Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

General Cardio Routines? Watch

Hi Fitness Gurus!

I was wondering if someone could help me plan a decent cardio routine? I've been using the gym and going for a run for a while now, but I haven't really felt a difference.

But I think I may be doing it wrong, as I don't have a fitness plan or anything. I go in and just do a bit on one kit, and a bit on another. Like today, I went straight for the treadmill and I've done my leg in

So I was wondering, could someone share with me their routine or plan? I spend around ~2 hours a day or so (including gym and a run). I want to focus on my fitness, but it'll help if I had someone to follow.. (I'm on a balanced diet, so I think that's okay!)

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Hi Fitness Gurus!

I was wondering if someone could help me plan a decent cardio routine? I've been using the gym and going for a run for a while now, but I haven't really felt a difference.

But I think I may be doing it wrong, as I don't have a fitness plan or anything. I go in and just do a bit on one kit, and a bit on another. Like today, I went straight for the treadmill and I've done my leg in

So I was wondering, could someone share with me their routine or plan? I spend around ~2 hours a day or so (including gym and a run). I want to focus on my fitness, but it'll help if I had someone to follow.. (I'm on a balanced diet, so I think that's okay!)

Thanks!
    Whats your aim? 'fitness' covers a massive spectrum, and you can't have everything.

(Original post by yoshifumu)
    Whats your aim? 'fitness' covers a massive spectrum, and you can't have everything.
    I guess so

I don't want to tone (muscle wise), It's more aerobic workouts. :yes:

It's kind of hard to explain my aim/goal. As I'm not aiming for anything (in particular), but just a casual workout to keep in shape - if you get what I mean?

(I'm not explaining myself well am I? )

ReputationRep:
    I guess so

I don't want to tone (muscle wise), It's more aerobic workouts. :yes:

It's kind of hard to explain my aim/goal. As I'm not aiming for anything (in particular), but just a casual workout to keep in shape - if you get what I mean?

(I'm not explaining myself well am I? )
    lol no not good explanation.

do you want to lose weight (fat), gain muscle, become stronger, increase CV fitness, lung capacity, endurance, speed, agility, do you want to be able to jump higher? or further?...

You get the idea, saying 'keep in shape' isn't much of a goal. you can't train without improving something.

lol no not good explanation.

do you want to lose weight (fat), gain muscle, become stronger, increase CV fitness, lung capacity, endurance, speed, agility, do you want to be able to jump higher? or further?...

You get the idea, saying 'keep in shape' isn't much of a goal. you can't train without improving something.
    See, I'm not good at explaining LOL

From the list;
    1. Increase CV Fitness
    2. Lung Capacity
    3. Endurance
    4. Speed
    5. Agility

Those are most important. I'm not sure if they fit together, but I guess those would be my aims!

(Thanks for your help so far Btw! )

ReputationRep:
    What do you prefer, running or cycling? Or rowing or swimming?

ReputationRep:
    See, I'm not good at explaining LOL

From the list;
    1. Increase CV Fitness
    2. Lung Capacity
    3. Endurance
    4. Speed
    5. Agility

Those are most important. I'm not sure if they fit together, but I guess those would be my aims!

(Thanks for your help so far Btw! )
    Okay CV fitness itself is kinda general.

Lung capacity is easiest done by swimming, less you have access to a hypoxic tent/mountains.

agility and speed go hand in hand.

endurance and speed aren't too far off.

I think the biggest question would have to be. your looking for ground running i guess. so whats the ideal distance for you? do you wanna be a 10 second 100m runner, or a 3 hour marathoner?

Or any distance inbetween eg 400m, 1500 etc.

(Original post by Gazcobain)
    What do you prefer, running or cycling? Or rowing or swimming?
    I prefer swimming and running. (Gosh! I don't make things easy do I? )

Okay CV fitness itself is kinda general.

Lung capacity is easiest done by swimming, less you have access to a hypoxic tent/mountains.

agility and speed go hand in hand.

endurance and speed aren't too far off.

