Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Middle class. Everyone in my family has gone to university, usually to post-graduate level, above-average income, middle-class location, etc.

ReputationRep:
    i fink im middle class, cos i cant be workin class, me mam dont work and me dad dont eiva so we cant be workin class can we

jk
    i'm probably working class

ReputationRep:
    I really wish I could say Middle Class like the majority but I'm Upper-Middle Class. My family is made up of rich corrupt chiefs back home in Nigeria

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    I'm working class, maybe even 'underclass'. I have manual-work parents and am comprehensive-school educated. Raised on council estates I own no property and am not likely to. I have my 'dinner' around noon, not 'lunch', and I have my 'tea' when I get home from work, not 'dinner'. I typically have 'jobs' rather than a 'career' and have on occasion benefitted from the minimum wage. I don't place value on having possessions or social status through careers or other symbols of 'achievement' but instead value family, friends, good food and good conversation (yeah, what am I doing here, right? lol ). My only obvious middle-class-ish vice is that I enjoy a glass of wine now and again. I only have a 'telephone voice' when I'm working, so people don't get confused by my Geordie accent.
    That's working class, not 'underclass'! Underclass generally refers to the kind of dole scroungers who've never worked a day in their lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    Why???
    Because it divides society and places unnecessary and harmful restrictions and limitations upon people. Britain is one of the worst countries in the world for upholding the notion of class. It appalls me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Because it divides society and places unnecessary and harmful restrictions and limitations upon people. Britain is one of the worst countries in the world for upholding the notion of class. It appalls me.
    Personally, I think it does none of these things. Anyone can be anything in todays world, a casual branding will do very little.

ReputationRep:
    I am from the underclass because I was born near a slum in the third world.

But now I am middle class because of my income and because of the universiversity I attend.

Also, I have mastered the art of saying 'how do you do'.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Middle Class starts at £33k a year. My Family makes WAY WAY WAY less then that. But my mother always had a way of stretching money. So i never felt poor after year 9. I guess you can call my mentality middle class. But I'm actually working class.

ReputationRep:
    my mum & dad don't/can't work unfortunately (personal story) so I'm basically a peasant who lives off all your moneyz bwahaha.

Working. Dad's a taxi driver; Mum's a nurse.

ReputationRep:
    Lower middle class because of private education & how much my parents earn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    Over the years I've noticed a general difference with weddings - working-class weddings tend have a buffet afterwards, middle-class weddings tend to have a 'sit-down' meal. That's a generalisation of course but I think it's not a bad one. Middle-class people are less likely to have takeaway food like fish and chips as a regular part of their diet (unless they're still students maybe). Working-class people are more likely to go to the corner shop in their slippers, lol

in that case my family are the exact definition of working class,. tbh ive done that whole slippers thing but to a lecture and not even realised i was wearing pajama bottoms with sheep on them, slippers but a normal t-shirt (i was running really late that day so just grabbed my bag and ran out without looking at the mirror. had lots of lecture that day so was on campus around 5 hours that day aswell as a society meeting. Fun times

ReputationRep:
    Probably middle-class. Don't really know what that is precisely, but my family and I have lived a comfortable life, with a few luxuries here and there.
    Such are my standards, probably because I know all too much about the lifestyles of ultra high net worth individuals, I find middle-class at the bottom. I definately aspire to be in the upper of the upper-class, I think I'd be disappointed in life if I don't reach such financial status.

ReputationRep:
    working class with middle class values

ReputationRep:
    Probs lower middle class :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Working class because I work as does my mother and we're socially linked in the working class and economically would be deemed such.

ReputationRep:
    Evidence suggests I am a part of the elite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicola.kemp)
    Well.

As I'm at University then I should be seen as 'middle class' however, there is a lot of people going to University these days and therefore this may not be true as their are grants and things for working class families to go.

I was brought up by a working class family so I could be seen as working class aswell.

Overall, it depends on how you see class. For me I think your social class should be seen threw which values you hold, working class or middle class etc...I believe I have more of a middle class mentality to see myself as middle class. However if you look at how much im earning and my background then I'd have to percieve myself as working class.
    Going to university does not make you middle class, it is based on job.

It depends, jay, I mean I live with my parents so maybe middle class as they are both company directors, however, my own job is working class :/. I've never thought about it tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I was part of an underclass family until I was 16-year-old; my mother (single parent family) moved off benefits, and became lower working class (cleaner). She is now moving towards, or may already be working class (carer for young disabled people). My sister is working class too (hairdresser).

What Olivia_Lightbulb and the rest of her white-knight brigade fail to realise is that class based limitations work for and against people. Instead of expectation I am burdened by shame. It is a frame of reference constantly driving me to succeed. The sense of self-satisfaction I gain when I surpass those who come from better background is... :o:

And you have the nerve to say it appals you? Please - you have no idea what you are talking about. Take your distorted sense of morality and stew in your own mediocrity.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Middle class. Not sure whereabouts in this large and diverse class but probably in the middle. Definitely not lower.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.