Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is this true? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letia)
    Is this true? x
    Generally yes, but are you applying to Oxbridge? If not, then it's best to get your application in just after the Oxbridge deadline (of mid-October). You didn't hear it from me, but certain departments at Durham have been known to reject people they think are dead certs for Oxbridge places :ninja:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Generally yes, but are you applying to Oxbridge? If not, then it's best to get your application in just after the Oxbridge deadline (of mid-October). You didn't hear it from me, but certain departments at Durham have been known to reject people they think are dead certs for Oxbridge places :ninja:.
    Why on earth would they want to do that? What a ridiculous thought!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sooz)
    Why on earth would they want to do that? What a ridiculous thought!
    My tutor at school was quite pally with someone in charge of admissions in a particular Durham department. He said that they prefer not to waste offers on candidates who are likely to get an offer from a higher ranking university...

ReputationRep:
    yes ive heard that too and it is true - and im not applying to oxbridge so do you think around 25th oct etc is best time to put application in? xxx

ReputationRep:
    My tutor at school was quite pally with someone in charge of admissions in a particular Durham department. He said that they prefer not to waste offers on candidates who are likely to get an offer from a higher ranking university...

That doesn't really make sense, surely those applying to Oxbridge have 75% chance of being rejected by Oxbridge. Why would Durham reject those 75% smart ones? Unless they know some trick or clue on the papers of those who'll be accepted in Oxbridge, then surely there's no way of guessing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    That doesn't really make sense, surely those applying to Oxbridge have 75% chance of being rejected by Oxbridge. Why would Durham reject those 75% smart ones? Unless they know some trick or clue on the papers of those who'll be accepted in Oxbridge, then surely there's no way of guessing.
    I'm referring to the Economics department at Durham, which is not massively well regarded - not just Oxbridge, but LSE, UCL, Warwick, Bristol and York are all a lot better than Durham in this area.

Someone with 10A*s, good AS levels and a strong PS is likely to get an offer from one of these places. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    no they like take ages deciding whether you may have applied to them and you chances of getting an offer from them..

well thats what i got told by school again i cant be sure as i dont work for durham.

ReputationRep:
    Applying early won't really help. Well, applying in October rather than the 15th Jan is good because some departments will make decisions before then - so you have more chance of getting into your preferred college - but loads of departments don't make any decisions until Jan/Feb/March (and often later than that), so applying very early won't make any difference.

About the Oxbridge thing - utter rubbish! I met people on the open days who had Oxbridge offers, had been rejected from Oxbridge, hadn't applied to Oxbridge. Anyone applying to Durham is likely to have applied to at least 3 other top 10 unis, so it makes absolutely no sense at all for any top university to reject applicants because they may possibly have applied to another good university.

ReputationRep:
    I'm referring to the Economics department at Durham, which is not massively well regarded - not just Oxbridge, but LSE, UCL, Warwick, Bristol and York are all a lot better than Durham in this area.

Someone with 10A*s, good AS levels and a strong PS is likely to get an offer from one of these places. :yes:
    When you say LIKELY, how likely exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SixthFormer08)
    When you say LIKELY, how likely exactly?
    For economics? Check out TAELTS and all the threads in the economics forum about top unis.

ReputationRep:
    Loggins, thou hast opened a huuuuuuuuuge can of worms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    About the Oxbridge thing - utter rubbish! I met people on the open days who had Oxbridge offers, had been rejected from Oxbridge, hadn't applied to Oxbridge. Anyone applying to Durham is likely to have applied to at least 3 other top 10 unis, so it makes absolutely no sense at all for any top university to reject applicants because they may possibly have applied to another good university.
    I didn't apply to any other top ten Universities :p:

Admissions tutors, all in all, are quite clever and they'll give offers to who they feel are the right people. If that person applied before the Oxbridge deadline, they'll still get an offer. It may come into consideration sometimes that it's best to give offers to those that want them and aren't using Durham as a backup or insurance, but that can often show through in a Personal Statement anyway.

I'm all for a lack of Oxbridge rejects, though, although they can't be too stuck up because after all, they were rejected

ReputationRep:
    I agree with everybody saying to apply after Oxbridge deadlines. Everybody I know who applied to both Oxbridge and Durham, myself included, got rejected. Second time round I put in my application in at the end of October and got my offer.

I'm not sure about how important an early application is though. Durham always seem to take a long time to get back to you with both my rejection and my acceptance offers coming in January some time. I know that they spend a lot of time going through applications in detail and base it on that rather than when you sent it, but as ever it's best to get it done early.

ReputationRep:
    Come off it, places like Durham and Warwick thrive on people who miss there firm oxbridge offers/ are rejected, there's no way they turn down people for being too good.

ReputationRep:
    This will certainly be the case for postgraduate students. The earlier they apply the better chance of getting into the college of choice

ReputationRep:

Someone with 10A*s, good AS levels and a strong PS is likely to get an offer from one of these places.
    york > durham? :eyebrow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geisskane)
    I agree with everybody saying to apply after Oxbridge deadlines. Everybody I know who applied to both Oxbridge and Durham, myself included, got rejected. Second time round I put in my application in at the end of October and got my offer.
    Strangely enough, i had the opposite. at least 10-15 people i know applied to both, got rejected by oxbridge and an offer from durham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geisskane)

I'm not sure about how important an early application is though. Durham always seem to take a long time to get back to you with both my rejection and my acceptance offers coming in January some time. I know that they spend a lot of time going through applications in detail and base it on that rather than when you sent it, but as ever it's best to get it done early.
    Everyone I know who applied to Durham and Oxbridge got accepted into Durham :p:

Seriously OP, don't worry about it!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anyone who applied to a top ten university. I guess that makes me a non-geek, a commoner, or both.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.