Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staygoldd)
    Bohemian~. Educated but impoverished, ha.
    Failing that, lower middle, but I don't think we have enough money.

Both my parents are artisans, my dad is an eco green oak carpenter from a working class background, over the years has lived in all manner of strange places such as squats and buses, but now owns a lucrative business. My mum is an artist from a rural background, grew up on a very poor farm but has a first in Medieval history. My step dad is also an artist, an autodidactic working class, and spent most of his life travelling in Europe and South America. I've lived in 9 different houses in the last 10 years.

I basically hope to carry on the way they have; get my degree and experience life, travel about and live within my means. I'm not excited by nouveau riche materialism nor settling down in a semi-detached.
    I hear you there. I've never aspired to make a lot of money, just to live a life I'll enjoy. When my parents encouraged me to go to university it wasn't for the sake of a highly paid job, but a greater choice and better opportunities than they had.

To answer the O.P. I'd say lower middle. My parents have good jobs that they both enjoy (my dad's a paramedic, my mum owns her own small business,) I'd say we were comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    upper working class..because im black and my family are not drug dealers lol..

ReputationRep:
    KawaSaki

ReputationRep:
    Well I used to be middle class when I lived at home but now I guess after uni I'm working class. How ironic!? I think I'll be working class for another few years as I'll probably either have to work my way up, start at the bottom or else go back to uni and try to change my useless degree into something that I can do something with.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say lower middle class. My dad is a college lecturer and my grandpa worked for DEFRA etc, but my mum's side of the family comes from a farming background in Dorset, and she works in a nursery, only earns about £10,000 a year. My dad went to university, but (and I mean this as no insult to current students) it was only Aberyswyth, and my mum left school before her finishing her exams when her dad died (but she's gained other qualifications since, through work). I went to a fairly average comprehensive school and then a fairly average college (the closest sixth form school is in Sherborne, about five miles away, which would mean bus journeys and it isn't even that good anyway). I'm one of four children, and growing up, my parents were pretty hard up for cash (thank **** for Child Benefit), and I'd say that it's only been since my brothers and my sister moved out/went to university etc, that we've been able to afford more stuff. I've been working since I turned 16. We've only ever been on one holiday abroad as a family, I've been on a couple with friends since but only through saving up money from my job and whilst I'd say we have a nice house with nice things in it (HDTV + Xbox = :coma:), I wouldn't say that my parents are able to "splash out" on things on a whim, and big purchases such as a new car are few and far between, and require a lot of thinking about, financially.

Naturally, my parents' combined earnings were literally only just over the threshold for EMA, so whilst some of my friends were getting £30 per week handed to them for alcohol and ****, I had to work for it instead, on top of four A levels, because funnily enough, being "middle class" doesn't necessarily mean that your parents can afford to give you what the government won't. Ho hum.

ReputationRep:
    Working class. I watch and play football all the time.

ReputationRep:
    The lowest. The underclass, lower than unskilled manual, social class G, social class D, the bottom one, the one CONSUMING ALL YOUR TAX MONEY BAHAHAHA.

Give me a few years bro. :lttd:

ReputationRep:
    Middle class, but my family background is working class. My step-dad owns two small businesses, and my mum works for the government (she works for scambusters, all you Thick of It fans ((but she didn't get the reference))) in a middling position. We live in a nice house, in a fairly nice area and I went to private school - both of them grew up in very working class areas, and left school at 16.

ReputationRep:
    Working class, cos my parents work. duh?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I would say working class, but my dad doesn't work. Nor does he collect any benefits. We have a nice house in a decent area, never been short of money, and I went to a state school.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steeler4life)
    Well, I would say working class, but my dad doesn't work. Nor does he collect any benefits. We have a nice house in a decent area, never been short of money, and I went to a state school.
    :confused:
    Wheres this income coming from then, eh? :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin J)
    Wheres this income coming from then, eh? :hmmm:
    My dad gets his pension. He gets too much to get any benefits. He's only been out of work since december though. My mum works, but doesn't earn much.

ReputationRep:
    Middle class
    +Privately Educated
    +Teacher and Accountant parents
    +Nice House
    +Brother at uni
    Do holidays and such count in this too ?
    We're clearly not upper class because we dont have 'land' and ponies. heh

ReputationRep:
    I am now upper class after i beat the last middle class boss and leveled up :yy: I would give you the cheat so you dont have to fight him but i dont want to coz i am posh now innit <(*@*)>

ReputationRep:
    My mum and dad are working class but i would consider myself lower middle class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    I'm working class, maybe even 'underclass'. I have manual-work parents and am comprehensive-school educated. Raised on council estates I own no property and am not likely to. I have my 'dinner' around noon, not 'lunch', and I have my 'tea' when I get home from work, not 'dinner'. I typically have 'jobs' rather than a 'career' and have on occasion benefitted from the minimum wage. I don't place value on having possessions or social status through careers or other symbols of 'achievement' but instead value family, friends, good food and good conversation (yeah, what am I doing here, right? lol ). My only obvious middle-class-ish vice is that I enjoy a glass of wine now and again. I only have a 'telephone voice' when I'm working, so people don't get confused by my Geordie accent.
    You're proper working class by the sounds of that. The underclass is something different, and is not a synonym for working class. I don't really care for possessions these days and I only want my first car to be a Lotus because it's a good way to prevent others from crashing into you because of the insurance premiums. That said, I used to drink port but don't these days. I tend to drink ale now.

I consider myself as classless. I am not economically productive, and whilst there need not be a strict relation with income to class, I am a student and not a rich businessman living off profits and interest. Not sure what's confusing about a Geordie accent, you should see how people talk in Durham. It's a bit different to Sunderland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    Quite noble IMO. But sad;ly you'll get looked down on by people more stupid and uncultured than you.
    Then so be it

ReputationRep:
    My parents are working class and the rest of my family are middle class. I would call myself upper working class? (judging by education level, area of the country etc)

ReputationRep:
    Ruling class.

ReputationRep:
    satisfied class.

because i have enough - haven't got the best, but is better than most of the world.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.