Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Parents believe Student Finance is a Government Conspiracy, little help? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I went through the whole Student Finance application and that all went smoothly. I got to the bit about applying for more money based on household income (i.e. means tested) and they said they'd send my parents a form each to fill in with their income details so they could work out how much I'd be eligible for. Pretty simple so far.

So my parents got these forms the other day, read them through and said to me that they refused to fill them in and send their income details to the Goverment (who obviously don't already have them to ensure all is correct regarding tax and child benefits etc etc.). Thats roughly £1000 a year's grant I'm missing out on. Regardless of that, there's no changing their minds on it now, but there's still the issue of my Student Finance application. I can't change it so that I am no longer applying for means tested support. Will them not recieving any income information mean they just give me the non-means tested stuff and forget about the rest, or do I need to take further action, and if so, what?

Sorry about the long ramble, I need to get this sorted ASAP 'cos my course starts in 4 weeks.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    All support is means tested I thought?

ReputationRep:
    Speak to your parents - sorry, they're being stupid. The Government have all this information anyway.

(Why they therefore need a form filled in is beyond me, though)

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I can suggest is seriously kicking off with them. Unless they are committing benefit fraud I don't see the problem. I had means tested and a £1200 grant, your parents wont fill in a couple of forms for you to have free money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DexterFTW)
    Right, so I went through the whole Student Finance application and that all went smoothly. I got to the bit about applying for more money based on household income (i.e. means tested) and they said they'd send my parents a form each to fill in with their income details so they could work out how much I'd be eligible for. Pretty simple so far.

So my parents got these forms the other day, read them through and said to me that they refused to fill them in and send their income details to the Goverment (who obviously don't already have them to ensure all is correct regarding tax and child benefits etc etc.). Thats roughly £1000 a year's grant I'm missing out on. Regardless of that, there's no changing their minds on it now, but there's still the issue of my Student Finance application. I can't change it so that I am no longer applying for means tested support. Will them not recieving any income information mean they just give me the non-means tested stuff and forget about the rest, or do I need to take further action, and if so, what?

Sorry about the long ramble, I need to get this sorted ASAP 'cos my course starts in 4 weeks.

Cheers
    I'm not entirely sure what the deadline is, but if you don't send in your info by then, I'm pretty sure that you don't receive means tested.
    Have you explained to your parents the fact that they already have their income information and such? I'd phone student finance, and ask them to talk to your parents for you, because quite honestly they sound insane. If they're unhappy to do it still, you need to reiterate to them quite how much money is it that you'll lose out on, and how much of an effect it'll have on you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicola.kemp)
    All support is means tested I thought?
    No. There's two types of student finance, one which is means tested, and the other isn't. The one that isn't means that everyone will receive that same amount, but the means tested one tops it up, so to speak, which gives you your bursaries and things

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I've bargained with them, and they've said that they'd prefer to give me the cash straight up themselves rather than go through the forms and stuff. It probably wont be as much as I'd get in the grant but it'd probably do, they said they might match my total earnings from work this summer. The main issue is, if necessary, letting Student Finance know I'm no longer applying for means tested, beacuse they've done the accounts in a really crappy way, it's like if I've got an issue they don't want to know. W*nkers. Anyway, cheers for your help so far guys.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.