Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm interested in the reasons why future/ current applicants want to become either a solicitor or a barrister. I'm interested in Law and would like to see other reasons as to why you want to pursue a career in Law Thanks in advance.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    A lawyer is just the umbrella term for a solicitor or barrister. I want to be a solicitor because whilst I'm sure that I want to practise law I also know that the court environment wouldn't suit me. It's a really good idea to actually visit the courts so that you can see for yourself what it's like - I always thought that I would become a barrister but completely decided against that after having to sit through a judge's summing up lol.

Also I think that, on a practical level, becoming a barrister is also a lot more "difficult." Not because getting a training contract is necessarily easier, especially not at the top firms, but when you are actually working for a chambers, for the first few years work can be really difficult to come by. It takes a while to build up a reputation and clientelle and when you have the massive BVC fees to pay back I imagine that it could be quite stressful if you were only earning enough to cover your debts.

Commercial law really appeals to me because I'm interested in business, the work is challenging, it's rewarding and I think as a solicitor, generally, you get a lot more client contact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    A lawyer is just the umbrella term for a solicitor or barrister. I want to be a solicitor because whilst I'm sure that I want to practise law I also know that the court environment wouldn't suit me. It's a really good idea to actually visit the courts so that you can see for yourself what it's like - I always thought that I would become a barrister but completely decided against that after having to sit through a judge's summing up lol.

Also I think that, on a practical level, becoming a barrister is also a lot more "difficult." Not because getting a training contract is necessarily easier, especially not at the top firms, but when you are actually working for a chambers, for the first few years work can be really difficult to come by. It takes a while to build up a reputation and clientelle and when you have the massive BVC fees to pay back I imagine that it could be quite stressful if you were only earning enough to cover your debts.

Commercial law really appeals to me because I'm interested in business, the work is challenging, it's rewarding and I think as a solicitor, generally, you get a lot more client contact.
    Totally agree with that. Having completed a mini pupillage, which meant spending a very long day in a freezing court room at the County court outside London, I made up my mind once and for all
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by eve_22)
    Totally agree with that. Having completed a mini pupillage, which meant spending a very long day in a freezing court room at the County court outside London, I made up my mind once and for all
    Lol! Ouch, one of the judges fell asleep during a trial when I was at the Crown Court - if he found it dull I had no chance. :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by python38)
    I like the thought of the greater job security that comes with being a solicitor.
    I always thought this too, until we had the credit crunch and all the law firms made redundant quite a lot of their lawyers. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a single friend who did law that doesn't regret it (to the person thinking of applying).

I would never have the restraint in having to make immoral decisions. Seems it happens to a lawyer on an almost daily basis.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    :eek3:

Seriously, though... I wouldn't have thought the credit crunch affected the law industry (is that the term?) all that badly. I mean, it's not like finance, which was obviously directly affected. Do a lot of the people you know who are already lawyers (I'm guessing you're still at university?) say their firms are cutting back on staff, then?
    The corporate firms have been really badly hit; there's less M&A activity, less movement in the property market, less research and development within organisations. Businesses have basically stopped expanding and so nobody needs a corporate lawyer. The majority of the leading firms have laid off a number of lawyers and partners to cut back on overheads and the rest who have been lucky enough to keep their jobs have had to take voluntary pay cuts. It's tough for us Law students too because obviously the firms are taking on fewer trainees, last year quite a few had to take a year out and this year some firms (Eversheds for example) have stopped recruiting altogether.

ReputationRep:
    I really want to do law, particularly to become a barrister. I have no doubts personally, and appreciate it will be challenging and difficult the only thing is both my parents, solicitors, regret having done Law and are advising me to think of another career path.
    I still want to do law, but it does worry me that they are so anti it!! xx
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    I don't have a single friend who did law that doesn't regret it (to the person thinking of applying).

I would never have the restraint in having to make immoral decisions. Seems it happens to a lawyer on an almost daily basis.
    I study Law and really like it - so do most, if not all of my mates. Also, lawyers don't make immoral decisions. A lot of people criticise defence counsel for "getting rapists off the hook" et al, and it's not really like that. Their job is to present the evidence from another angle and to give effect to the defendant's right to a fair trial. If that person is then acquitted it's probably because he/she was never guilty in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    i want to do law because it just interests me, and i did work experience as part of the school scheme at a law firm and i really enjoyed the environment and the work and everything, i was thinking of being a barrister before that but then we went to court and the judge was going on and on and on, i nearly fell asleep, so no being a barrister for me
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wow, that must be annoying. I guess law is a fairly well-respected subject, though, so perhaps law students could get jobs in other industries if the firms aren't hiring as much...? Good luck, anyway. And thank you for telling me; I thought the law firms were pretty much unaffected by the credit crunch.

