Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    probably middle class because i went to a private school and live in a middle class area plus mum was a lawyer and dad owns a company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Working class. I was born into it :dontknow:
    Doesn't mean you're shackled forever to it though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    Would you really want to be middle class though? Or just have the status and trappings that go with it?

Well I don't really care about the status and such, I just hold middle class values moreso than working class.

ReputationRep:
    my parents fit into the upper middle class bracket, but they don't live the stereotypical life of that class, they have lots of savings and shop at aldi

Erm, i'm not really that middle class and i'm definitely not upper class ... err, i guess in the future i'd be "intelligensia" ? :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MazMaz)
    my parents fit into the upper middle class bracket, but they don't live the stereotypical life of that class, they have lots of savings and shop at aldi
    So they're the stereotypical miserly rich people, who have a lot of money but choose not to spend it?

I don't-class is largely redundant imo, but for the purpose of the thread we'll say it exists. Just interested in what reasons people give.
    Ok, fair enough, but it just grates me how newspapers such as the Daily Express or Mail still uses the class system to describe people, but then again both of those newspapers aren't even worth reading.

ReputationRep:
    I know my place.

Nah, probably lower middle.

ReputationRep:
    Working class, because I get lots of free money for university! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't mean you're shackled forever to it though
    I know, I just answered the questions you posed .

ReputationRep:
    Working-class by birth -- parents own small café together, earning approx. minimum wage, though I did go to a moderately performing private school at their own expense (well, a state school first, then two private schools and a state college :curious:).
    Probably middle-class de facto -- studying classics at a Russell Group university and aim to have a professional career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicola.kemp)
    Well I don't really care about the status and such, I just hold middle class values moreso than working class.
    Define "middle class values".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    Why do we still judge people the same way the victorians judged people? I have friends who are considered coming from a "working class" background and friends who are "middle class" and also a couple of mates who are "upper class".
    It's not judging, its just categorising

I don't really know what the criteria are, but probably upper middle class :s

ReputationRep:
    So they're the stereotypical miserly rich people, who have a lot of money but choose not to spend it?
    no, they've saved for their own future, mine and my brothers. they don't have a LOT of money, they're not premiership footballers or anything! just sensible.
    they prefer to spend money on things that really matter.

ReputationRep:
    Financially: working class. Culturally: middle-class.

ReputationRep:
    I think im working due to my upbringing, my mum and her partners income and the fact that I live in a council house.

ReputationRep:
    Where did you get this stereotype from?

Perhaps they have everything they need/want and therefor have no need to spend a lot of money. There is no reason why, just because a person is well off, they should spend £100 on their weekly shop instead of £50 (for example)

ReputationRep:
    I find the notion of class abhorrent in this modern age.

ReputationRep:
    Middle class for sure. Went to a state school, my family's never had money problems but at the same time didn't have loads of cash to splash about, got through uni with some financial help from parents so I escaped with a much smaller debt than some students.

The class lines have definitely faded these days, but it's still there. I don't see why some people find the idea of class so offensive.

ReputationRep:
    working class because of my parents jobs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.