Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Official 2009 Results Day Vomit Inducing Countdown Thread (20th August) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fran Katzenjammer)
    Does anyone else have an insurance which isn't lower than their firm?
    Mine are both ABB, but that's because my firm was almost Exeter (AAA), and my insurance ABB. I didn't have offers which were any lower than that!

Both my Firm and Insurance want AAB.
    When i did this, i just thought "Warwick or Nothing!", the closer it gets to Results Day, the more i am beginning to regret it.

Fingers Crossed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachxl)
    I keep going back to the same question on my M1 exam that I know I royally mucked up- for sure. It was a 5 marker, and it's really getting to me now. I'll be so annoyed if that costs me a grade
    5 marks aren't going to cost you a grade. for Edexcel M1 (old spec) you could drop 10 marks and still be within a good chance of getting an A; the A boundary usually fell between 50-56 UMS, so in fact you could drop 15 UMS and still get an A.
    How else did you think people went in to maths exams knowing they had an A?

(Original post by Jack Sparrow)
    You have to love the modular system. Get four high A's then relax and get what? C's and E's and walk out with a grade A.
    Get 96 UMS average in 5 modules and you needn't even bother with the sixth module.
    I have a friend who didn't need any UMS from C4 to get an A in maths, argh!

ReputationRep:
    Even though it was tied with French for my easiest exam (although there was no oral so probably easier) I keep worrying about my maths. See, my problem with maths has always been, while I can do the hard stuff with ease, basic addition/subtraction, etc.? Crap. The amount of times I've got the bulk of a question right but lost marks because I can't add 5 and 7 properly or something...

Thank god for follow-through marks, but still, the closer to results day the more nervous I get... :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theciz)
    Even though it was tied with French for my easiest exam (although there was no oral so probably easier) I keep worrying about my maths. See, my problem with maths has always been, while I can do the hard stuff with ease, basic addition/subtraction, etc.? Crap. The amount of times I've got the bulk of a question right but lost marks because I can't add 5 and 7 properly or something...

Thank god for follow-through marks, but still, the closer to results day the more nervous I get... :woo:
    Hence why I use a calculator for every calculation, with common sense applied in case I type it wrong :p:

Our maths teacher tried to get us to do mental arithmetic using fractions in some of our mocks. Quite stupid considering we have calculators

ReputationRep:

lol im the same- i can do all the complicated things easily, but then i go and mess it all up by not being able to add up- i was sure id done that in my C2 exam, when i was talking about the answers with one of my friends and i realised that 180-35 isn't 155.... luckily it turned out i remembered my answer wrong, and after checking the answers on here found i got it right after all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Hence why I use a calculator for every calculation, with common sense applied in case I type it wrong :p:

Our maths teacher tried to get us to do mental arithmetic using fractions in some of our mocks. Quite stupid considering we have calculators
    Yeah, but C1 is a non-calculator paper, so I still get screwed over. That and I stupidly tell myself, "Oh, I can add 4 and 5 by myself, that's easy!" Maybe mathematical arrogance is my problem.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but C1 is a non-calculator paper, so I still get screwed over. That and I stupidly tell myself, "Oh, I can add 4 and 5 by myself, that's easy!" Maybe mathematical arrogance is my problem.
    lol, ok.
    But don't worry too much about it. As mentioned you can still get an A even without sitting 1 module, so as long as you get a nice B/C you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    anyone worried about physics edexcel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    5 marks aren't going to cost you a grade. for Edexcel M1 (old spec) you could drop 10 marks and still be within a good chance of getting an A; the A boundary usually fell between 50-56 UMS, so in fact you could drop 15 UMS and still get an A.
    How else did you think people went in to maths exams knowing they had an A?

Get 96 UMS average in 5 modules and you needn't even bother with the sixth module.
    I have a friend who didn't need any UMS from C4 to get an A in maths, argh!
    Theres some funny specs out there. For my ICT unit 3 and unit 4 were courseworks worth 120UMS. Which is 240 UMS get full marks in both of them like me your sorted. Get 90 90 in two modules like me. The other two are a doddle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jerzydee)
    anyone worried about physics edexcel
    The new syllabus or the old one? Are you referring to the normal Edexcel sylabus or the Salters Horners one?

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or is time going reeealllllllyyyy slowly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fweefwee)
    I think it's going along quite well, it'll really drag in the last 2 weeks or so though.

ReputationRep:
    Time is going reeealllllllyyyy slowly :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    One has to wonder really why it is that we worry. I mean, it's pointless to worry because we can't chnage anything (usually worry comes from e.g. waiting for an exam and knowing you have to do well)
    I think, me personally, that i'm confusing worry with general anxiety and fear of humiliation?

ReputationRep:
    Ohh I think I maybe away for the 27th. I need my Maths results.. Buggger

ReputationRep:
    One has to wonder really why it is that we worry. I mean, it's pointless to worry because we can't chnage anything (usually worry comes from e.g. waiting for an exam and knowing you have to do well)
    I think, me personally, that i'm confusing worry with general anxiety and fear of humiliation?
    I think it's because a lot depends on what our results are. Plus the fear of failing and disappointing myself, my family, friends, teachers...I worked so so so hard for these and it'd be devastating and plain embarassing if I don't get what I need :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I'm just hoping that whatever I get is respectable enough for resits not needing to be taken. That would be the humiltiation and failure for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OL1V3R)
    The new syllabus or the old one? Are you referring to the normal Edexcel sylabus or the Salters Horners one?
    the old one

ReputationRep:
    i successfully manange to completely forget about results until monday when i suddenly realised it was a month till we got them. cue mad panic going over all the things i may have possibly got wrong in the exams. less than a month now tho...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomBres)
    Both my Firm and Insurance want AAB.
    When i did this, i just thought "Warwick or Nothing!", the closer it gets to Results Day, the more i am beginning to regret it.

Fingers Crossed.
    I'm exactly in the same mind frame. It's Warwick or nothing. Anyway good luck with the results, We could be in the same lectures in september :yes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.