I think the biggest question would have to be. your looking for ground running i guess. so whats the ideal distance for you? do you wanna be a 10 second 100m runner, or a 3 hour marathoner?

Or any distance inbetween eg 400m, 1500 etc.
    I swim a lot. So I guess I could build on that? But I give up too easily - that's probably my downfall?

I'd like to be the 3 hour marathoner. Speed isn't much of an issue, it's more being able to keep going (endurance) and not giving in too easily?

ReputationRep:
    I swim a lot. So I guess I could build on that? But I give up too easily - that's probably my downfall?

I'd like to be the 3 hour marathoner. Speed isn't much of an issue, it's more being able to keep going (endurance) and not giving in too easily?
    half of thats will power, being able to break through the 'wall' kinda thing.

marathon running itself is EXTREMELY bad for your health. but training for it isn't too bad. (after the actual event can take over 2 weeks to recover, during the race you can lose up to an inch in height, and after those 2 weeks, your general fitness, is worse then it was the second before the race. also it's based on a greek myth of a soldier running a marathon to his general. the soldier died at the end of the run)

you'll do better to look at sites like runnersworld and that kinda thing, they have set programs and advice for this kinda thing.

ReputationRep:
    Here: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/defaul...ng.asp?sp=&v=3

As for lung capacity, a very basic route is to swim normally, for ages as always. and instead of taking a breath every 2-3 strokes, take one every 7-8 strokes. thats hypoxic training, the point being to use the oxygen of one breath for longer, forcing your body to have to take in more O2 in one breath to last the length. upping lung capacity.

ReputationRep:
    Do HIIT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Do HIIT.
    not for marathon distances :P

for speed/endurance/agility i would agree. dependent on the type of endurance.

ReputationRep:

marathon running itself is EXTREMELY bad for your health. but training for it isn't too bad. (after the actual event can take over 2 weeks to recover, during the race you can lose up to an inch in height, and after those 2 weeks, your general fitness, is worse then it was the second before the race.
    Got a source for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exppex)
    Got a source for that?
    lets see what google gets me.

i learn most of this stuff from my classes so can hardly source a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    not for marathon distances :P

for speed/endurance/agility i would agree. dependent on the type of endurance.
    Increase the intervals.

ReputationRep:
    1: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...thandwellbeing

2: heres a list from http://www.marathonguide.com/trainin...FromBoston.cfm of things to check for after a marathon to begin post marathon training:
    Colds
    Postmarathon Blues
    Delayed Onset Postexercise Muscle Soreness
    Blisters
    Morton's Neuroma
    Metatarsalgia
    Metatarsal Stress Fractures
    Plantar Fasciitis
    Achilles Tendinitis
    Anterior Tibial Stress Syndrome
    Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome
    Iliotibial Band Friction Syndrome
    Patellofemoral Syndrome
    Patellar Tendinitis
    admittedly some of those are quite minor.

Other than that, the main idea i have is that you quickly lose glycogen stores in a marathon, an start eating away at your fat supplies and muscle supplies. since most marathoners aren't actually fat, the fat supplies can run low quickly, and muscles are used more. as a result your muscles start to waste away in the race, and when you come out the otherside, you've lost muscle mass, and your fitness level, is much lower than prerace because of it. you then recover, but the muscles never come back through recovery, you have to go through a couple more months of proper training to regain those.

Do HIIT.
    Thanks I'll look into that

ReputationRep:
    Increase the intervals.
    The distances ran would have to be over a few miles, and the recovery barely more than 30 seconds. the number of sets would only have to be about 3-4 if that as well. i know it's possible and has been done, but i don't like very long distance HIIT, i think you could just run continuously and it'd give practically the same benefits.

Here: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/defaul...ng.asp?sp=&v=3

As for lung capacity, a very basic route is to swim normally, for ages as always. and instead of taking a breath every 2-3 strokes, take one every 7-8 strokes. thats hypoxic training, the point being to use the oxygen of one breath for longer, forcing your body to have to take in more O2 in one breath to last the length. upping lung capacity.
    Brilliant! I'll be sure to check that out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.