I don't know much about the different branches of law... is there any book/site you'd recommend I read besides the ones I already listed? -hopeful-
    Yeah I think the Law Society are campaigning for students to take that route. You can look here for a vague outline: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_areas_of_law and then maybe www.thelawyer.com for a more detailed perspective.

OP you have more than enough time to decide whether you would want to be a solicitor or a barrister.

For me it was a fairly easy decision, one that I made pretty much before I had even decided to apply for law because the whole culture and routine of barristers didn't really appeal to me.

Also, the Bar is very competitive and I still don't think it's an area I'd like to go into particularly because in a way it is easier to become a solicitor than a barrister in terms of the number of pupillages available vs the number of training contracts available.

ReputationRep:
    I did a law degree and was pretty set on being a solicitor until I did my work experience in my 2nd year of uni. I did 1 vacation placement, and 2 mini pupillages.. and the people I met were some of the most stuck up arrogant people I've EVER met in my life.

I decided that working in the legal profession was definitely NOT for me.. at first I thought it was just bad luck on the placement front but then I realised that I actually hated the way lawyers were and acted, I didn't want to become like them.

So now I'm doing a primary PGCE and I've never looked back!!

I wanted to make a difference and work with children, but now I'm doing the same thing.. just a different approach and I'm having much more fun doing it!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe someone on here could also suggest some good books one can read about Law?... I've heard "Understanding Law" and "What about Law" are meant to be very good.
    I read "letters to a law student" which made me decide that i definitely wanted to study law. It gives you an overview of some areas of law that you study and outlines the difference between becoming a barrister and solicitor. I recommend it to anyone wanting to read about law at uni

I want to become a barrister. I did a mock trial competition and loved it! Haven't experienced a full day in court though so that may change my mind slightly.

ReputationRep:
    -curious- How do people usually get experience in the courts? It sounds quite interesting (and thanks for the book suggestion, I'll definitely try to find it).
    Write to them/phone them, see if they take work experience placements? Also talk to a careers service if you have one local (we had one in school) they usually have pretty good contacts and can get you on the right track.
    Also talk to your family and friends, they might have a relation/ friend of the family who's a barrister, solicitor or something similar.

ReputationRep:
    -curious- How do people usually get experience in the courts? It sounds quite interesting (and thanks for the book suggestion, I'll definitely try to find it).
    If you're still at school and doing your GCSE's or A levels, check out Matrix Chambers, who offer work experience placements to those interested in a career in law. They are not recruiting at the moment, but will be opening their applications again for 2010, so keep checking back once in a while.

http://www.matrixlaw.co.uk/Opportuni...xperience.aspx

ReputationRep:
    i want to do law because i think my personality really fits into it..always questioning..continoulsy over analysisng everythign to the extent of which people get annoyed by me .....lol

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to become a barrister for the variety, excitement, and eventually (if all went well) more money. I think it'd be a fair bit more enjoyable too, but I've only done work experience with solicitors so I can't be sure.

Being a solicitor would offer more stability and assurance of income etc. That's all I know on this topic so far...

ReputationRep:
    I honestly have no idea why I chose Law - I just knew from a very young age that it was what I wanted to study. I've decided to become a solicitor because I prefer the research and reading and paperwork side of law - and, if I'm honest, the prospect of standing up in front of a judge and jury scares the living daylights out of me!!!
    I've chosen a Corporate/Commercial Route because I like its structure, the subject matter interests me, and I've always been interested in how the business world works!!! However, I'm hoping to get a Training Contract in a regional firm outside London, because I don't think I could hack life in a London MC firm, nor could I hack living in London for the rest of my life!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to study Law no doubt, but wether i become a Solicitor or a Barrister depends on my work experience Next week, i'm working at a top Leicester criminal solicitors, and i'm hoping to find a Chambers willing to take me on for a week sometime soon also. Depending on my experiences there i'll decide which route i wish to take. Then again i might not take either route and go into something else

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.