Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official 2009 Results Day Vomit Inducing Countdown Thread (20th August) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why parents punish their children for getting bad results. It just baffles me really and puts unnecessary pressure on students to get the results they really want. My parents just tell me to try my best and if I don't get the results I want, it's not the end of the world. END OF THE WORLD being the key phrase.

I thought I failed all my AS English exams last year as I didn't really revise as much as I could have done and I felt some of my English exams didn't go that well. I was pleasantly surprised on results day when I seen I got AAC.

In subjects I thought I did OK in (Drama theory exams) I was surprised to see I didn't do as well as I thought I did.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats the case with me - i tend to slightly overestimate how well i've done in exams i found ok, and slightly underestimate how well i did in exams i found crappy. Granted this is not always the case as there are some exams I think I've failed, and results day just proves how bad they are. :p:

ReputationRep:
    The only Results Day dream I've had so far didn't involve me getting my results, since I dreamt I had turned up an hour late at my old school, not at my college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zay18)
    Don't you mean 34 days?
    I actually meant 24 days until I can sign up to the service that will send me some of my results.

ReputationRep:
    lol I haven't even had any results day dreams which probably means I'm not thinking about it much. TBH some exams were terrible, but I've accepted it now that i can't do anything so i might as well just enjoy the summer :yep:

ReputationRep:
    33 days

ReputationRep:
    I keep thinking that I haven't got the AAA that I need for Newcastle. I don't think this thread is helping, just making me more panicked

ReputationRep:
    i had a dream and i had received a C in a physics

ReputationRep:
    I forgot I even sat a levels lol! So far this summers been fab, havent been thinking of results etc.

ReputationRep:
    Got quite a hectic weekend planned with some mates so hopefully that will take my mind off exam results for the moment. Scaryhair, I feel the exact same way; i need AAAC for Barts, just not too sure if I've done that. I fear I may end up with AABB, which whilst good will probably result in me not being accepted even with lower grades. I need to get ready to beg hard on the 20th. :sigh:

Of course, I hope I'm wrong and I end up meeting my offer by some miracle. Think I need to go to church to pray ALOT more often now - I'm thinking everyday now! :p:

ReputationRep:
    33 days?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daveywavey)
    I don't get why parents punish their children for getting bad results.
    Two words: Asian parents.

ReputationRep:
    is there any way we can find out what the grade boundaries are for OCR chemistry (UC, trends and patterns and transition elements) before the results are released?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deipnosophist123)
    Two words: Asian parents.
    :rofl: :rofl: not only in Asian Families. It happens in some African families as well. Though this is a typical example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkN9VdjgDwM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02mik_e)
    :rofl: :rofl: not only in Asian Families. It happens in some African families as well. Though this is a typical example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkN9VdjgDwM
    :rofl: the joke is there are families like that.

(Original post by phoenix90)
    Who here feels like they set their standards too high last year with AS results and now anything below (for example) 95% is considered unacceptable to their parents and requires a punishment?
    On my results day I got a B in RS. Although I had met my offer, I still wanted a remark. It was only 1 UMS off an A. Furthermore, if by some bizarre occurence the remark gives me 0, I still would be ok with my offer.

My parents were so against the idea, despite the fact that it was impossible to lose the offer. 'Don't tempt fate' and 'Don't fix what isn't broken' they said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02mik_e)
    :rofl:
    So true! Its funny how people forget that some African parents can be as pushy! Thankfully mine aren't too bad. :woo:

Son to African parent: I really found the [insert name of subject] paper hard; I think I may end up with a B overall. *ducks as he prepares to get some dirty African slap*

African parent to son:
    So long as you've done your best, I'm still proud of you! *puts on a fake smile*

What they really mean: Boy, you better get those damn A grades and get into uni, or I'm disowning you! [Insert African relatives name]'s son went to [insert name of prestigious uni] to study [insert name of prestigious course]. I need you to do just as well, if not better, so I can brag about you at family reunions!

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    :rofl:
    So true! Its funny how people forget that some African parents can be as pushy! Thankfully mine aren't too bad. :woo:

Son to African parent: I really found the [insert name of subject] paper hard; I think I may end up with a B overall. *ducks as he prepares to get some dirty African slap*

African parent to son:
    So long as you've done your best, I'm still proud of you! *puts on a fake smile*

What they really mean: Boy, you better get those damn A grades and get into uni, or I'm disowning you! [Insert African relatives name]'s son went to [insert name of prestigious uni] to study [insert name of prestigious course]. I need you to do just as well, if not better, so I can brag about you at family reunions!

:p:
    haha so very true. In some extreme cases (some of my friends) they've been sent back to the home land

ReputationRep:
    I had a dream that I was worrying about my GCSE papers... Yeah, I am currently waiting for my A2... *rolls eyes*

Weirdly I had the papers for some of the GCSE papers in my living room and I was correcting them, and an invigilator was there and I asked her why they didn't collect it in and she said because the yoghurt would go bad.............

Yeah, probably a premonition or summink :p:

No but really, results come out a day before my 18th birthday... I really just want to make everyone I love proud, I really hope I can you know

I read this whole thread and I was just thinking..wooww....can't wait to find out what the hell happened in them exams ¬_¬ loool

ReputationRep:
    This thread and all threads like this should be banned. As a study shows that looking at this thread will slow down time making the wait longer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.