Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official 2009 Results Day Vomit Inducing Countdown Thread (20th August) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Anywho...is anyone else sad enough to have a spreadsheet up with RAW/UMS marks and whatnot? :ninja:
    I never thought of that, its a really good idea! I may just do that to hopefully ease my mind a little...or it may worry me even more

ReputationRep:
    I'm going camping at V this year (which starts on 21st August) and in order to get there I need to pass my driving test. I'm away for a few weeks over the summer, so the only time I could book it for was 19th August. :eek3:

On the day before results day, I doubt I will even be capable of forming coherent sentences, let alone pass a driving test. How much am I looking forward to two consecutive failures?! Bad times!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    I'm off on holiday to Egypt for two weeks, which leaves less than three weeks worth of worrying to catch up on for when I get back.

I keep thinking that we'll have to go back to school in September. How great is it to have the whole of September off?

Anywho...is anyone else sad enough to have a spreadsheet up with RAW/UMS marks and whatnot? :ninja:
    Already done weeks ago my friend, but only for the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    I feel sick :puke:

(Original post by Zygroth)
    :curious: So...You get annoyed when people aiming high are disappointed? If everyone had your attitude we'd still be sleeping in caves foraging for berries.
    Hardly.
    I'm aiming high myself; so I don't think you know all that much about my attitude. I believe people should have a little perspective and don't shoot themselves down when they at least got the GRADE they wanted.

Especially at A2 level, where once you have the grade you don't really need as many points as possible to make the next level easier, like AS.

ReputationRep:
    :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

That is all :|

(Original post by Simplicity)
    People who aren't going to look on track are idiots.
    Agreed.

The too common 'I'm scared to check I want to be with my friends' excuse is pathetic, stupid and loses you valuable time in which to consider your situation and options.

(Original post by Zay18)
    i am definitely not going to log into track. I wouldnt want to see that i havent got in to my firm or insurance and then go to college to see how terrible my results are. :eek3:
    Oh, and going to college and finding out you're not going to uni there is much better. Yes, yes, those smart kids will check track and gather documents and telephone numbers and prepare what they're going to say to admissions, but you know better.

ReputationRep:
    5 weeks to go!

ReputationRep:
    It's not hard to gather all the relevant documents and phone numbers before collecting your results, say the night before? Ditto for preparing a pleading speech to the admissions people. Really, the bottom line is that it's a personal choice that has no bearing on others who are getting results..

(Original post by Sports Racer)
    Agreed.

The too common 'I'm scared to check I want to be with my friends' excuse is pathetic, stupid and loses you valuable time in which to consider your situation and options.

Oh, and going to college and finding out you're not going to uni there is much better. Yes, yes, those smart kids will check track and gather documents and telephone numbers and prepare what they're going to say to admissions, but you know better.
    Why are you being so harsh about it?

It's personal choice, and I'd imagine a lot of people saying it here are pretty sure they got into their firm/insurance but just would like the happy surprise of seeing their results on paper, rather than hunched over a computer screen at half 7/8 in the morning.

And people can prepare without looking at track; it's not the law that if you don't check it before that you cannot get hold of admissions numbers or get your offer letters ready...That can be done and taken to school with you.

EDIT: And you could also prepare what to say to admissions MORE once you have your module results to hand and could tell them how close/far away from certain grades you were. All that track gives you is a slight upper hand in that you MIGHT know if your firm or insurance has updated and accepted/rejected you.

Some universities take longer to decide if your grades weren't quite right...and therefore seeing track in the morning wouldn't make much difference in that instance.

In reality you don't know what your options are until you know what grades you have, and track doesn't tell you that.

ReputationRep:
    :hello: I've failed. :yes::yes:

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh getting worried about them now, I definitely know I've missed one grade but still hope I'll be able to persuade! hopefully. Does anyone know how to get the exact numbers to phone up on the day, I've got the undergraduate admissions officers one, do you guys think that'll be okay!? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    I've failed
    But, what about your superior white genes.

(Original post by Jennymoroney)
    Does anyone know how to get the exact numbers to phone up on the day, I've got the undergraduate admissions officers one, do you guys think that'll be okay!? Thank you.
    Yeah, I think I might get my maths teacher to email them or something to say I have not as good grades because, blah. Saying that I think I have made offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    But, what about your superior white genes.
    Oh shut up. I have never anywhere posted that I think whites are superior to anyone else. And I'd give you £50 if you could find one (as long as it's serious). :rolleyes:

Zygroth you actually negged me after YOU insulted me, haha excellent.

I shan't waste energy doing it back.

ReputationRep:
    5 weeks to go. Joyous!

ReputationRep:
    5 weeks. Can't decide if that seems long or short

(Original post by scaryhair)
    I know what you mean :\ 'cos the last 4 weeks since exams has gone quite fast but it's still toooo long!

(Original post by Alexandra1234567)
    Tell me, why are you defending a bad decision? I cannot think of a situation where withdrawing such important information can be a good thing. You're going to go on Track eventually, so why delay it? I actually do not understand why people would choose not to.

'You can prepare without Track! You can prepare without Track!' If you know you got into where you wanted you don't have to prepare. Preparation isn't just phone numbers either, it's significantly to do with the initial shock/disappointment. There was a room at my school where people sat after they got bad results. They stayed silent for at least half an hour. They should've been ready to hit the phones at 9am. Also, there was a long queue for advice from the UCAS coordinator. If you know already you can have a chat with him by coming into school a bit early.

With regards to the 'happy surprise'. Results day is usually seen as a day of surprises, yes, but it's really to do with worries, uncertainty and confusion. Decide for yourself, which scenario is better to be in:

1. Go to school and do clerical checks on UMS marks. The marks suggest you got a place. Go on Track to confirm.

2. Log into Track in the morning and experience an intense wave of joy as you read the words, 'Congratulations! Your place at X has been confirmed!'. You go into school pondering how high your grades actually are, knowing that there won't be any nasty surprises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    OHMYBISCUITS :eek: 5 WEEKS :eek: IS LIKE :eek3: TOMORROW :eek3:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.