Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Upper class. Family, childhood experiences and what my folks do for a living (though my parents' jobs would probably fall under upper-middle class).

ReputationRep:
    Middle class, probably. My family has two cars, I'm going to university, I eat hummus...I don't get this class thing really

ReputationRep:
    I'm most certainly a aristocrat being of the same blood as Cleopatra.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say I'm working class, because I was born into a working class family.
    I will always consider myself working class, even though I have a bachelor's degree and I am currently studying for a PhD.

ReputationRep:
    Middle class I guess, my parents don't earn much but they're well educated and both come from fairly rich families.

ReputationRep:
    I think probably middle class but I'm not really sure. I'm privately educated and my family is by no means rolling in money but I guess we're pretty well off.

ReputationRep:
    Working class and i'm happy with the way I am mum works long hours and so do me and my siblings sure i'm going to uni in sep but gunna have to bust my back to raise the funds but i'd rather work for it then ave it handed to me on a plate.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it traditionally that the working classes did laborious jobs, such as in a factory, middle class people did intellectual jobs, doctor, engineer, accountant and such, and upper class did no work at all, but simply inherited all their money?

ReputationRep:
    Underclass
    I grew up in a council flat

ReputationRep:
    I think in contemporary society it's pretty hard to judge 'class' really... There are so many factors that are not as often relatable as they were say 200 years ago.

I'm not sure where I fit... My great-grandmother was in 'who's who' (a horribly elitist book of posh people). 21 of my mothers 23 cousins achieved firsts at university and a lot of them went to oxbridge and are in what are considered quite 'high powered' jobs.

BUT I had a state school education, my mum quit her job as a bank manager to become a childminder so that she could be a stay-at-home mum and we don't live in a 'posh' area (lincolnshire). Oh and we're pretty left-wing.

Probably lower-middle class? :confused:

EDIT: Maybe a poll might be useful if you're really interested in finding out?

ReputationRep:
    NONE.
    I'm a student and I don't wish to categorise and limit myself to a social class. Thanks.

***** please.

ReputationRep:
    Upper middle class, because of my dad's salary.

ReputationRep:
    The awesome class :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Haven't got a clue; couldn't give a toss because I'm not self-concious of what class others perceive me to be.

ReputationRep:
    Lower-middle class (I think)

ReputationRep:
    Upper Working Class, as my mum is a midwife in the times when you didn't need to go to univeristy, hopefully with my degree i can work my way up the ranks, but i'm not massivly bothered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodo XD)
    Filthy rich, because i live in dubai.
    Well, that would be no 'class' then.

ReputationRep:
    We debated this in Sociology a few weeks ago, and according to the Government I fall into the 'lower middle class' because my mum is a teacher, my dad is an IT manager and we have an above average household income. To be considered as the 'upper middle class' your parents have to be in jobs such as a lawyer, doctor etc. If I was to judge what class I was myself, I'd probably agree with the above because both of my parents went to uni and we've always led a stable, 'middle class' life.

ReputationRep:
    i think middle, but i love jeremy kyle so i assume working class?

ReputationRep:
    Lower middle class, my parents have good jobs which enables us to go to nice restaurants, have a nice house go on quite expensive holidays and buy what I want BUT if they stopped working we wouldnt be able to do that

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.