Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have found it really hard to deal with results day this year. i am borderline in chemsitry and i need it to get into medical school. im praying for low grade boundaries in edexcel chem because if they aren't low i will feel absolutely devasted and humiliated that i've missed my only offer and will have no idea how to get an offer again - i really don't want to go down grad entry and the thought of having to resit the chem synoptic in jan 2010 makes my stomach turn

ReputationRep:
    the night before results day is always the worst, in march, i had loads of dreams of me getting pretty much every combination of grades possible. One of the dreams was true..but the C grade was in the wrong subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kc91)
    i have found it really hard to deal with results day this year. i am borderline in chemsitry and i need it to get into medical school. im praying for low grade boundaries in edexcel chem because if they aren't low i will feel absolutely devasted and humiliated that i've missed my only offer and will have no idea how to get an offer again - i really don't want to go down grad entry and the thought of having to resit the chem synoptic in jan 2010 makes my stomach turn
    I feel the same with chem...the exam for AQA was really basic, however i spent too long on some q's and made so many stupid little mistakes that i should have easily got. It was all down to me not reading questions properly, and starting the answer before i've actually read the question. really annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kc91)
    Omadays. :zomg:

EXACTLY the same feelings as me - feel so boderline at the moment! Same subject! Same exam board! Same reason i need the A! Only got the one offer too! Weird! And I don't want to resit at all!
    :s:

[Damn, I love my exclamation marks!]
    :ninja:

What really takes the piss is that the synoptic wasn't too bad, neither was the practical, so I'm scared boundaries will be super high for unit 6 meaning i miss out on my offer (God forbid). I really wish I'd resat some AS modules to pull them up to 95%+ because now I'm bricking it for the other units.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Omadays. :zomg:

EXACTLY the same feelings as me - feel so boderline at the moment! Same subject! Same exam board! Same reason i need the A! Only got the one offer too! Weird! And I don't want to resit at all!
    :s:

[Damn, I love my exclamation marks!]
    :ninja:

What really takes the piss is that the synoptic wasn't too bad, neither was the practical, so I'm scared boundaries will be super high for unit 6 meaning i miss out on my offer (God forbid). I really wish I'd resat some AS modules to pull them up to 95%+ because now I'm bricking it for the other units.
    how weird is that! after all the effort we put in to getting into med school it will be such a disaster if we fall down at the final hurdle and this is what is causing me so much anxiety. i really do not want to have to resit and reapply. i agree with you in that the synoptic was ok but i know ive made so many stupid mistakes and picked the wrong questions. i did 3 and 4 and half way through 4 i realised that i'd picked the wrong one but it was too late to go back and do 2. i keep replaying it in my head which isn't helping either!

ReputationRep:
    the other thing that is really getting to me at the moment is that i keep calculating what i need to get in every module in chem to get the grade - i do it everyday before i go to sleep - it's like some sort of ritual and i cant stop it

ReputationRep:
    ^^^I do that do...i had the past papers, and calculated my score..its horrible, especially when I calculated for chem one mark off an A, assuming 80% is an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kc91)
    how weird is that? after all the effort we put in to getting into med school it will be such a disaster if we fall down at the final hurdle and this is what is causing me so much anxiety. i really do not want to have to resit and reapply. i agree with you in that the synoptic was ok but i know ive made so many stupid mistakes and picked the wrong questions. i did 3 and 4 and half way through 4 i realised that i'd picked the wrong one but it was too late to go back and do 2. i keep replaying it in my head which isn't helping either!
    I did 3&4 too - but unlike you i thought 4 was easier than 3, so i wished I'd done 2 and 4. 2 was so misleading; i looked at it, and thought it had the longer questions so I'd ignore it. Really shouldn't have done that because after thinking it through i actually thought it was the easiest of the questions - so many one markers i could have got right. Unit 5 was also insane, as was my unit 3 resit. :o: Who would have thought an A2 practical and synoptic paper would be easier than an AS practical and a random paper on tests for gases or whatever? :zomg:

Oh well. We can't live in the past. Low/normal grade boundaries and I should be fine, anything thats super high and now I'm screwed.

Hope we both meet our offers - and somehow make it into med school this year. Barts only started asking for AAA+ this year so I'm hoping they'll be a little bit more lenient on results day should i fall short by a few UMS. :yep:

I've been doing the module things too
    I have a table of various combinations for several grades...It's sort of comforting but also worrying haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kc91)
    the other thing that is really getting to me at the moment is that i keep calculating what i need to get in every module in chem to get the grade - i do it everyday before i go to sleep - it's like some sort of ritual and i cant stop it
    haha

same :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    What about AQA Spec A English Literature: Unit 6 and AQA B Editiorial Writing?! They are both the ones that can drag my grade down. Oh my god, I've resigned myself to the fact I WILL get C's in English when I'm predicted B's and got BBB (the other B being in Philosophy and Ethics) at AS. Argh!

ReputationRep:
    Damn the 1a with War, I died. 1b was sooo sporadic.

(Original post by Magic Potion)
    Damn the 1a with War, I died. 1b was sooo sporadic.
    LTA6?

Yes ... Suicide of an exam paper for me.

ReputationRep:
    I came out of the play/poetry lit exam (AQA A) feeling sick.

Not a good sign.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Envisaging the D/E right now! I didn't even finish it and my points were weak. 1b, though, I have hopes for...

(Original post by Fran Katzenjammer)

Not a good sign.
    I loved our poetry/play one ! It was the best we could have had...what play and poets did you do?

War synoptic was awful for me

ReputationRep:
    Minute Ago 15:04 (Fran Katzenjammer)

Not a good sign.

Three times I sat this. Duffy and Ford. Stupid, stupid exam!

NB Can someone tell me how I can quote properly? Thanks!

(Original post by Magic Potion)
    Yes! Envisaging the D/E right now! I didn't even finish it and my points were weak. 1b, though, I have hopes for...
    I had two history exams right before it, so I don't remember much .

With B, I threw in loads of wider reading but that was about it...So god knows what it will read like!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexandra1234567)
    I loved our poetry/play one ! It was the best we could have had...what play and poets did you do?

War synoptic was awful for me
    I did Hamlet and Lyrical Ballads.
    I think my points were ok, but I just don't think I wrote enough.
    2 pages each question. It's what I usually write, but still...

I have no idea how I did in the synoptic.

(Original post by Fran Katzenjammer)
    I did Hamlet and Lyrical Ballads.
    I think my points were ok, but I just don't think I wrote enough.
    2 pages each question. It's what I usually write, but still...

I have no idea how I did in the synoptic.
    Whoa exact same as me...I did the Ophelia question and the nature one. I blagged LB with loads of stuff about 'the sublime' and Wordsworth being a pantheist and stuff like that.
    Ophelia was excellent though! I felt like I'd done the essay about three times before.
    I think I averaged four and a half for both, which is usually what I do in most handwritten essays...especially as I scrawl.

I'm sure you did fine, do you feel like you said everything you could have?

I'm so worried about synoptic, it's the biggest one! I need an A in English overall as well :\.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.