Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Middle Middle class?

ReputationRep:
    Bohemian~. Educated but impoverished, ha.
    Failing that, lower middle, but I don't think we have enough money.

Both my parents are artisans, my dad is an eco green oak carpenter from a working class background, over the years has lived in all manner of strange places such as squats and buses, but now owns a lucrative business. My mum is an artist from a rural background, grew up on a very poor farm but has a first in Medieval history. My step dad is also an artist, an autodidactic working class, and spent most of his life travelling in Europe and South America. I've lived in 9 different houses in the last 10 years.

I basically hope to carry on the way they have; get my degree and experience life, travel about and live within my means. I'm not excited by nouveau riche materialism nor settling down in a semi-detached.

ReputationRep:
    Ummm, I would guess somewhere in the middle classes.

I certainly don't see myself as working class, although I consider my father's side of the family to be towards there.

I mean, we have a fairly large 4-bed house, with just the three of us, my mother went to Uni and earns a fairly sizeable salary. We have a couple of nice cars/motorbikes/quad bikes and a boat. My dad runs his own business selling organic baby clothes, and I want to work as a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty typically middle class. Possibly upper middle class? Divorced parents, both tax advisors, have always lived in quite big houses, go to an all-girls grammar, go on holiday every year, etc. My parents had to work really hard to get to where they are, and I appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Wc

ReputationRep:
    upper upper class because my father works in dubai and he is a petroleum engineer for ADNOC. and my mom is a Civil Engineer who is also in Dubai... they are seperated but we get 75% of my dad's salary.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'm higher than I am, put it that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staygoldd)
    Bohemian~. Educated but impoverished, ha.

Quite noble IMO. But sad;ly you'll get looked down on by people more stupid and uncultured than you.

ReputationRep:
    If you go by the traditional sentiment that it's based on your father's job then I'm probably lower middle class, the generation before me in the famiy worked their way from manual jobs to more professional jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Upper middle-class according to my friends because my parents earn enough to afford luxury cars, holidays and homes. However, I think segregation due to social hierarchy is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FAILINGKID)
    upper upper class because my father works in dubai and he is a petroleum engineer for ADNOC. and my mom is a Civil Engineer who is also in Dubai... they are seperated but we get 75% of my dad's salary.
    Nah, that's still doesn't qualify for upper class. Upper class would be like the Rothschilds or Warburtons.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say we're middle class. The last 2/3 generations of my family have mostly had an university education, and we're financially well off.

But my grandparents are, maybe, middle/upper class, so my parents are set to inherit country estates and the like, so who knows?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FAILINGKID)
    Class isn't based on salary alone. :rolleyes:

It's not supposed to meritocratic, foo'.

ReputationRep:
    I am probably working class but anyone who thinks about it too much has too much time on their hands. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Lower middle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    Class isn't based on salary alone. :rolleyes:

It's not supposed to meritocratic, foo'.
    what else?? i don't work and we are all educated

ReputationRep:
    middle class - because i dont own a horse...

ReputationRep:
    Hm, my father is middle class, but he and my mom are divorced. I was raised with him though until I was4 so I talk VERY properly, which is awkward since I attend a state school in a technically "deprived" area. My friends where dad lives consider me working class when I am not in London with them, but my friends in the Midlands consider me middle class. I live in an ex-coincil house though! Lol, I think the "class" system needs a rethink. My step-mom's family all wanted me to be a debutante! Eek! It all sounded ghastly.

ReputationRep:
    Taking into account the definitions someone posted earlier, I'd say upper middle class. My parents own and run two successful businesses, both have an excellent education, my older brothers all went to top private schools either in the UK or the US*, all of my brothers have gone to university and both of my parents come from already wealthy families.

*I don't go to private school, but that's because I go to an academically selective college prep school which is publicly funded, and it's just as good as [if not better than] most private schools. People tend to [wrongly] assume my parents are treating me differently to my brothers by not sending me to private school, but that's not the case, as they applied for my brothers to go to the school I go to, but none of them 'made the cut', so they sent them to private school instead. It's one of those schools that many middle class/upper middle class parents try to get their children into, to try and avoid paying fees, but if their child doesn't get in then they'll go private!

ReputationRep:
    third class of the fourth class

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.