation if LR growth is higher then GDP should soon overtake situation 1. e.g. (-2,+2,+2) results in a net increase of 4% whilst (+1,+1,+1) results in a net increase of 3%.
    i

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.